Switching to a low deflection shaft, pros and cons?

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
I've played all my serious pool using an old school maple shaft.

For those that have tried the low deflection shafts as well as non-low deflection shafts:

- What do you see as the pros and cons?

- How did it affect your level of play?

- Also, what do most of the professionals use these days?

Thanks in advance for sharing,

Matt

Big Perm

1pkt 14.1 8 Banks 9 10
Silver Member
Matt,

I've used maple all my life.....tried a few of them, I just could not adjust....I automatically adjust for deflection naturally and the hit was too different for me....

A ton of my buds use OB shafts and they all swear by them like those things are made of gold....their work is definite quality, and it seems to work for a ton of people in the DFW area....

If you really want to switch over, find a friend with one and put in some quality time....it might just be the trick for you....good luck in your search....

Jason

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I made the switch a couple of years ago, and I love it! I couldn't make a ball the first day I played with my OB1, but once I adjusted I was able to do things easier than with my old maple shaft.

The downside is now if I go to a pool room without my stick and use a house cue, I look like a jackass and I can't make a ball!

Only ERO's

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

For those that have tried the low deflection shafts as well as non-low deflection shafts:

Matt

I have been through this numerous times. I started with a standard shaft and then changed to a Predator and have changed back. I shot with a standard shaft for 16 years, then with a Predator for about 2 years, and now back to a standard shaft for 4 years.

Pros/Cons: I would have to say the largest thing is "consistency". I use quotes because you can become quite consistent without the low deflection shaft. The low deflection shaft will allow you aim at the same spot (or relatively close) no matter how you are shooting the ball. The standard shaft will force you to involve some standard "feel" of how the much the shots are going to bend.

One con is that you can't pick up a cue anywhere you go and expect to play good with it. You can't jump back and forth between a low deflection and a standard shaft.

I feel there are some shots you need to bend the cue ball around objects to make the object balls. Especially on a bar table.

I felt the Predator made my big table game better just by the fact that is raised my confidence. I was never afraid to leave difficult shape or distance because I felt I knew I could make that shot.

I have thought about going back to a Predator (even bought one and played with it a while) but remember, there is a long transition period. I would highly recommend just shooting drills if you change. Playing games becomes really frustrating when you continuously dog shots you should be making. Drills will allow you see where you are making the mistakes.

Overall, I think the low deflection can raise your level, but it is mostly on the confidence factor. Practice and learning alone will also take your game to a higher level with using the same equipment.

It is a never ending battle. I recommend choosing one side and staying with it.

cswann1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello all. I've been lurking around a bit and I thought I'd make my first contribution here because I think it's a hot topic these days, especially for those who are bitten by the pool bug and want to progress quickly.

Firstly, look at the past masters of the game. These guys became phenomenal players with equipment that would seem poor by todays standards. They picked a cue that felt good to them and learned to use it to best of their considerable ability.

I think a player who is interested in getting the most from himself and his equipment should stick with what he has and.....practice, practice, practice. Then practice some more. Once you get to the point to where break and runs are a regular thing, not just once in a while, then you "might" consider switching. If you already have a low deflection shaft, fine. Learn to use it, and enjoy this great sport.

And after all, the really great players can smoke us average joes with whatever they happen to have in their hand. They just know pool, which has come from years of playing/practicing it.

I agree with Joe Tucker when he says that a player will benefit more in the long run if he takes the time to learn to play well using english with a normal shaft.

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are many arguments pro and con for using a low deflection shaft. My playing cue is a custom cue worth a few thousand dollars and made by a highly respected cue maker. I played with the original shaft, complete with an ivory ferrule, for about five years and have now played with the Predator Z shaft for two years. I have tried to return to the old (original) shaft several times because it seems to violate the purity of the original cue maker’s intent. The original shaft is a thing of beauty and is of course as straight as a die. However, I keep returning to the Z shaft because it simply plays better given its low deflection characteristics. Here is my reasoning.

Lets say you had a tractor that tended to veer left or right every time you used it. I once had a tractor like that. Over time you get used to how the thing drives and automatically compensate for the “unique” characteristics of your equipment. Then you come upon a new tractor that does not veer and it seems to be a thing of beauty. You can now spend your driving time on other things. Of course at first you have to learn or re-learn that you do not need to over correct.

Some people will tell you that the old tractor is still the better tractor. Perhaps, but I prefer the best equipment I can get because it makes my job easier in the long run.

I am not emotionally involved with any of the equipment I use. The car never becomes part of the family in my life. I just want the best that I can afford. I have not had much experience with other low deflection shafts but I have found what works well and makes my job easier. It took awhile but I have come to accept my basterized equipment as the best I can get.

