How wrong is this facing?

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
so the work of total cloth recovering I was talking about in this thread started.

This is how the pockets were done before. These might be two facings stacked together or maybe it's the very same double-layer rubber they are going to use now. It is as thick as 9 mm...

facing-old.jpg

facing rubber.jpg

I know extending the rail is the way to go, but it turned out that's out of question this time (no time and no money for such work). So the question my friend asked, whether it is correct the mechs are going to make the facing of that single piece of rubber (to keep the opening size at least).

facing new type 1.jpg

I suggested they try doing it this way. If wooden subrail extension can not be done now, replace it with rubber "extension" and mount a facing upon that one, so that the facing is of proper thickness.

facing new type 2.jpg

Later my friend send me a message this way the balls rattle more. I didn't have a chance to talk to him, so I don't know which way they picked but I guess it would be one single thick facing.

Please comment on any of the pockets pictures. I have a strong feeling they are all wrong to some extent, but which would you call the better of others?

Last edited:

Vahmurka

Silver Member
Why would the ball rattle more with thinner facing?
Zach once said If you have the same pocket dimensions and angles on 2 different tables, the only difference being the thickness of facings, one table having 1/8 and the other having 3/16 the, the 1/8 facings will rattle more balls in the jaws. Then why the equipment specs require them facings to be thin rather than thick, if it leads to more rattled balls?

In one of previous threads there was a question which remained unanswered, and I'm curious to know the reply:
can anybody tell me why it is bad to stack the facings?

(Travis once told me the ends of the cushions at the pocket openings will play like they are dead but still I didn't get this one clear enough)
What is meant under the rail playing dead? Does it make pocketing easier? Or on the contrary the ball gets rejected more? Or it doesn't go in and always stays in the jaws while it hsould have rebounded naturally?

Also, fellow mechanics, please give a reply to this question I asked about finding the spot.

Last edited:

Vahmurka

Silver Member
apparently among 160 viewers (as of now) of my question none of the them were skilled mechanics :boring2:

Or there were several who wouldn't bother to help:confused: For instance, that's pretty sad seeing RKC visited the forum after my questions and didn't give any insight. Well, I realize that's not his obligation, but before he used to pay more attention. Or is it just my impression? (No, I don't think so. My previous question about pocket angles received almost as many response as this one. Thanks to those who chimed in and to Travis once again, hats off man)

realkingcobra

Silver Member
apparently among 160 viewers (as of now) of my question none of the them were skilled mechanics :boring2:

Or there were several who wouldn't bother to help:confused: For instance, that's pretty sad seeing RKC visited the forum after my questions and didn't give any insight. Well, I realize that's not his obligation, but before he used to pay more attention. Or is it just my impression? (No, I don't think so. My previous question about pocket angles received almost as many response as this one. Thanks to those who chimed in and to Travis once again, hats off man)

Haven't been on much lately, been busy. To answer your questions, 1/8" facings vs 3/16" playing different is because the 3/16" facings provide for a little less compression of the cushion in the pocket angle as a ball is being pocketed, therefore rejecting less balls than a facing being 1/8" will do.

Doubling up facings, or 9mm facings, problem with doing that is that at the points of the cushions they become so stiff, when a ball hits right on the point of the cushions..they drop dead, meaning they loose all bounce, and will even change angles on a bank coming up short on a cross side bank if the banked ball hits the cushion right next to the facings. As far as how they react in the pockets, the balls have no bounce back and forth in the pocket at all because as soon as the ball hits the pocket facing it just dies as well and drops back into the pocket, but hit the point of the cushion going into the pocket the ball just dies right there, cross over to the other side, hits that pocket point then bounces out of the pocket.

Hope this helps you understand a little better buddy:thumbup:

Glen

Vahmurka

Silver Member
Joey, thanks for your reply, whatever it was :embarrassed2: I don't think you should have removed your opinion after an expert joined, because variety of opinions does help to have a wider view of a subject. Well, thanks again.

Glen, you made my day by not missing my question :thumbup: We are really looking to make the best of it and regret that current situation with subrails and/or angles can not be changed.

Guys, as time runs and table work proceeds, it's pretty urgent to know which is better of those "not good enough" facing types - one single facing that replaces the cushion or making a sort of subrail extension with rubber and cutting cushion longer, finishing with thinner facing?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Joey, thanks for your reply, whatever it was :embarrassed2: I don't think you should have removed your opinion after an expert joined, because variety of opinions does help to have a wider view of a subject. Well, thanks again.

Glen, you made my day by not missing my question :thumbup: We are really looking to make the best of it and regret that current situation with subrails and/or angles can not be changed.

Guys, as time runs and table work proceeds, it's pretty urgent to know which is better of those "not good enough" facing types - one single facing that replaces the cushion or making a sort of subrail extension with rubber and cutting cushion longer, finishing with thinner facing?

Here's the deal. If instead of a cushion facing being used to extend the sub-rail first, 1/8" plywood was used instead, then a 3/16" neoprene facing was installed last....you'd be doing about the same amount of work, only it would turn out better in the end:grin: