Diamond tables don't seem that great.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been playing almost solely on Diamonds for about 2 years and I'm realizing these tables are kinda cheap.

1. The ball returns are the worst. I'm not a fan of ball returns anyways, but I've never danced so much trying to figure out which end the cue ball will come out. It's kinda ridiculous considering the popularity of Diamond.

2. The corner pockets seem to malform slightly on at least one of the pockets. Sure... you can blame the installer, but there seems to be an unusually high percentage of Diamonds this happens to. So can you always blame the installer in this case?

3. The wooden frames come with such an artificial looking stain that they all look like veneered plastic that scuffs and holds prints. I understand that high VOC poly can be expensive to buy in larger quantities past a quart (do to strange regulations), but come on, put some quality finish on there.

4. The pocket receptacles are cheap plastic. I've seen balls just jump out like I am playing a carnival game. Would a leather padding be too much to hope for, you can literally buy enough in small quantities at Tandy for under $20 at retail prices to cover all pockets.

5. The ball holders are effective, but cheap and way too small. If you're really going to go cheap and make a wire ball holder, why not make one that can hold at least 14 balls? If you're going to have to have a cut out for tables with ball returns, why does the cut out have to have over hanging lips that make the effective reach in the size of a bird house?

What made these tables have great popularity and why do people insist that the table itself plays well is beyond me. I get the feeling people associate Simonis as being a Diamond only worsted felt and that nobody before Diamond made adjustments to the pocket geometry.

But, but... oh those ball returns.... I hope Diamond stops making them.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
giphy.gif

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been playing almost solely on Diamonds for about 2 years and I'm realizing these tables are kinda cheap.

1. The ball returns are the worst. I'm not a fan of ball returns anyways, but I've never danced so much trying to figure out which end the cue ball will come out. It's kinda ridiculous considering the popularity of Diamond.

2. The corner pockets seem to malform slightly on at least one of the pockets. Sure... you can blame the installer, but there seems to be an unusually high percentage of Diamonds this happens to. So can you always blame the installer in this case?

3. The wooden frames come with such an artificial looking stain that they all look like veneered plastic that scuffs and holds prints. I understand that high VOC poly can be expensive to buy in larger quantities past a quart (do to strange regulations), but come on, put some quality finish on there.

4. The pocket receptacles are cheap plastic. I've seen balls just jump out like I am playing a carnival game. Would a leather padding be too much to hope for, you can literally buy enough in small quantities at Tandy for under $20 at retail prices to cover all pockets.

5. The ball holders are effective, but cheap and way too small. If you're really going to go cheap and make a wire ball holder, why not make one that can hold at least 14 balls? If you're going to have to have a cut out for tables with ball returns, why does the cut out have to have over hanging lips that make the effective reach in the size of a bird house?

What made these tables have great popularity and why do people insist that the table itself plays well is beyond me. I get the feeling people associate Simonis as being a Diamond only worsted felt and that nobody before Diamond made adjustments to the pocket geometry.

What's the alternative? Go back to crappy Gold Crowns? Go back to Olhausen because they were on ESPN?
Growing up in Southern California and having to grind it out on Gold Crowns and then getting to play on a Diamond everyday? Hahahahaha. There is no comparison, its not even close.
I'm not sure what your referring to about dancing around the ball return, you lost me there.
A valid point, however, is that balls can pop out of the back of the pocket.
This happened to Mike Dechaine in a recorded match. The pockets for Diamonds are formed sort of like little ramps and with a powerful stroke with the right english...etc...the ball can pop out (has only happened to me 2-3 times over several years.)
No table is perfect, but Diamonds are a whole lot more perfect than anything else (when access and price are also considered.)

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
I am making my popcorn right now!!!

God bless you for your honesty, whatever it may be.

Now, let me go back and read past the thread title, and first couple of sentences.....

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is no comparison, its not even close.

Well, can you make a comparison? Look at the other 2 posts besides yours, this supports my theory that people are just going with the trend and don't objectivity know what makes a Diamond good over any of the others. I think that Diamond rails are nicer than many I've played on (Blue or Red), but that is about the only thing that stands out about Dismond that seems consistently good.

Yeh I too grew up on those tables as well as National's (I'm in the midwest so National had a larger footprint here), and I know some were just in bad shape, but generally that was due to poor maintenance more than design

I'd be glad to here what about a Diamond table is exclusively superior.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Ill play on any table really i don't give a shit
Valley diamond brunswick on any cloth any size with any ball set but those ugly skittle balls
Any size carom table heated or not dont care what cloth or ball set

With a plain 1 piece butted cue and a single shaft with a single layer tip in a pouchless strapless 1x1 case

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, can you make a comparison? Look at the other 2 posts besides yours, this supports my theory that people are just going with the trend and don't objectivity know what makes a Diamond good over any of the others. I think that Diamond rails are nicer than many I've played on (Blue or Red), but that is about the only thing that stands out about Dismond that seems consistently good.

Yeh I too grew up on those tables as well as National's (I'm in the midwest so National had a larger footprint here), and I know some were just in bad shape, but generally that was due to poor maintenance more than design

It would feel like trying to explain why the earth is round. Can I? No not really. Should I have to? No not really. I don't have the energy to explain something so obvious, maybe somebody else can try.

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
Ill play on any table really i don't give a shit
Valley diamond brunswick on any cloth any size with any ball set but those ugly skittle balls
Any size carom table heated or not dont care what cloth or ball set

With a plain 1 piece butted cue and a single shaft with a single layer tip in a pouchless strapless 1x1 case

Yes!!! This!!!

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
I own a GC3 and every time I get to play on a Diamond I wish that I owned one. I'm not saying I dislike the GC because I love it but to me nothing plays like a Diamond Pro-Am. They are bad ass tables.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree

I own a GC3 and every time I get to play on a Diamond I wish that I owned one. I'm not saying I dislike the GC because I love it but to me nothing plays like a Diamond Pro-Am. They are bad ass tables.

I agree 100% with this. The room I use to play in had 12 Diamonds and 8 Gold Crowns all had 860 Simonis all the same table time. On Fridays and Saturdays you had to wait to get on a Diamond the Gold Crowns were the last to be taken.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'd hate to hear what you'd say about all the other commercial quality tables out there if you've got this many complaints about Diamond's!

JC

Coos Cues

I have a diamond professional with diamondwood rails and it's tougher than anything I have ever seen. Can't dent it and stay's looking good. The new tables with that crappy black stuff are for sure not what they once were. I have drop pockets.

I understand the factory burn't down or diamond probably would still be using it.

I got rid of a pristine GC3 to get this and have not regretted it. The Diamond is made to play on, period.

But it was set up by "He who will be along shortly".

JC

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a GC4.... my clubhouse has 9’Pro Am’s .... oh life is good. To say Diamond tables are crap is would be slightly inaccurate. Just slightly.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I hope nobody planned on RKC working on their table this weekend, he's going to be busy.
Jason