Can you wet sand the top rails on gold crowns?

I miss alot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On the top of the rails of a gold crown it seems to be some kind of gel coat on top of wood or Formica. Can this be wet sanded to remove light scratches?

I miss alot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On the top of the rails of a gold crown it seems to be some kind of gel coat on top of wood or Formica. Can this be wet sanded to remove light scratches?

Answering this myself as I tried it today and it worked fine with 2000 grit wet sand paper. I was able to get the scratch out and I worked the sand paper by hand only. I then used a polishing compound and a orbital buffer to buff the rails and then finally waxed them. They're looking pretty good I'd say. Just down wet sand to much and only by hand. (only works on Gel Coats over formica (GC), I'm not sure about Poly finishes on stained wood)

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Answering this myself as I tried it today and it worked fine with 2000 grit wet sand paper. I was able to get the scratch out and I worked the sand paper by hand only. I then used a polishing compound and a orbital buffer to buff the rails and then finally waxed them. They're looking pretty good I'd say. Just down wet sand to much and only by hand. (only works on Gel Coats over formica (GC), I'm not sure about Poly finishes on stained wood)

Have any before and after pics? Which Gold Crown? I, II, III, IV, V, Vi?

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
I have gone as far as 600 grit, and have been able to remove some fairly deep scratches. However, if the rails have seen extensive use, the finish may already be worn down a fair amount. Sanding too much could result in removal of the printed wood pattern.

When hand sanding, I always progressively stagger grits up to 2000. If the rails are in fairly good shape, I will sometimes use Scotchbrite pads on a palm sander. Again, staggering abrasiveness, to achieve a finer finish. I finish with an orbital buffer and plastic polish.

Of particular note: it is always easier to polish the formica, with the extruded aluminum trim removed. It also produces a much nicer result. Also, I would never try this with cloth installed.

I miss alot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have gone as far as 600 grit, and have been able to remove some fairly deep scratches. However, if the rails have seen extensive use, the finish may already be worn down a fair amount. Sanding too much could result in removal of the printed wood pattern.

When hand sanding, I always progressively stagger grits up to 2000. If the rails are in fairly good shape, I will sometimes use Scotchbrite pads on a palm sander. Again, staggering abrasiveness, to achieve a finer finish. I finish with an orbital buffer and plastic polish.

Of particular note: it is always easier to polish the formica, with the extruded aluminum trim removed. It also produces a much nicer result. Also, I would never try this with cloth installed.
Great feedback, thank you. I wet sanded using 1500 and 2000 grit and it worked well, I then used a polishing compound and finally a automotive wax. They came out pretty good, I didn't think to use a plastic polisher. Will try that on the next set.