Would LED Lighting Work For Pool Tables?

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
I'd love to hear thoughts on advantages and disadvantages. Why aren't they in use, or are they? They use less power and the issue of heat wouldn't exist.

Thanks, and Happy Holidays!

Matt

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
They would work great, and LED's use much less power. Just that, nobody has bothered to market one for a pool table. Not long ago, CFL's cornered the regular lightbulb market. Soon there will be LED's that screw into a regular bulb base, and those will take over the compact flourescent market. Theyre just milking it right now, holding back the bulb technology to sell specialty LED lights and products.

OKDog

Registered
They have LEDs that screw into a regular light socket but they are expensive. Around $40 to $80 or more a bulb. Search "PAR38 LED". The optics on the LEDs (angle the light spreads) would matter the most I am not sure what you would need to light a pool table.

par38ledbulbdim.jpg

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Some Years back on this very channel there was an AZr who was making a LED table light and I have wondered how it turned out.

If I remember right it was shaped similar to a Dimond light. Anyone else remember it?

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a four light fixture. I'm testing 2 LED bulbs in the center two fixtures. I have the type of LED bulb that looks like a regular incandescent bulb.

The light is stark white. There is little yellow at all. Next to the two regular bulbs these look grey. I can't tell any difference in the way the balls look on the table.

I like them better than the curly cue bulbs.

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
I have a four light fixture. I'm testing 2 LED bulbs in the center two fixtures. I have the type of LED bulb that looks like a regular incandescent bulb.

The light is stark white. There is little yellow at all. Next to the two regular bulbs these look grey. I can't tell any difference in the way the balls look on the table.

I like them better than the curly cue bulbs.

Can you please tell us the details please, wattage, where it was purchased, and the price?

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I purchased them at Home Depot (Ithink) on sale earlier this year.

This is whats on the bulb.
Utilitech PRO LA19DM/LED
7.5 Watts 120VAC 60 HZ 90mA
430 lumens UL#E343725
SBULB-8W-R02D

I'm using two of those and two 60 watt incandscent GE Extra Life White bulbs.

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
The only issue I could see would be that LEDS generally each provide a relatively narrowly focused beam or light. If enough units could be used and diffused to the point of throwing an evenly washed light source then it should be a great option.

The issues generally is that at this point that is not the kind of light that LEDs are typically expected to produce. But it doesn't mean they are not capable.

rugerfan

Got a Snakewood fetish...
Silver Member
What about something like this?

41%2B1jFh8RqL.jpg

Direct 48" bulb replacement for florescent table fixtures. I'm sure them make different sizes...

41RbUo9K9FL.jpg

Last edited:

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Interesting and well done youtube video.

Rugerfan - I've never seen bulbs like that. Are they LED???

Thanks for the input my friends!

Any more people have any thoughts/experiences?

Cheers!

Matt

Last edited:

rugerfan

Got a Snakewood fetish...
Silver Member
Yes, they are LED bulbs. My understanding is that they are direct replacement bulbs for fixtures that use florescent tubes (a lot of folks use these "shop" type lights over their tables). To get around the narrow focus issue is to add a defused lens over the LED, kinda how the second bulb pictured is done. I think the current drawback to these bulbs is price but that will come down over time.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
here is the light you may be referring to. The man who makes them in Tom Carmichael in Tulsa

If you're gonna try making one, better get out your electrical degree & dust it off.

They are great & aren't that expensive, but are difficult to manufacture.

The first picture is overly lighted, because of the flash on my camera.

Attachments

• Bob at table.jpg
    Bob at table.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 5,652
  • Magoo's Tournament.jpg
    Magoo's Tournament.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 5,714
Last edited:

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will inform Mr Tom Carmichael about this, he's been in Tulsa for years & years..

219Dave

Pool is my therapy
Silver Member
Hope you don't mind my reviving a five year old thread, but was wondering if in the past few years more az'ers have started using led lights for their home tables?

Last edited:

Atlatlien

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hope you don't mind my reviving a five year old thread, but was wondering if in the past few years more az'ers have started using led lights for their home tables?

Here's a little reading material for ya: :grin-square:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=354379
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=387261
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=348495
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=348839
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=414153