What Do You Want From Pool? A Message From THE Tubes...

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
I want to give my opponent a hard challenge, be consistent, break and run, bank well, be accurate and mostly just enjoy myself. I want to be able to retire in a place that has a table and spend some time there playing other old folks and reminiscing on Efren playing Earl and when we were younger going to nationals and stuff like that.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
I want to give my opponent a hard challenge, be consistent, break and run, bank well, be accurate and mostly just enjoy myself. I want to be able to retire in a place that has a table and spend some time there playing other old folks and reminiscing on Efren playing Earl and when we were younger going to nationals and stuff like that.

That's a genuine, respected response. Surely desertshark you've gone through different chapters in your pool playing experiences to get to where you are now.

It took me a while...

Ty-Tanic

Ty-Tanic Makes U Panic
Silver Member
I play pool for many reasons. I think the biggest reason is the challenge. Every table and every rack offers a new experience. It doesn't just offer a experience but a challenging experience as well, which even if your not playing for money gives a great reward for running out the rack or just playing a great game. To play great pool consistently you have to be a master of the self to stay in stroke and to stay level heading under pressure. Pool offers a lot of different experiences and competition. It has so many variables to consider as well, such as your cue, the table, the balls, the rack, the player, and ect ect. Pool is a art form when played at the highest levels and that's why I love it. Simply what I want from pool, is for the players to give it the respect it deserves.

Last edited:

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
I play pool for many reasons. I think the biggest reason is the challenge. Every table and every rack offers a new experience. It doesn't just offer a experience but a challenging experience as well, which even if your not playing for money gives a great reward for running out the rack or just playing a great game. To play great pool consistently you have to be a master of the self to stay in stroke and to stay level heading under pressure. Pool offers a lot of different experiences and competition. It has so many variables to consider as well, such as your cue, the table, the balls, the rack, the player, and ect ect. Pool is a art form when played at the highest levels and that's why I love it. Simply what I want from pool is the respect it deserves.

^^tap tap!^^

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
A world championship before I am 20 errrr 25.... Bah... 30... OK 35... Damnit 40.... WTF 45.... GAHHHHHHH... 50.... A world championship before I turn 50!!!!!!

Chris ;)

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
I play pool for the competition and comraderie. I love traveling and going to different cities and countries and taking on great players. I lose more often than I win, but just being able to compete, earn (a little) respect and make some new friends is enough for me. I've lived overseas most of my life and I don't think I would have been able to be away from home as long as I have without pool and the relationships I've made through the game. Wherever I am, as long as there's a pool table and poolplayers, I kind of feel like I'm home.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Tubes lol....

Now I have the xanadu soundtrack stuck in my head ....thanks matt.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
A world championship before I am 20 errrr 25.... Bah... 30... OK 35... Damnit 40.... WTF 45.... GAHHHHHHH... 50.... A world championship before I turn 50!!!!!!

Chris ;)

What's that line from Caddy Shack?

Miss. Miss. Miss Newnun.

Well.... We're waiting! ;) (Ted Baxter ?)

Yet, ... I'm trying to draw out what pool means to the masses. Don't make me start another skewed, meaningliss poll. :grin-square: I can't stay on topic after midnght EST.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
The Tubes lol....

Now I have the xanadu soundtrack stuck in my head ....thanks matt.

Olivia Nwton John = The Tubes = John Coltraine.

O'Rly?

KK9 < should start threads before cocktail hour (but I knew I could draw your historically en-Pscyclopedia out of the woodwork, which gives me much pleasure my respected friend)

XANADU DOES NOT EQUATE TO MY OP SONG! I AM INCENSED! :mad:

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
I play pool for the competition and comraderie. I love traveling and going to different cities and countries and taking on great players. I lose more often than I win, but just being able to compete, earn (a little) respect and make some new friends is enough for me. I've lived overseas most of my life and I don't think I would have been able to be away from home as long as I have without pool and the relationships I've made through the game. Wherever I am, as long as there's a pool table and poolplayers, I kind of feel like I'm home.

Us stuck in the mud from the usa, have a hard time understanding the inner workings of - is it termed "ex-patriots"?

I may have derailed the thread, but it's awesome the international, cross culture input chooses to express!

zeronine

Registered
what i want from pool is the feeling you get when you see a shot in your mind, then play it perfectly on the table.

i can play shit all night but still remember those 1 or 2 perfect shots, or the other night playing 9ball ghost the balls looked impossible after the break but somehow i ran out.

other sports have poor weather, bad conditions, poor lie, unpredictable teams, shit refereeing, lousy equipment etc. Playing the ghost or straight pool - it's just you verses the game, and not much is as honest and rewarding as learning a game which leaves no place to hide.

syphinhex

Registered
Well,

As someone who was born in the late 80s, I find myself more interested in pool than other people I grew up with. For them pool was something to kill a little time with while at a bar, for me it was my reason for going to the bar(outside of girls of course). I can't really explain what I find so fun about the repetative nature of the game, especially with as frustrating as it can be to make movie-like shots sometimes then the next game or even the next shot miss a really easy shot. But at the end of the day I guess pool to me is just a really classy, fun hobby.

