Derby City 9 Ball Race to 7 or 9?

tduncan

Bet something...
Silver Member
Thought they made the change to a race to 9 a couple of years ago. In the 2015 Rules it states:

9-Ball Rules

Format: Race to 7; single elimination; one buy-back option.

Lag for First Break: Winner of the lag decides who breaks first.

Breaking subsequent games: Winner of previous game decides who breaks the next game.

Legal Break: A legal break requires you to contact the one ball first and either pocket a ball or drive at least 4 object balls to the cushions. Failure to do so is a foul, and counts as the first foul of the 3-foul rule.

Push Out: You may push out on the shot immediately after the break.

Scratch or Foul: Any scratch or foul results in cue ball in hand.

3-Foul Rule: If you commit 3 successive fouls in one game you lose the game. Your opponent must notify you that you are on 2 fouls immediately before your next inning.

Concession: You must not concede the 9-Ball. The penalty is loss of game PLUS one additional game. Unscrewing your playing cue while your opponent is at the table is loss of match.

Anyone know for sure?

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I believe it was only 9 once two years ago when it was a BCA points event. In all other years it has been a race to 7.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I believe it was only 9 once two years ago when it was a BCA points event. In all other years it has been a race to 7.

I'm an idiot. Jay corrected me, but I should have just looked at the 2015 DCC flyer I got at the poolroom last weekend. It states that the 9 ball will be race to 9. The dates for the Bigfoot aren't on the flyer.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Should be a race to 11, That way who ever plays better that day should win in a race to 11.

A race to 7or9 a player could luck out and get a few rolls in reach 7or9 and beat the man that just out played him, but going to 11 makes it harder for one to luck out!

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Should be a race to 11, That way who ever plays better that day should win in a race to 11.

A race to 7or9 a player could luck out and get a few rolls in reach 7or9 and beat the man that just out played him, but going to 11 makes it harder for one to luck out!

I think a race to longer than 9 would be difficult with a field that size. Also, it's not exactly like a bunch of schlubs are winning Derby 9 ball titles.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think a race to longer than 9 would be difficult with a field that size. Also, it's not exactly like a bunch of schlubs are winning Derby 9 ball titles.

You are rite somewhat, I went there in 2011 with a player that was a decent 9 ball player.

He draws Alex in the 4 th round of the 9 ball, Now alex had already won the banks and finished fairly high in the 1 pocket.

If Alex beats my friend he wins the all around, well heres what happen my friend got a few real good rolls after missing and lucked out with some safes and Alex just could not over come it in this short race.

It is part of 9 ball, the luck, but play to 11!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I preferred race to seven. The change to nine has had no effect at all, and the same guys are the ones who are winning. In a field of several hundred, a race to seven really ought to suffice.

Here are the last ten DCC 9-ball Champions

2014 Shane (race to 9 format)
2013 Alex (race to 9 format)
2012 Shane (race to r 7 format)
2011 Dennis (race to 7 format)
2010 Efren (race to 7 format)
2009 Shane (race to 7 format)
2008 Ralf (race to 7 format)
2007 Niels (race to 7 format)
2006 Ralf (race to 7 format)
2005 Efren (race to 7 format)

Yup, the last ten DCC 9-ball events are all either BCA Hall of Famers or future BCA Hall of Famers.

Good thing they switched to nine, as the race to seven delivered an unworthy champion year after year.

Maybe one of these years, we'll have to include the last name of the winner to identify him.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I preferred race to seven. The change to nine has had no effect at all, and the same guys are the ones who are winning. In a field of several hundred, a race to seven really ought to suffice.

Here are the last ten DCC 9-ball Champions

2014 Shane (race to 9 format)
2013 Alex (race to 9 format)
2012 Shane (race to r 7 format)
2011 Dennis (race to 7 format)
2010 Efren (race to 7 format)
2009 Shane (race to 7 format)
2008 Ralf (race to 7 format)
2007 Niels (race to 7 format)
2006 Ralf (race to 7 format)
2005 Efren (race to 7 format)

Yup, the last ten DCC 9-ball events are all either BCA Hall of Famers or future BCA Hall of Famers.

Good thing they switched to nine, as the race to seven delivered an unworthy champion year after year.

Maybe one of these years, we'll have to include the last name of the winner to identify him.

Well Done Brother!

Look at them names, you are rite it hasn't matter !