Would you play this break ball?

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The correct 14.1 play on this shot is a safety - unless you are not really serious about playing the game correctly. Every shot attempt or safety play in world class 14.1 MUST be in anticipation of a game closing run out by your opponent -if you miss the shot or play a bad safe.

Of course in real life where the rest of us are not playing someone who is a threat to run out at any time, shots like this can be a good proposition. If I can run through two or three racks at any time and I know my opponent really can't get through one rack and on to the next, I'm more apt to go for it.

It's not the wrong play necessarily, only when you are playing TH.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Maybe

And would you play it against Thorsten Hohmann? Jeanette Lee's got...
well...
guts! And skills. I didn't even think it went, but she actually overcut it!

View attachment 476005

View attachment 476006

It would depend on the score, also if it were in the beginning of the set and I had not hit many or not warmed up - I would probly play safe. Jeanette Lee is a great student of 14.1, I have seen her win several matches in a row against some of the best young talent there is today.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
well

The problem with that shot is you have to hit it so hard that a ball or balls with come out of the stack and hit the break ball.
Been there and done that.
And no I would play a safe.

Not trying to nit pick ya here measureman but if hit with low spin on the white (possibly losing whitey up table) the stroke speed can be relatively medium to soft. I think I would rather play it with a firm stroke and top spin on white however, never know for sure till I'm at the table.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not trying to nit pick ya here measureman but if hit with low spin on the white (possibly losing whitey up table) the stroke speed can be relatively medium to soft. I think I would rather play it with a firm stroke and top spin on white however, never know for sure till I'm at the table.

If I'm playing a weak player I might go for it.
If I'm playing you I'm playing safe.
I like my chances of out safeing you than give you a wide open table to run balls.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
No feer

If I'm playing a weak player I might go for it.
If I'm playing you I'm playing safe.
I like my chances of out safeing you than give you a wide open table to run balls.

I heard it's better to play the table than the opponent, I know that is easier said than done. I hope you would not want to lose to me and rather to another measureman. :) I learned from Sigel that early on in a set if he had a 50/50 shot he would choose the conservative shot. Towards the end of set or tournament his idea was that he would play the shot, as if not ready to pocket that ball then - he would never be. It was good advice - imagine that a World Champion offering solid advice. (They left my $1,000.00 dollar cue and stole the Russian chalk) that IS strong and gave me a good laugh. Very good promo for the magic russian chalk Sir.

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard it's better to play the table than the opponent, I know that is easier said than done. I hope you would not want to lose to me and rather to another measureman. :) I learned from Sigel that early on in a set if he had a 50/50 shot he would choose the conservative shot. Towards the end of set or tournament his idea was that he would play the shot, as if not ready to pocket that ball then - he would never be. It was good advice - imagine that a World Champion offering solid advice. (They left my $1,000.00 dollar cue and stole the Russian chalk) that IS strong and gave me a good laugh. Very good promo for the magic russian chalk Sir.

I started playing in 1961 in N.J. when straight pool was king.
There were tons of great and real good straight pool players around Jersey-N.Y. and Philly.
Most played a conservative type game.
I'm not going for a low percentage shot and you hit me with a 50 ball run was the thought.
If you want to run 50 then earn it by out safing me.
Then the straight pool game faded and 9 ball was the game.
As straight pool came back it was played by 9 ball players that would take more chances and played more wide open,at least thats the way I see it.
So learning to play that conservative style i had to get pretty good at safety play and still to this day believe I can play safe with anybody at straight pool.

And yes they really did still steal my last cube of Magic chalk,LOL.