Gold Crown 5 still not right!

iinokeii

Registered
Usually 4-5 days between emails. I don’t want to keep bothering them, but enough to let them know I’m still waiting.

Last edited:

iinokeii

Registered
So they finally came out to level the table, tighten the bolts, made sure it was good to play on again. Even the installers were surprised how bad the table was Unleveled. I’m glad it’s back to playing conditions. I still have a claim with BBB for replacing my felt+install. Johnson said they will ask Their manager to see if that can be done next week. I won’t know until Wednesday.

What gets me is how they claimed I moved the table and cause it to be unleveled. I wish people just did the right thing. Come out and see the table before accusing someone. Business I guess. I will keep you posted. Hoping they will replace my felt since it’s not even 7 months old. She said, it’s already costing them x-amount of month to have people coming out. Sucks, but just do the right thing.

Thanks again to everyone that commented and gave advice. I do appreciate it.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad to hear there has been some forward movement.

Love it when a business eagerly seizes the opportunity to improve its services.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

So they finally came out to level the table, tighten the bolts, made sure it was good to play on again. Even the installers were surprised how bad the table was Unleveled. I’m glad it’s back to playing conditions. I still have a claim with BBB for replacing my felt+install. Johnson said they will ask Their manager to see if that can be done next week. I won’t know until Wednesday.

What gets me is how they claimed I moved the table and cause it to be unleveled. I wish people just did the right thing. Come out and see the table before accusing someone. Business I guess. I will keep you posted. Hoping they will replace my felt since it’s not even 7 months old. She said, it’s already costing them x-amount of month to have people coming out. Sucks, but just do the right thing.

Thanks again to everyone that commented and gave advice. I do appreciate it.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a GC5 because GC are the tables I’ve always shot on. Should’ve gone with the Diamond ProAM and saved me $4k lol...

If it’s not corrected this time, I might ask for a refund or replacement. Thanks.

Nothing wrong with a Gold Crown, I know many people that like how a Gold Crown plays, including me. Set it up right, and it banks better than most Diamonds, pockets are setup to take shots better and you get the great thwack of the pockets when you shoot a ball in. There are few things I hate more that having the ball hit the facing on a Diamond then bobble in the jaws because of the deep shelf. Sure it's "tougher" but I like a well hit ball to actually fall in with a "good enough" shot not just a perfect one each time.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing wrong with a Gold Crown, I know many people that like how a Gold Crown plays, including me. Set it up right, and it banks better than most Diamonds, pockets are setup to take shots better and you get the great thwack of the pockets when you shoot a ball in. There are few things I hate more that having the ball hit the facing on a Diamond then bobble in the jaws because of the deep shelf. Sure it's "tougher" but I like a well hit ball to actually fall in with a "good enough" shot not just a perfect one each time.

I’ve had thousands of balls spit out of GC tables. Those GCs with 5” pockets, when you sight down the rail it looks like the facings are pointed right at you. Just a hair too much speed and they spit out. If the Diamonds were 5” they’d never spit out a decently struck ball. I’ll agree those deep shelves are a pain but the pocket angles are cut properly.

I just sold my GC4 and it was a good playing table, very similar to a Blue Diamond. Too bad Brunswick keeps putting metal castings that stick up from the rails.

Every pool hall I go to that has both Diamonds and GCs, the Diamonds tables are far more popular. It’s not even close.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I’ve had thousands of balls spit out of GC tables. Those GCs with 5” pockets, when you sight down the rail it looks like the facings are pointed right at you. Just a hair too much speed and they spit out. If the Diamonds were 5” they’d never spit out a decently struck ball. I’ll agree those deep shelves are a pain but the pocket angles are cut properly.

I just sold my GC4 and it was a good playing table, very similar to a Blue Diamond. Too bad Brunswick keeps putting metal castings that stick up from the rails.

Every pool hall I go to that has both Diamonds and GCs, the Diamonds tables are far more popular. It’s not even close.

I agree....I’m suspicious of all Gold Crowns....that wide angle of the jaws directs the ball
back instead of in.

I have a practise shot....object ball froze to the long rail one diamond past the side pocket.
...cue ball six inches off the end rail....I try to power the shot high ball and bring it back
to the rail I started from....we have four GC Ones.....with five inch pockets....
..we have three Diamonds with 4.75 pockets..I make the shot at least five times more
often on the Diamonds.

