Ring Game - Shake "Rule"

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Sooo... I'm in a ring game last night and I shake after 3 games - before the next break for rack 4. I was told I couldn't because I didn't call it the rack before - thereby notifying a rack, or partial rack in advance.

We play you can shake after 3 games minimum. For those that have Ring experience, what's your understanding of shaking? Thanks for your input!

KK9 <-- believed got hosed

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems to me that it was already called when the rule was set to shake after three games. No need to remind everyone all the time. Just shake them.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Well, might as well tell us what the shake rule is, so we all learn something ;)

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Oh you funny guys Frank and RJ... I was simply wondering if anyone had heard of having to call a shake before the prior game had been concluded.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sooo... I'm in a ring game last night and I shake after 3 games - before the next break for rack 4. I was told I couldn't because I didn't call it the rack before - thereby notifying a rack, or partial rack in advance.

We play you can shake after 3 games minimum. For those that have Ring experience, what's your understanding of shaking? Thanks for your input!

KK9 <-- believed got hosed

Long time since I played in a ring game but my recollection is that unless specific circumstances are agreed to beforehand a player can ask for a shake any time.

Of course if you ask for one too often you will not be invited back... unless you're the sucker :)

Lou Figueroa
never give a sucker
an even shake

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You can't ask for a shake (new player order) immediately at the end of a game. We always played that you had to ask for a new order at the start of a game and the change would happen after that game ended. Otherwise the player who would be shooting last (and who just sold out) would want to shake all the time.

Electech

on the b train again....
Silver Member
Always played change player order every 5 games. Breaker stayed and everyone else pulled pills.

bicki

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
we used a simple way in our club at ring games:

if 5 player take part, we play 5 rounds with 1 Chip as payment and then shake the order and go to 2 chips for another 5 rounds and then to 4 chips. when someone drops out, we shake the order, double the chips again and then only play 4 rounds since 4 players

Dedeye1209

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had an issue wit this as well

In my 25+ years of playing, we ALWAYS shook the order after, it seemed like, 5 games. No matter the number of payers, the game, or the venue. Then recently, after an absence by me, I jumped in a local ring game with some guys who I knew, but had never played in a ring game with.

After the 4th game, I asked if we were going to switch it up after the next. They all looked at me like I was insane. They had never heard of such a thing.

Needless to say, I have not participated in that game since.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Damn, never heard of the "shake rule", never once did anyone ever ask to change the order. Damn if I'm not going to use this next time I'm on the wrong end of the order :)

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
You can't ask for a shake (new player order) immediately at the end of a game. We always played that you had to ask for a new order at the start of a game and the change would happen after that game ended. Otherwise the player who would be shooting last (and who just sold out) would want to shake all the time.

So if someone shakes the rack before and then wins that rack, what happens? No order change?

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That makes sense but my limited experience in ring games are it's similar to 8 ball where you walk across the street to a different pool hall and there are different rules.

Have you ever heard of a ring game where if the player before you leaves a kick shot you have the option of giving it back?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Have you ever heard of a ring game where if the player before you leaves a kick shot you have the option of giving it back?
Nope, but it sounds like a chance for two sly cousins to make some money.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, we had a "strange" rule in our games that if a player fouled, and the next player wanted to pass the shot, it had to pass all the way around the ring to get back to the fouler.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So if someone shakes the rack before and then wins that rack, what happens? No order change?
No, the requestor will break because he won and the others will draw peas. It doesn't make any difference who called for the order change.

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, the requestor will break because he won and the others will draw peas. It doesn't make any difference who called for the order change.

We called em "pills". Always thought that wasn't a good name because ur talking about pills in a crowded poolroom and people get the wrong idea

fat Albert

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shakes in ring games occur by stating befor hand we are going to shake after 3 games or 5 games etc but you shake at the end of whatever you agreed to consistently. The other option is before you break you declare I am shaking next game . The reason is very similar to why in one pocket when you realize a ball was not spotted you do not immediately spot but wait till each player has shot a round . It makes things less able to be munipulated and is fairer . Because if you were due up second you wouldn't call shake and maybe shoot last with new order . If you left the breaker out surely you would shake so you might get a better draw. That's why you say I am shaking next game prior to the break of the game before the shake. As Paul Harvey would say now you know the rest of the story.