Last edited:

madfox

I love pool ...
Silver Member
The low - deflection shaft will allow you to be more consistent, it has better performances ( let's say it imparts more spin to the cue ball). However the feel is not as pure like a good old maple shaft. Almost al pro's have LD shafts. I would recommend 314 from Predator, it is the easiest to learn. Z is like riding a wild horse an OB seems too flexible.
Hope this helps

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
The low - deflection shaft will allow you to be more consistent, it has better performances ( let's say it imparts more spin to the cue ball). However the feel is not as pure like a good old maple shaft. Almost al pro's have LD shafts. I would recommend 314 from Predator, it is the easiest to learn. Z is like riding a wild horse an OB seems too flexible.
Hope this helps

the 314 or the 314-2?

Thanks to all so far for the input.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
I have tried the predator 314 (1) and the z shaft, have also hit with teh OB-1. They are fine if you like them but I perfer my standard maple shaft with Ivory ferrules and a nice tip.

For the amateur players, spending the money and time developing a good stroke is priceless. Far too many people think they can buy a $200 shaft and their game is going to change over night. That's just one man's opinion. Nice thread by the way.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Matt,

What's happening is players are now starting to assume that all conventional shafts are high deflection shafts - but they're not.

Problem is, conventional maple shafts are pretty inconsistent. I've played with many that are great shafts and exhibit low squirt and like them. I've played with some that I wouldn't gamble 5 cents with.

You might be playing with a lower deflection conventional shaft and hardly notice a difference between your aim points and a Predator. Tip size matters a lot too.

If you're used to a thicker shaft and want to try LD, definitely get a new 314-2 shaft to fit or a "partial" that has a decent ferrule etc and get it fitted to your cue by a cue maker. The older ones had weak ferules. Only you can answer the question on if it's right for your game. for some people it is and for some it's not - no way to know in advance.

Later on if you like it and feel the need to experiment you can. I recently bought a Predator Z and after a few weeks of playing with it found I did not play as well as I did with my 314-2. The small tip makes a big difference.

Chris

PistolPat

Flip Strokin' since 91
Silver Member
My transition wasnt difficult at all.........

The only difference in any of the LD shafts I use on my cues is that it feels a little on the lighter side compared to the original shafts made for any of my cues. Well, that and the fact that I can't " flex " the LD shafts into the cloth when I draw power stroke shots. If I do I'll most likely break the shaft over time.

Last edited:

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member

Matt
I was struggling with deflection and trying to improve my game when a friend of mine suggested that I try a Predator 314 shaft. I bought one and gave it a try and I was lost on how to play with it. I sold the shaft and went back to my maple shaft. I found out later that I didn't give the shaft a chance and I gave up on it too soon.

I learned a new aiming system and tried Predator shafts again and i'm a new player. The difference for me is amazing and my speed has increased so much it's unbelievable. If you end up trying a LD shaft give it enough time so you can adjust to it before you make up your mind about sticking with it or going back to maple.

James

Shaft

Hooked and Improving
Silver Member
Cons:

In my opinion, solid maple shafts look better. (Some are stunning.)

Some people don't like the "feel" or "hit" of laminated shafts...whatever that means...it is purely personal preference.

Pros:

Laminated LD shafts are more consistent, both radially and between shafts.

Solid shafts are a gamble. I understand some are great, some not.

Laminated LD shafts do deflect less. (But you can get used to anything.)

I have a Z2 and an OB2. I like the OB2 better, but I cannot tell you scientifically why. It might be all in my head. I am not a great player and I have not owned many cues.

radge69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One other thing to consider, if you're the type that likes to get new cues fairly often, shooting with a LD shaft makes things easier. Buy a new cue with the same joint as your old cue, you just use your LD shaft and you don't have to relearn a shaft. I have numerous cues with the same joint, I can use any of them and still use my predator shafts. My game doesn't change with any of the different butts, because I'm using the same shaft as always. Also, if you need a new shaft, you just get another LD (predator, OB, ect) shaft and it plays pretty much the same as the old one. With a regular maple shaft, that can't be said.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
One other thing to consider, if you're the type that likes to get new cues fairly often, shooting with a LD shaft makes things easier. Buy a new cue with the same joint as your old cue, you just use your LD shaft and you don't have to relearn a shaft. I have numerous cues with the same joint, I can use any of them and still use my predator shafts. My game doesn't change with any of the different butts, because I'm using the same shaft as always. Also, if you need a new shaft, you just get another LD (predator, OB, ect) shaft and it plays pretty much the same as the old one. With a regular maple shaft, that can't be said.

Are you saying if I switch butts while using the same maple shaft - that the play characteristics would be more different than switching butts on the same LD shaft? Why would that be?

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
Cons:

In my opinion, solid maple shafts look better. (Some are stunning.)

Some people don't like the "feel" or "hit" of laminated shafts...whatever that means...it is purely personal preference.

****CASH FERRULE-LESS SHAFT****

You can have your cake and eat it too........with our SOLID Maple ferrule-less LD shaft.

012-7.jpg

Read about it here:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=151655