It’s a good shot to practise, BTW, gotta hit it pure....can’t grind it in.

pt.....doesn’t like deep shelves either

iinokeii

Registered

Lol, I totally hear you on the metal casting sticking up. I had to get them to redo them to be as flush as possible. I think if I knew how to, I would take the rails off and readjust. But I don’t have that much knowledge on pool tables. Can’t rest my pool cue and take a shot, risk scratching my cue... smh.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I agree....I’m suspicious of all Gold Crowns....that wide angle of the jaws directs the ball
back instead of in.

I have a practise shot....object ball froze to the long rail one diamond past the side pocket.
...cue ball six inches off the end rail....I try to power the shot high ball and bring it back
to the rail I started from....we have four GC Ones.....with five inch pockets....
..we have three Diamonds with 4.75 pockets..I make the shot at least five times more
often on the Diamonds.

It’s a good shot to practise, BTW, gotta hit it pure....can’t grind it in.

pt.....doesn’t like deep shelves either

Ball rattle takes place in the same outer half of the pockets on all tables, that's the outer half of the facings extending over the end of the cushions. The facing portion that extends over the wooden end of the sub-rail is never where the alls hit first. So miter angles, soft facings, indented facings, all of that plays a roll in rejection of balls. It's when a ball comes to rest in the pocket that the deeper shelf on a Diamond has an effect, but a GC with 5" corner pockets has just as much shelf depth as a Diamond. Place a ball frozen against the facing, as deep as it'll sit in the pocket, then look down the long rails and see if it don't sit as deep as it does on a Diamond with 4 1/2" pockets.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nothing wrong with a Gold Crown, I know many people that like how a Gold Crown plays, including me. ...
Well, maybe, but...

Here's a previous post that may as well be repeated in this thread.

Try standing back and thinking about how you would change a GC to make it better. If you can think of nothing then you are not afflicted with my problem: engineer's attitude.

I have scars on my knuckles because some Brunswick idiot decided to put scorewheels and nameplates exactly where my knuckles pass if I use a nice, level stroke.

I get nasty, greasy goo on my cue when I have to bridge over the cheap fake rubber pocket liners which often stick out and help balls rattle.

People get dings on their cues because the pocket irons are not flush with the rest of the table.

The rack hanger (GC3) is another idiot design.

The scorewheels often don't work, maybe because they get gummed-up with blood.

Put the balls into the front of the table at 1 pocket and they either rattle back and forth or they slide through to your opponent's side. Sometimes they hide behind the obnoxious Brunswick logo/nameplate, which makes counting difficult.

Pretty much every GC3 installed in this area about 1995 has dead/dying cushions. Technically, this is not a design misfeature, but it is broken supply chain monitoring. They started dying within a few years of installation. It makes every cushion contact an adventure.

The GC3 does not have doweled slates. (Usually there are brass pins that pass between adjoining slates to keep them aligned.) Some idiot at Brunswick decided to save a little money on the so-called top-of-the-line table. Good job, fool. This may not apply to all GC3s, but it does to the one I often play on where the foot slate started to buckle up.

The diamond sites on the curved rails are often hard to see.

The drop pockets ("drop" means there is no ball return) hold only three balls if you care about hard shots not being rejected. I shot a shot last night into an empty pocket and the ball took a loop around the bottom of the pocket and jumped back onto the table. Here's a trick I learned from Tony Annigoni: if you are going to shoot a ball hard, make sure there are exactly two balls in the pocket. One sits centered on the drain hole and is likely to spring the new ball back. Two balls are random enough to damp the extra energy. Three starts to be too full, and four is very, very dangerous.

All of the cheap, thin plating has worn off the pocket irons where I play. That happened in the first five years or so. Probably more cost-cutting on the "Cadillac". On older GCs, the metal trim leaves your light-colored pants streaked with oxide.

You might be interested in this comment from the official history of the Brunswick company, an excellent book called "Brunswick - The Story of an American Company - The First 150 Years", written by Rick Kogan and published in 1995 by Brunswick (page 97):
During the 1960s, billiards experienced a renaissance thanks to a film called "The Hustler," starring Paul Newman, Jackie Gleason, Piper Laurie, and George C. Scott. It re-introduced Americans to poolrooms around the county, and new facilities began to go up in suburban shopping centers and middle income neighborhoods. Many of these featured wall-to-wall carpeting, ersatz Tiffany lamps, and pastel tabletops. Most of them featured Brunswick tables. In 1966, some 3,000 new poolrooms opened, the majority called "family billiard centers." Though families sampled, they didn't stay. By 1970, this boom too was bust, and billiards would not again play a major role in Brunswick's operations .
(emphasis mine)

Addendum: Now that Brunswick Billiards has been sold, maybe the new management will change things.