My ultimate goal in pool is to maybe get a really nice cue(I currently only play with a $200 viking) and play like I deserve it. I just want to walk into a pool room and be competition for anyone in the room, as my dad said to me years ago it's an easy game to be good at but a hard game to get great at. If I make a little money or lose a little money on friendly bets along the way that only increases the fun and competition of the sport.

lastdimetaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got what I want a chance to make money doing what I love to do. I may not ever get rich but the opportunity is there at every level. Pool is equal opportunity sport. Gives the average Joe a chance to better himself pool reflects the American Dream. I been driving a truck for 20 years and that's all the opportunity I will ever get, no matter how hard I work I will drive a truck. I have been playing pool for 20 years I opened a pool hall, I became a instructor I became a player I have been to at least a hundred pool halls, met legends, pool gives me opportunity that's what I want in life. Give me the opportunity to prove that there is more to me. .. Good luck

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a player, many years ago I purchased a 8 foot table with really tight and deep pockets and it took forever to run my first table as I wanted to be as good as a close buddy of mine. At the time, I wanted to beat him once, then beat him a bunch and as my game turned into something, I wanted my good enough to let the best players first in the league and then the state to know that even though their experience and ability were better than mine at the time, that they knew I gave 100% every trip to the table. Once past that, to luckily be part of teams that had respectful players who had fun and was top notch competitive. We did not go hunting to put a team together from excellent players, but, rather pushed ourselves to meet the challenge. I feel the league championships, the league mvp's, the three perfect matches, the state championships, the seven state championships, the countless top four finishes or even top 16 finishes, the international results I have earned once in a while has pretty much met or exceeded my hobby status of amateur pool. Finally, this year of my 53rd year of life, I finally made it to the championship arena as I competed for the vnea international 9 ball championship, but ended up finishing second. To play in the championship arena was for me, the one thrill I did not have under my belt as a individual shooter. The event was in the classic division which is for 50 year old competition and great players with a lot of knowledge were there and it was a rare time to shine for myself, but, by golly, it was my time to shine.
As a cue seller: I was once turned down a Mcdermott D-19 I wanted to buy many years ago as the owner said since I drove so far to his establishment, I would buy something in his store, so the discount was not available to me even though other people that were there at the same time I was could purchase the cue with the discount ??? I was already selling a few cues for Paul Huebler at the time, but, by noon the next day, I was a Mcdermott Dealer with two Mcdermott D-19's coming my way. My goal in selling cues is to try and give the best possible cue for the buyers money and every so often, to try everything I can to land that cue that is a dream for someone. It always can't happen of course, but, when I have had the situation become a reality, an extra great feeling inside me is quenched as of course, I know the downside feeling of what happened to me. I still get a rush from playing pool and have the fire to compete and also still get a rush from completing a successful sale as I also have the fire to compete. I just love pool, but, maybe because I have kept it as a hobby, I have enjoyed it more.

Last edited:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
What I want from Pool?

I want a challenging game and I love to practice challenging myself to learn different aspects of it by unlocking keys to different things. I like meeting people, making friends and have a social network around the game. I would love to see it more popular but maybe that will come in time.

maestro de pool

Focus Concetration Nerves
Silver Member
The Game.It is playing by hustlers,tournament players(so they called themselves),kids ,older people,rich,poor,boys ,girls anyone who felt the first time he pocket a ball that magic satisfaction that put him in the world of pocket billiards.
Now why after years everybody ,anywere on this planet still like it?Is it the joy of the game ,of yourself trying to be (imagine)a great player?maybe Reyes or Earl?is it the illusion that ..hey i can do that!is it the sportsman or the Hustler we carry inside ourselves?
I think maybe all the above and more but most off all the first joy we all got when we as kids play the very first time,and the competitive that we have more or less women too,i beet you lets play some pool tonight and maybe you learn something!!!!!!!!!!
sorry about my english i am not an american I am just an ordinary player that i quit my job, divorce my wife stop sleeping,and play 8ball,9ball,10ball,14.1 cont,rotation,one pocket (only fooling my wive got me chiao!@%$^%&&

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tim...and don't forget another important element...you have a life partner/wife who has some of the same passion that you do, for the sport (hi Trish :D!).

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I got what I want a chance to make money doing what I love to do. I may not ever get rich but the opportunity is there at every level. Pool is equal opportunity sport. Gives the average Joe a chance to better himself pool reflects the American Dream. I been driving a truck for 20 years and that's all the opportunity I will ever get, no matter how hard I work I will drive a truck. I have been playing pool for 20 years I opened a pool hall, I became a instructor I became a player I have been to at least a hundred pool halls, met legends, pool gives me opportunity that's what I want in life. Give me the opportunity to prove that there is more to me. .. Good luck

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have fun...

I want to have fun above all else. I want to be able to play with decent shooters that also love the game. I want to play with a good attitude and be a good sportsman and have others do like wise. I want a pool hall to open up in this little Alaskan town. Our pool hall closed down over 2 years ago and there are no 9' tables around to play on. Woe is me.