Cue popularity by region

Southern9

Okay guys this is my first post but this is a question I’ve been thinking about for the last couple of weeks.

Does anyone else notice that certain cue makers are more prominent in your region? Here in the south it seems like this is meucci country with the exception of a handful of schons and McDermotts.

Meucci cues are considered the best thing since white bread down here lol.

What cues are most popular in your part of the country?

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In Chicago in the 80’s we had Schuler, Schon, Viking, Jacoby and the Cadillac of cues Cognisinti.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Custom cue-makers that are known for being excellent craftsmen are popular nationwide
and aren’t limited to any particular region. Common sense tells you these cue-makers
would have a following with pool players in their neck of the woods but if you examine
their sales records, the’ popularity of their cues extended coast to coast, not just a region.

4scarecrow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Poolhall60561 is correct about the Midwest. There are plenty of Diveney cues in the hands of good players out here.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Custom cue-makers that are known for being excellent craftsmen are popular nationwide
and aren’t limited to any particular region. Common sense tells you these cue-makers
would have a following with pool players in their neck of the woods but if you examine
their sales records, the’ popularity of their cues extended coast to coast, not just a region.

Common sense would say you don't want to bet there werentmore Scruggs cues sold within 200mi radius of Baltimore than any other equally-sized circle.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The name is COGNOSCENTI.....(Joe Gold, a top Chicago area pool player before he became a very talented cue-maker).
Sorry Joe Gold,

But, I could never afford one.
I’m sorry I didn’t buy his plane Jane cue for $900 back in the day. It came with 2 shafts. Probably $1800 today

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Parrot cues were immensely popular in the VA/VA Beach region. Took me years to finally track one down.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because he lived here in Tulsa a while JossWest's have always been popular. Verl Horn during his days, Jim Ingram(still building), Andy Gilbert, Ron Haley and Eddie Farris all have a following in these parts. McD's and Meucci's have always been the big production brands around here.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
Round here it's Josey - very good cuemaker, very local. Always involved and willing to just work on cues that aren't his. Tips, cleaning, repairs. Great guy.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Common sense would say you don't want to bet there werentmore Scruggs cues sold within 200mi radius of Baltimore than any other equally-sized circle.

I agree. The best of each region may be known all over the country and in the hands of a few, but will still have a bigger following within their region.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
interesting thread- thanks for posting.
hope it's ok to riff..
I'm now wondering
if there are any other common regional cue attributes out there?
such as a tip, shaft size/taper, weight, joint preference, pinstripes, etc.