Splitting The Difference Aiming System

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Mr. Spider
I guess I don't know as much about CTE as I thought I did.
I didn't realize that sometimes this pivot thing you're teaching One Pocket John about is a "sometimes it does it does and sometimes it doesn't lead right into the proven 15-30-45 angles".

Pete, this isn't CTE but has the same divisions on the OB. So you are correct. When it doesn't happen with THIS is when a pivot with the tip of the cue to 1/4 ball overcuts a shallow angle which is when you have to learn how to recognize too much cut to alter it slightly to end up between CCB and 1/4 ball.

That's what I get for tinkering around with something that isn't broken.
I just wanted to emphasize to some of the open minded around here that Houle was dead on the money with his diagnosis for this aiming thing and that old 'fraction thing' of Mosconi's has long been dead in the water.

Hal Houle definitely made life easier for the aiming process of pocketing balls. So much easier it's mind numbing. AND ACCURATE.

Think I will just stick to the old reliable CTE that I learned and watch the balls go in the holes. (messing around with other stuff can lead to trouble at the table...trouble I don't need).
Keep on truckin'
Pete L.
:thumbup:

I said it before and I'll say what Hal told me which was before Stan. CTE IS MORE ACCURATE THAN SHISKEBOB.

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You tube downloader

Does anybody know a good , trustworthy you tube downloader app. I'd like to save a few from you tube , but everyone I go to, says its got other stuff in it.
And I don't want to get a bunch of other crap stuck on the computer.
Thanks

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
This part of your post is unnecessary and not wanted in this particular thread of mine. I'd appreciate it if you don't go in this direction again. If the need overcomes you, don't post at all.

Is it possible to have ONE friggin' thread without s*it breaking out? I guess not.

Sorry for my knee jerk reaction to Low bringing up past flame wars. I felt like his "snake oil" comment and erroneous Mosconi comment were obvious troll attempts hat needed to be pointed out.

I don't like BS any more than you do, and Low sure spread it out there like bait. I won't bite again Dave. I like what you're doing here with this split the difference thing. I think it's a good way to help players realize the benefits of spinning balls in when needed also.

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, sorry for interrupting the thread. I'd like to save these.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Sorry for my knee jerk reaction to Low bringing up past flame wars. I felt like his "snake oil" comment and erroneous Mosconi comment were obvious troll attempts hat needed to be pointed out.

I don't like BS any more than you do, and Low sure spread it out there like bait. I won't bite again Dave.

Pete is a super good guy. Treat him and what he's chosen to use as an aiming system (CTE) and Stan who he feels is a great teacher that's elevated his game after over 7 decades on Earth with respect and I'm sure he'll reciprocate.

I like what you're doing here with this split the difference thing. I think it's a good way to help players realize the benefits of spinning balls in when needed also.

Split the Difference or Shiskebob was the exact same thing I was going to teach you when we were setting it up by PM until the sh*t hit the fan with Stan getting so p*ssed that he left.

I didn't even know about Split the Difference, this video, or guy doing it. But I do know Hal's version of Shiskebob as well as anyone and have worked with it for a long time.

When someone sent this video to me, I thought it would be a great idea to post it because it was coming from someone else other than Stan or Me and be more palatable and accepting by the normal negative crowd.

It does verify the simplicity and accuracy of the 3 Line Aiming System of Hal.

I once read where Mike Sigel said he likes to use "outside" to throw balls in. Using outside with Shiskebob definitely does it which combines aim and spin simultaneously.

And then you have CJ Wiley who likes using TOI, touch of "inside" on most of his shots. Just goes to show there are a lot of different ways to play this game and play it great.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Split the Difference or Shiskebob was the exact same thing I was going to teach you when we were setting it up by PM until the sh*t hit the fan with Stan getting so p*ssed that he left.

I didn't even know about Split the Difference, this video, or guy doing it. But I do know Hal's version of Shiskebob as well as anyone and have worked with it for a long time.

When someone sent this video to me, I thought it would be a great idea to post it because it was coming from someone else other than Stan or Me and be more palatable and accepting by the normal negative crowd.

It does verify the simplicity and accuracy of the 3 Line Aiming System of Hal.

I once read where Mike Sigel said he likes to use "outside" to throw balls in. Using outside with Shiskebob definitely does it which combines aim and spin simultaneously.

And then you have CJ Wiley who likes using TOI, touch of "inside" on most of his shots. Just goes to show there are a lot of different ways to play this game and play it great.

