Why do some European players move to the US?

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
It's not like we have a ton of rich tournaments to compete in.

Better food? Women? Weather?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Action....and more exciting tournaments.
I've been to Britain several times...80s and 90s...the game was very popular over there...
...but I only saw one room that reminded me of North America...
...the King's Cross Snooker Centre in London.

Even though the game is at a low ebb over here....it's still one of the most exciting places
to be in the world if you're a pool player.
Even the Pinoys get more high priced action here.

Good to see you posting, Kat

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
+1 here, Matt! You've been AWOL for a very long time. I hope things are going better for you these days!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Action....and more exciting tournaments.
I've been to Britain several times...80s and 90s...the game was very popular over there...
...but I only saw one room that reminded me of North America...
...the King's Cross Snooker Centre in London.

Even though the game is at a low ebb over here....it's still one of the most exciting places
to be in the world if you're a pool player.
Even the Pinoys get more high priced action here.

Good to see you posting, Kat

Thanks for the kind words ole friends! :eek: :D

I started the thread after reading more & more of Appleton's social media writings & good "press". He seems to be moving the needle. :thumbup:

On topic... I hear you pt109 @ action & rooms, etc. Interesting. Never thought the action here could be enough to cast a living on. & I never have been across the pond so I can't speak to what you say. TY for sharing that.

Although if I did go across, it would include London (I might pack my own lunch tho ;) )

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not like we have a ton of rich tournaments to compete in.

Better food? Women? Weather?
What's not to like about White Castle, pole-dancers and tornadoes? There, i covered all three topics. Seriously though, a lot of it is just the scale of the place. Most Euro countries are about as big as Oregon. Just roaming around the country appeals to a lot of people. At a CamelTour event in the late 90's there were some British players in town. They had rented a big-a^% land-yacht and were just amazed at stuff we all take for granted.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
KoolKat....sometimes familiarity breeds contempt.
....tend to take things for granted where you live.

The US of A is the third biggest country in the world...Only Russia and Canada are bigger.
But the US has by far the most varied climates...from polar to subtropical....
....mountains and deserts....great waterways.

The USA is the best country I've ever travelled in....
...and probably 85% of my best times in any form of billiards has been as a guest of
America.

pt...been coast to coast....and Gulf to Gitche Gumee

Gorramjayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try paying European tax rates and owning a home big enough for a pool table with just your earnings playing pool and sponsorships. The few that take up in major pool cities (NYC) do not exactly have fancy apartments and supplement their earnings other ways. The others live in BFE.. Thorsten Hohmann for example, from one of the wealthiest countries, is in Jacksonville FL. Shane, who makes more than just about anybody, is still in SD. Travel expenses are another part of it.

If you're going to make your living on pool you're going to have to give up a lot of the finer things, like European residence.

Last edited:

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More better

We live in the best country in the world and I love my little hick town.

I can't imagine living in a crowded place, it would drive me nuts, I will never live where I can't go pee in my own yard with out worrying about some little kid or a lady seeing me.

Freedom is a wonderful blessing. Heck, most of them can't even go to the store and buy a gun.

They come from a "settled" land that is crowded. They love America and they should prove it by playing for Team USA in the Mosconi Cup!

Darn cherry picking freeloaders!

Apocalypse2017

Welcome to the resistance
Silver Member
What up KoolKat!!!!

The real question is:

If we can have a Euro captain then we should be able to have players that live in the US for the Mosconi?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Given that American food is some of the very worst in the entire world, I doubt it's that. :eek:

You could try asking them though?

Nobody is holding a gun to your head, telling you you gotta eat at fast food chains.

I'll put up American diners and truck stop food against any counrty's cuisine....
...where you aren't paying an arm and a leg for "fine dining"....
...these diners are like eating in your aunt's kitchen.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Given that American food is some of the very worst in the entire world, I doubt it's that. :eek:

You could try asking them though?
England has THE worst food on the planet. I don't know where all you've eaten in the U.S. but some of the best restaurants in the world are here. You must eat a LOT of fast food.

Blue Jam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
England has THE worst food on the planet. I don't know where all you've eaten in the U.S. but some of the best restaurants in the world are here. You must eat a LOT of fast food.

Given the obesity rates, it's clear that Americans eat waaaay more fast food than the UK.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I hung around a pool hall in Decatur IL for a while...the owner, Jerry, had taken out four
pool tables at the front and leased the space to three housewives...
...they had two specials every day....plus a small regular menu.....
...you could have a $100 meal in Britain....and not get 15% of the quality that those
women gave us....for less that $10.

I ate at a restaurant in Mobile....they made their own Melba toast on site....
...I hardly touched my main course...'cause I ate four baskets of Melba toast....:eek:ink:

Travelling through Texas...every day I had eggs and retried beans for breakfast...
....I think that's what got me outta bed at a reasonable time...and the hash browns...:lovies:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Given the obesity rates, it's clear that Americans eat waaaay more fast food than the UK.
68%(U.S.) to 63%(U.K). Europe(50%) overweight-to-obese. Guess who's #1? Mexico. Considering how awful their food is its pretty surprising that the U.K. is so close to U.S. Ever been there? England and Scotland have borderline in-edible food on most menus. High-end cuisine in Glasgow is greasy fish or a sausage without the pigs toe-nails in it. Hats off to anybody that could eat enough that crap to get fat.