Dragon 2018 World 14.1

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I see from a press release that the Dragon Promotions 14.1 tournament will be at "The Spot" in Nanuet, NY. Is anyone familiar with that location?

Dates are Aug. 13-19.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I found the website of the room:

http://thespotbilliards.com/

They have 13 9-foot Diamond Pro-Am tables and one GC. It also looks like they might not compete with Steinway on food -- few rooms do -- but there are a lot of interesting restaurants in the area. They have a straight pool league on Sundays.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why? I usually go watch a day or two. Is it a good place to watch the matches? Most places don't have viewing room.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm very familiar with the place. It's been open I believe for a year now. Plenty of Diamond Tables and one GC5. the tables are kept clean because the owners are players, so they know how to maintain the equipment. Rhys Chen, a top NY player is one of the owners IIRC. I'll be honest, there is no viewing room. but considering pool tournaments, outside of the us open, do not have rooms filled with spectators, it should not be a problem.

I can understand the move to this room. Nanuet is a very good and clean town, there are plenty of restaurants and fast food places in the area and not to mention that hotels/motels are way cheaper there than NYC. and NYC isn't a far ride from Nanuet.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone else think making this kind of statement is highly inappropriate without explaining. Why would you say something that could potentially hurt someone's business. If you don't want to elaborate then don't say something like that.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It already has a lot of reviews on facebook and Google. Only 6 so far on Yelp. Most of them are 5 star reviews, so how bad can the place be? If someone maybe has a beef with the owner that's between them, but it seems like people like the place.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
OK so here's the short side of the story, or one of them.

Last year for the Worlds 14.1 i had gotten my buddy in to play the event, he happened to be placed in the group with Rhys Chen owner of The Spot.

So the morning of that Wednesday Rhys was scheduled to play my friend, apparently Rhys was running late and stuck in traffic. Rhys puts up a public post onto facebook for the world to see stating "Stuck in traffic, in route to the Worlds 14.1 Tournament to play the worst player in the tournament".

Who the **** does that, that is not something you broadcast out for the world to see, i have a screenshot of the post if you'd all like to see it.. A bunch of us called him on it and he denied the whole thing.

At that point we all decided to stop promoting him or his room for any events that he holds. and to never patron his business.

justabrake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Last year for the Worlds 14.1 i had gotten my buddy in to play the event, he happened to be placed in the group with Rhys Chen owner of The Spot.

So the morning of that Wednesday Rhys was scheduled to play my friend, apparently Rhys was running late and stuck in traffic. Rhys puts up a public post onto facebook for the world to see stating "Stuck in traffic, in route to the Worlds 14.1 Tournament to play the worst player in the tournament".

Who the **** does that, that is not something you broadcast out for the world to see, i have a screenshot of the post if you'd all like to see it.. A bunch of us called him on it and he denied the whole thing.

At that point we all decided to stop promoting him or his room for any events that he holds. and to never patron his business.

Does the doctor still own bayshore billiards I haven't been their in years

isn't TNT cues up their in Nanuet

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That does sound like a d!ck move but let me ask a dumb question. Is english his first language and is it possible he used the wrong words in his post? I know it's a stretch but thought it was at least worth asking.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Nanuet is a drive, but the parking could be worth it.

Steinway had a lot of distractions and considering there was no ref to watch the Earl vs Strickland match. It helps to sell the new location.

I hope parking is much better in Nanuet.

pooln8r

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nanuet is a drive, but the parking could be worth it.

Steinway had a lot of distractions and considering there was no ref to watch the Earl vs Strickland match. It helps to sell the new location.

I hope parking is much better in Nanuet.

That has to be one of the best things I've seen in a while. Lol, every match he's in is the Earl vs. Strickland match. Perfectly Stated.

Thanks for the laugh and good shooting to you!

Kevin

Last edited:

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
not a joke

It was neither Earl or Jayson's fault there was no ref at the table, I will never play in a major event again - without a referee - not interested in the drama nor do I find it even a little funny.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was neither Earl or Jayson's fault there was no ref at the table, I will never play in a major event again - without a referee - not interested in the drama nor do I find it even a little funny.

said it before and I'll say it again, refs should be part of the budget when it comes to pro tournaments. I've ref'd my leagues tournaments for $100 the whole Saturday and a free meal from the room. the league director always thanks me because it is hard to find anyone who would do that all day.