Ivory joint vs wood-to-wood joints

taozhong

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as I know, most custom cues come with pins such as 3x8/10 or 3x8/11 and are mostly wood to wood joints. Just would like to check with players who have owned both wood to wood joints cues and ivory jointed cues.. How would a cue with lets say, ivory to wood joint play compared to a wood to wood??

Petros Andrikop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The hit of a cue depends on the overall construction, shaft taper among other things.
Usually solid flat ivory joints play stiff, to me it's the "death of the cueball" IMHO.
I would not recommend it unless you play costantly in new cloth..
Petros

Monto P2

Asia Billiards
Silver Member
I agree with Petros 100%, I dont like solid ivory joint at all. I think sleeved with wood to wood, or even sleeved on steel, or full steel joints work. Usually i dont like ivory of any type on my cue.

Cheers.

S

skip

I picked up a very nice ST1 Schon here and had a pivot solid ivory joint put on. Also an leather wrap an Kamui soft tip. It has a crisp hit an to me more feel than my wood to wood jointed cues. I find myself using this cue daily. Just love the look of the ivory joint. I don't have your game but my cue looks cool. :wink:

iownthe412

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played with both piloted and flat faced ivory jointed cues. The hit is totally different. It seems to me that piloted creates a lot more vibration while flat faced is, like everyone else said, very stiff. Even with a LD shaft on my piloted cue, the vibration was crazy, as if the shaft was flexing entirely too much. I liked the different set-ups for different shots that I needed to make but there were also negative aspects that I did not like for others. IMHO, go with wood to wood, the hit is outstanding and the cue ball control is great. I have a wood to wood Jacoby, which is actually for sale (http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=209566) and it plays like a monster. You can feel every shot as if the cue were part of your hand/arm. I'm sure you're going to ask me why I am selling it and it's because it is just too flashy of a cue for me (thats all).

SK Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You just gotta like ivory to play ivory. To like ivory, you gotta know it.... in other words, become familiar with it. I personally love the hit of ivory. The last cue I made was an ivory ferruled and jointed cue with no collars. The hit is magical and very lively. There are many different ways to make a good cue, it just depends on the maker.

You just gotta try it to know what I am talking about.

FASTEDDIE427

BUSTIN' BALLS SINCE '86
Silver Member
I've played with both piloted and flat faced ivory jointed cues. The hit is totally different. It seems to me that piloted creates a lot more vibration while flat faced is, like everyone else said, very stiff. Even with a LD shaft on my piloted cue, the vibration was crazy, as if the shaft was flexing entirely too much. I liked the different set-ups for different shots that I needed to make but there were also negative aspects that I did not like for others. IMHO, go with wood to wood, the hit is outstanding and the cue ball control is great. I have a wood to wood Jacoby, which is actually for sale (http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=209566) and it plays like a monster. You can feel every shot as if the cue were part of your hand/arm. I'm sure you're going to ask me why I am selling it and it's because it is just too flashy of a cue for me (thats all).

that cue is to flashy damn you must be a plain jane kinda guy

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I have tried them all and I cannot tell the difference between them with my eyes closed.

I seriously doubt anyone else can. In fact there was a thread about this some time ago, that I think Randy G. was involved in at a Texas Express Tourney. Test involved identifying the joint type of a cue when it was covered up with tape.

IMHO the most important part of the cue is the first 12 inches, everything else behind that really matters little as long as it is WELL CONSTRUCTED.

Now after saying all of that, my playing cues are either Ivory Flat faced, or Steel with a big pin (3/8 - 10) why is that if I cannot tell the difference...it is because of the six inch void between my ears.

As far as I know, most custom cues come with pins such as 3x8/10 or 3x8/11 and are mostly wood to wood joints. Just would like to check with players who have owned both wood to wood joints cues and ivory jointed cues.. How would a cue with lets say, ivory to wood joint play compared to a wood to wood??

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
Ivory Joints

I've owned a number of cues with ivory joints (flat faced and piloted) and the one that I liked the best was the piloted ivory joint from Paul Mottey in the first picture. The second picture is a flat faced ivory joint on a cue that I own now, but it doesn't hit like the piloted jointed cue in the first picture. I've never played with a cue with a more lively feel than the piloted ivory jointed cue............

James

MotJt.jpg

JtShftssm.jpg

ScottR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've owned a number of cues with ivory joints (flat faced and piloted) and the one that I liked the best was the piloted ivory joint from Paul Mottey in the first picture. The second picture is a flat faced ivory joint on a cue that I own now, but it doesn't hit like the piloted jointed cue in the first picture. I've never played with a cue with a more lively feel than the piloted ivory jointed cue............

James

I'm with James. Piloted ivory is my favorite.

Scott