I remember. :(. I think a few people were upset that you quit the public Shishkabob lesson. I understand you probably continued one on one via PM of email, so that's cool. I just got an email from a great guy that said he's doing better using a combination of sweeps with Shishkabob. To each his own.

As far as PL being a good guy and deserving of my respect....Well, respect is a 2-way street, and with his continued baiting/trolling and belittling attitude toward me, I honestly don't see any good will there.

Anyway, proceed on back to topic.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
As far as PL being a good guy and deserving of my respect....Well, respect is a 2-way street, and with his continued baiting/trolling and belittling attitude toward me, I honestly don't see any good will there.

In the world of internet forums as well as live and in person, sometimes the chemistry just isn't there.

It's oil and water. There are a few on here I'll never get along with and they'll say the same about me. Probably lucky there is so much distance between us in miles with no easy access to each other.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
In the world of internet forums as well as live and in person, sometimes the chemistry just isn't there.

It's oil and water. There are a few on here I'll never get along with and they'll say the same about me. Probably lucky there is so much distance between us in miles with no easy access to each other.

You're right. But I think many times when people only know each other through text (posted in forums, tweets, text messages or emails), a lot of mistakes are made in personality judgements. I'm guilty of it I know. The slightest remark can be misinterpreted as a marker for a certain character trait, when in person the same remark would accompany a facial expression, tone of voice, body language, etc.... things that could truly reveal a person's character or frame of mind.

I'm guilty of posting things here strictly due to an emotional reaction brought about by simple text that in person would've more than likely been funny or no big deal. A person plunks out a few words and either purposely or innocently pushes another person's buttons, sparking a flame. Then somebody else fires back and the flames get higher. We've all probably done it, purposely and innocently a few a times. I know I've written some things that afterwards I wish I had not written. Instead of fanning the flames with a retaliating response, I should've ignored them. Nevertheless, I try my best to remain courteous, to avoid name calling and belittling others.

In an earlier post you mentioned that I should respect Stan. I respect Stan for his passion for the game. I may not agree with everything he says, but I share his passion and can relate to how he feels about the game. I've been playing 34 years and I don't think I've ever gone more than a week without playing pool, except for Air Force basic training back when I was 18, and I'm sure I suffered withdrawals!! I can only hope that when I'm Stan's or PL's age that I'm still capable of playing pool and loving the game as much as I do.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
That's a profound observation Mister Spider.
There are people on here who I think are phony as a 3 dollar bill and are really just born losers.
They're great at dishing out the heat, but go batcrazy when they get some back.
Such is the human nature of a poolroom...for real or on the web.
Life goes on.
Keep on truckin'
Lowenstein
:thumbup:

Mr. Lowenstein, I owe you an apology for the few times I probably overreacted to a few of your offhand comments, like the quote above about "phony" people. I can only assume, based on your posting history, you are referring to either me, Dan, Lou, or maybe even Dennis. I don't know. I don't think any of us are phony, though Dennis is still in the young learning stage. :). I might be wide-open open at times, talk too much, write too much, etc....but I'm never fake. If you're ever near Charleston WV, please look me up so I can earn your respect. Hell, if you happen to be passing through on a night the band is gigging, you could even sing a few songs.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
You're right. But I think many times when people only know each other through text (posted in forums, tweets, text messages or emails), a lot of mistakes are made in personality judgements. I'm guilty of it I know. The slightest remark can be misinterpreted as a marker for a certain character trait, when in person the same remark would accompany a facial expression, tone of voice, body language, etc.... things that could truly reveal a person's character or frame of mind.

There are some telltale signs and history which provides it. How many years has a person been argumentative, controversial, attacking others as the INITIATOR without provocation, is involved in flame wars with a number of different people on various forums or subjects, busting balls without knowing the total ins and outs of a system or facet of pool themselves, been banned for life in any other forums.

I'm guilty of posting things here strictly due to an emotional reaction brought about by simple text that in person would've more than likely been funny or no big deal. A person plunks out a few words and either purposely or innocently pushes another person's buttons, sparking a flame. Then somebody else fires back and the flames get higher. We've all probably done it, purposely and innocently a few a times. I know I've written some things that afterwards I wish I had not written. Instead of fanning the flames with a retaliating response, I should've ignored them. Nevertheless, I try my best to remain courteous, to avoid name calling and belittling others.

Which is probably why you won't ever be banned for breaking the rules. You have a way of phrasing things that don't directly break the rules but have double meanings that are provocative.

In an earlier post you mentioned that I should respect Stan. I respect Stan for his passion for the game. I may not agree with everything he says, but I share his passion and can relate to how he feels about the game.

How about for his knowledge of the game and playing skills? The fact that he was a working stiff his entire life as a school teacher but had world class skills as a player to finish as high as he has and been a certified instructor with the BCA and other recognized teaching organizations with certification?
How about the pro players he's worked with to develop them to greater heights?
And lets not forget his own son who has a junior record that stand above all others in the history or junior pool and has beaten the top name pros in various matchups?

You might not agree but what in God's name do you think you know more than he does especially on a subject he's poured his entire energy, time, pool intelligence, pool experience, and years of study and experimentation into?

I've been playing 34 years and I don't think I've ever gone more than a week without playing pool, except for Air Force basic training back when I was 18, and I'm sure I suffered withdrawals!! I can only hope that when I'm Stan's or PL's age that I'm still capable of playing pool and loving the game as much as I do.

That's longer than I've been playing pool but I'm up to 25 years and not as old as you are.

That having been said, I've been either experimenting or playing with every possible aiming system ever invented because they fascinate me. I've taken lessons multiple lessons in person with Joe Tucker on Contact Point Aiming; Ron Vitello on 90/90;
Hal Houle for years on the phone and in person for Shiskebob , others systems of his and CTE; and Stan Shuffett at his facility in Kentucky. Not to speak of every aiming system book ever published and available for sale.

Why would you or anybody else possibly think I'm not intelligent enough, experienced enough, or whatever the hell else enough to choose to use something that's INFERIOR or MISGUIDED to make my own game WORSE because you or others can't grasp the concept or get it down pat yourselves?

I mean WTF?

It pisses me off to get off focus of this original thread but I HAVE TO SAY IT!!

Lets get back to the original thread and if you have answers, PM! THIS IS INSANITY!

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
That's longer than I've been playing pool but I'm up to 25 years and not as old as you are.

That having been said, I've been either experimenting or playing with every possible aiming system ever invented because they fascinate me. I've taken lessons multiple lessons in person with Joe Tucker on Contact Point Aiming; Ron Vitello on 90/90;
Hal Houle for years on the phone and in person for Shiskebob , others systems of his and CTE; and Stan Shuffett at his facility in Kentucky. Not to speak of every aiming system book ever published and available for sale.

Why would you or anybody else possibly think I'm not intelligent enough, experienced enough, or whatever the hell else enough to choose to use something that's INFERIOR or MISGUIDED to make my own game WORSE because you or others can't grasp the concept or get it down pat yourselves?

I mean WTF?

It pisses me off to get off focus of this original thread but I HAVE TO SAY IT!!

Lets get back to the original thread and if you have answers, PM! THIS IS INSANITY!

I'll say this here instead of pm, then I'll refrain from off topic comments. I do not think one bit that I am anywhere close to Stan's skill level or knowledge of the game, except for the fractional stuff, he's old school there.:grin-square:

So yes, I respect him for all of that also.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I'll say this here instead of pm, then I'll refrain from off topic comments. I do not think one bit that I am anywhere close to Stan's skill level or knowledge of the game, except for the fractional stuff, he's old school there.:grin-square:

So yes, I respect him for all of that also.

No he isn't. Stan knows fractional aiming as strong as anyone. He might even know more. What you've added is the grid layout that could and should be helpful which Joe Tucker did with Contact Point aiming. I'm looking at the grid pictures right now.

They're intimidating, scary, confusing, and mind numbing to think about memorizing.

Plus it's incomplete after a certain cut angle. A player is left out to dry to figure things on their own.

Brian, STOP THIS on the thread. PM from here on out as you did and I answered.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
The more you watch this guy, the more you'll realize that he is using a couple of basic quarter aim points on the OB, then applying left or right english to thin or thicken the angle up as needed. It's a good way to develop a feel for spinning balls in.

As Spider suggests, you have to experiment with it to figure out the limitations for using a center to center alignment, then do the same for using a center to edge alignment. Then experiment with varying degrees of english, or keep the english consistent and experiment with varying bridge distances. Then once you get it working from close range, you'll need to experiment with varying distances between the balls and between the ob and the pocket.

It seems like a good tool to use on certain shots where you need a good tool, but too many variables at play to use it consistently on every shot from all over the table, unless you devote a few thousand hours of practice. Still, just experimenting around with it for a little while can help you develop a great understanding of how english affects cut angles.

Here's the same thing he's doing, minus the last-second swipe of english. I'm use BHE..... Fine-tuning aim with english