Old
  (#16)
Doug
AzB Silver Member
Doug has a reputation beyond reputeDoug has a reputation beyond reputeDoug has a reputation beyond reputeDoug has a reputation beyond reputeDoug has a reputation beyond reputeDoug has a reputation beyond reputeDoug has a reputation beyond reputeDoug has a reputation beyond reputeDoug has a reputation beyond reputeDoug has a reputation beyond reputeDoug has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-10-2007, 01:00 PM

Not sure about the Vernon/Efren potential matchup but I will ask Vernon when he returns from DCC. I do know that Nick Varner was in Chattanooga looking for action in the mid 80's when he was already a world champion and was being steered by a local for something in the neighborhood of $5K sets. They went to a local action room and asked the owner if he knew of anyone who may match up for that amount with Nick giving reasonable weight. The owner made a few calls and told Nick and his backer that he had located a local player that would play him but he wouldn't play for less than $10K a set. Nick asked who this local player was and the room owner asked him what difference does it make since you're a world champion. Nick said it didn't really matter but he would like to know anyway so the owner said it was Vernon Elliott. After Nick conferred with his backer he told the owner that he would rather not play Vernon at all but if he did he would have to have at least the 8 ball. Vernon wouldn't give the 8 except for some "serious" money so the match never happened.

Verron Elliot
Old
  (#17)
foxx333
AzB Bronze Member
foxx333 is on a distinguished road

Smile Verron Elliot - 05-21-2012, 04:57 PM

Does anyone remember Verron's nick name he used it for many years??
Burnie
I've known Verron since I was 16 about 40 years ago now
One hell of a pool player and teacher
The Foxx

Vernon Elliott
Old
  (#18)
Doug
AzB Silver Member
Doug has a reputation beyond reputeDoug has a reputation beyond reputeDoug has a reputation beyond reputeDoug has a reputation beyond reputeDoug has a reputation beyond reputeDoug has a reputation beyond reputeDoug has a reputation beyond reputeDoug has a reputation beyond reputeDoug has a reputation beyond reputeDoug has a reputation beyond reputeDoug has a reputation beyond repute

Vernon Elliott - 05-21-2012, 06:50 PM

Almost everyone in Chattanooga knew Vernon by his road name "Bernie". In fact many didn't know who Vernon Elliott was.

Old
  (#19)
fathomblue
Rusty Shackleford
fathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond repute

05-31-2012, 05:27 PM

Does anyone here know Monroe Jones?

He's a heckuva player around here in Arkansas. I got a chance to spend some time with him a month or 2 ago and he talked a blue streak about Vernon Elliot training him for about 8-9 months, back in the day.

He said that Vernon had passed away a few years ago? Is this true?

I know one thing, Monroe Jones is stout. I've watched him play maybe only a dozen times, but he's absolutely carved up every single person I've seen......except one. And that was a British guy who appeared out of nowhere at one of our tournaments, and since no one knew him......ended up being grossly underrated. Monroe just couldn't outrun his handicap, even tho he did win more games than the Brit. In an even match, Jones would have walked over the guy.

I do wish I had gotten to spend some time with Vernon. I'm going to ask Monroe about him the next time I get a chance.

Justin Wray

Main Player: Gary Johnson custom 4-pointer w/Ki-tech "hard" tip
Back-up Player: Gary Johnson custom Sneaky Pete w/Ki-Tech "hard" tip
Breaker: Gary Johnson custom "Snowflake" 4-pointer
Jumper: Steve Lomax custom w/silver rings
Retired: Meucci 333-5

Old
  (#20)
Doug
AzB Silver Member

05-31-2012, 05:40 PM

Yeah, afew of us here in Chattanooga got to know Monroe pretty well. As a matter of fact, Vernon and I bought Monroe in a calcutta during a tournament at Charlie's Billiards in Soddy Daisy, Tn which is near Chattanooga. Monroe placed second, I believe, and Vernon and I both won some money. Monroe will remember because it made him real nervous that Vernon had such confidence in him. Really like Monroe and hate that he isn't around anymore.

Old
  (#21)
Horsetrader
AzB Silver Member
Horsetrader has a reputation beyond reputeHorsetrader has a reputation beyond reputeHorsetrader has a reputation beyond reputeHorsetrader has a reputation beyond reputeHorsetrader has a reputation beyond reputeHorsetrader has a reputation beyond reputeHorsetrader has a reputation beyond reputeHorsetrader has a reputation beyond reputeHorsetrader has a reputation beyond reputeHorsetrader has a reputation beyond reputeHorsetrader has a reputation beyond repute

09-23-2014, 04:28 PM

I was in Portsmouth Ohio with Burnie, he had been up there with another short stop from Chattanooga. Early 80's time frame. The local short stop and Burnie had been hustling up there for weeks off and on. We ran into Howard Victory on our last day there. On paying the bill, Vernon said, "if this SOB will bet high enough he can play some too". Howard Victory just peeked out over his thick glasses. He had no idea who Vernon Elliott was or how he played. Howard seem to study Vernon as we walked out the door. The pool room and restaurant was like one place, I never saw them play, I had to leave that day. So sad to leave too. True story!

Last edited by Horsetrader; 09-23-2014 at 04:32 PM.

Old
  (#22)
cueman
AzB Silver Member

cueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

10-22-2014, 08:48 AM

Wade Crane once told me Vernon was one of the top five bank players in the country.

I will share a couple of local stories about Vernon that were told to me.

A local pool room owner ran out the door on a long game on another pool room owner while he was in the bath room. So the room owner that got stiffed sent Vernon up to the other pool room owner's room to win his money back. I talked to the room owner Vernon played right after they played. And he just went on and on about how "lucky that old man was". He did not know who Vernon was and he said the man just slammed balls around and did not play shape and slopped balls over and over and when he missed he hooked him. I asked him and his brother in law who had witnessed the game if it was possible they got hustled. They both said no way and insisted the guy couldn't play shape and missed a lot and just got lucky over and over. Some months later the stiffed pool room owner told me that he had sent Vernon up there. He must have been a good hustler to beat a really strong B plus player on his own table and convince him that he was just really lucky.

In Vernon's last years he would come down to Kennesaw Billiards and just sit around talking to the older players. One day a C player was talking about how much weight in One Pocket he would give another C player. So Vernon asked him how much weight he would give him. So the C player looks over at this old man offers Vernon 9 to 7 in One Pocket. Vernon accepts and after they start playing someone feels sorry for the C player and goes and tells him who he is playing. He pulled up pretty fast to say the least. Even at his old age he could have given the C player a lot of weight yet he would accept the weight if the C player would give it. That C player will bet a lot and Vernon would have probably kept adjusting the weight and won a lot of money if they had not told who he was.

Old
  (#23)
rennerb6
Banned
rennerb6 has a reputation beyond reputerennerb6 has a reputation beyond reputerennerb6 has a reputation beyond reputerennerb6 has a reputation beyond reputerennerb6 has a reputation beyond reputerennerb6 has a reputation beyond reputerennerb6 has a reputation beyond reputerennerb6 has a reputation beyond reputerennerb6 has a reputation beyond reputerennerb6 has a reputation beyond reputerennerb6 has a reputation beyond repute

12-21-2014, 09:06 AM

Hey is nick vida still in Chattanooga? Used to run the same rooms with him in Memphis... Brenner

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: