Johnny Archer

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This maybe isn't the right thread, but I feel that if the current USA team played to each of their potential, we could have won and this discussion would not be taking place. There were many chances that the USA had that they didn't capitalized on. Our team did not play up to their potential, and in some case not even close. So the USA lost to a European team that played better. Congratulations to Europe! Were they more prepared? I don't know, but squabbling about who should have represented the USA does nothing.

They were all character guys and that's what the team was attempting to achieve; character guys that can play well and represent USA proudly...they achieve 2 of the 3, they did not play well. We could hardly even win a lag, maybe that can be something the next team could practice?

Dave
Go USA

Last edited:

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If they play today, I'm not going argue races to 11 or 15! But I think anything more than 21, I have to give JA a slight edge!

Remember, SVB horsefuc%ed MD! JA did beat SVB!

Again, not knocking MD, I just don't consider MD in the same class of player!

Same thing with SVB, I personally think he's one of the best players on the planet today, but as far as the mosconi goes, he hasn't really played well(because it's not his style), personally, I would cut SVB! If MD can start playing in the bigger tourneys and get some out of country experience, he may have a shot! But until he gets his feet wet, MD will be an awesome LOCAL player!

Seriously, you knock him every chance you get. Don't get me wrong, you have that right but please don't keep saying you aren't when it's exactly what you're doing.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Maybe Dechaine is playing better than JA right now and for the last year, maybe, but he hasn't come close to achieving the success Johnny has in his career. A couple of your prior posts demean Johnny, and you certainly have demeaned Earl repeatedly.

For a guy that used to call himself the youngest of the old schoolers, you have a funny way of throwing the champion old schoolers under the bus. What's up with that?

Johnny is an idol of mine and I have not ever questioned his hall of fame credentials. I have simply offered facts that demonstrate that this has been a year in which he has not been elite.

Mike has no shot of achieving what Johnny achieved in his career, but that is not what the discussion has focused on.

Reactions: JAM

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Very simple

He is a 2009 derby all around winner plus close in 2010 lost to Efren!

Second, He is skylar's coach and they are great friends. He is a top 9 ball player. He just plays in very few tournaments. Derby and BCA US Open primarily.

KD

As to your Derby point, he was 1st and 2nd those years for Master of the Table by virtue of winning the Banks Division both years and finishing reasonably well in the other two divisions (10th and 19th in 9-Ball).

Being Skylar's coach and friend is not a 9-Ball qualification. And they could play only one doubles match together at the MC.

Yes, he is a "top 9 ball player." But you have argued so much for "merit-based" selections for the MC team, by which I think you really mean based on tournament results (as opposed to other less-objective merits), that your naming Brumback for a 9-Ball event seems a complete reversal of your many-times-stated position.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
The USA has 3 guys that can play consistent "Pro Level Pool" and that's it, SVB, ARCHER AND RODNEY.

Lots of young guys in the Hunt, maybe next year?
Dude, only 3??!!!!! Really? U are crazy.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
As to your Derby point, he was 1st and 2nd those years for Master of the Table by virtue of winning the Banks Division both years and finishing reasonably well in the other two divisions (10th and 19th in 9-Ball).

Being Skylar's coach and friend is not a 9-Ball qualification. And they could play only one doubles match together at the MC.

Yes, he is a "top 9 ball player." But you have argued so much for "merit-based" selections for the MC team, by which I think you really mean based on tournament results (as opposed to other less-objective merits), that your naming Brumback for a 9-Ball event seems a complete reversal of your many-times-stated position.
No reversal! I think he is talented and deserving of an opportunity to represent his country. He deserves a chance without running around the country. Let him play in a round robin, tournament or match to determine who earned it!

Hall made it on friendship this year and played stellar. I feel membership is a privilege you earn. Not given out of friendship!

As far as chemistry goes certain players play well together! Try outs could be two man teams vs. Individual try outs.

Bottom line is the coach can pick what ever form of qualifying he chooses. As long as, it is fair.

He wants them to play straight pool to decide who goes! So be it. He wants them to play 10 ball race to 50. So be it!

You get my point. The fact that brumback is old school should not exclude him from consideration. Cj Wiley is not too old for consideration or sigel. If efren can they can too!

Kd

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Johnny is an idol of mine and I have not ever questioned his hall of fame credentials. I have simply offered facts that demonstrate that this has been a year in which he has not been elite.

Mike has no shot of achieving what Johnny achieved in his career, but that is not what the discussion has focused on.
ESPN made Johnny Archer a sports star. Shane is great and a bunch of other young guns. No TV coverage today, makes them just another guy on the street.

Kd

Last edited:

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
To be clear, you are talking about Johnny Archer...the Player of the Decade, the ICOC Champion, the US Open Champion, & the 2-time WPA world champion?

Then again, maybe you are talking about Jimmy Archer, the Lost Springs, Wyoming APA league champion. :p

Spot on. MD is a great player but comparing him to Archers prime .....
Even Mike knows better than that

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
No reversal! I think he is talented and deserving of an opportunity to represent his country. He deserves a chance without running around the country. Let him play in a round robin, tournament or match to determine who earned it!

Hall made it on friendship this year and played stellar. I feel membership is a privilege you earn. Not given out of friendship!

As far as chemistry goes certain players play well together! Try outs could be two man teams vs. Individual try outs.

Bottom line is the coach can pick what ever form of qualifying he chooses. As long as, it is fair.

He wants them to play straight pool to decide who goes! So be it. He wants them to play 10 ball race to 50. So be it!

You get my point. The fact that brumback is old school should not exclude him from consideration. Cj Wiley is not too old for consideration or sigel. If efren can they can too!

Kd

I read your post #51 as a proposal to place Brumback on a MC team with Hall, Bergman, Woodward, and Strickland. I view that as counter to your advocacy of transparent, merit-based, objective criteria for selection.

I read your post #66 as just advocating giving Brumback an opportunity to qualify in future qualifying events of some sort. That notion is certainly different from the other one, and it is consistent with what you were saying before.

I like Brumback's game and would enjoy seeing him playing for the Cup, whether his selection occurred as the result of mysterious fiat from the coach, special MC qualifying events, or existing tournaments. But I doubt it will happen.

[P.S. I said nothing about old or old school.]

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
I read your post #51 as a proposal to place Brumback on a MC team with Hall, Bergman, Woodward, and Strickland. I view that as counter to your advocacy of transparent, merit-based, objective criteria for selection.

I read your post #66 as just advocating giving Brumback an opportunity to qualify in future qualifying events of some sort. That notion is certainly different from the other one, and it is consistent with what you were saying before.

I like Brumback's game and would enjoy seeing him playing for the Cup, whether his selection occurred as the result of mysterious fiat from the coach, special MC qualifying events, or existing tournaments. But I doubt it will happen.

[P.S. I said nothing about old or old school.]
I mentioned who I would like to see.

I never advocated for a non merit based system.

Big difference. I think we are on the same page. No, I am not two faced! Say one thing and do another.

Kd

Odysseus

Student of the game
Silver Member
I have to second what (((Satori))) said; Archer vs. MD would be a highly desirable match to see.

ScottyDzntKnow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Kd
Hall made it from his play this year and His showing at the US Open. I don't know what friendship your talking about but he doesn't even live close to Wilson or any other player on the team.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Hall made it from his play this year and His showing at the US Open. I don't know what friendship your talking about but he doesn't even live close to Wilson or any other player on the team.

look people, they never had to battle one another for the slots as they were awarded absent a merit based system. What is so hard to understand.

He is friends with bergman who is friends with mark wilson. It does not take a rocket scientist to connect the dots and deduce a connection. Why risk having them play one another, when you can forgo that, and just out right award it with no questions asked???

if the team is such a lock, what were they scared of by publishing the selection criteria so the players can compete accordingly??? If the 5 was so clear and far ahead of the rest, then having them play for the slots is a no brainer, unless they have something to fear???

KD

CSykes24

www.coreysykes.com
Silver Member
look people, they never had to battle one another for the slots as they were awarded absent a merit based system. What is so hard to understand.

He is friends with bergman who is friends with mark wilson. It does not take a rocket scientist to connect the dots and deduce a connection. Why risk having them play one another, when you can forgo that, and just out right award it with no questions asked???

if the team is such a lock, what were they scared of by publishing the selection criteria so the players can compete accordingly??? If the 5 was so clear and far ahead of the rest, then having them play for the slots is a no brainer, unless they have something to fear???

KD

Haha also a very funny post. What is it with Sunday's? I read the craziest stuff on here then.

ScottyDzntKnow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

KD

Justin knows that his US Open tournament meant alot for him making the team, but they pumped up there best friend stuff a little. I've been Jhall's friend and road partner for 18 years so I know a little about him and Wilson/bergman friendship. Jhall's US open performance sealed his spot.

It's George

Bet Something!!!
Silver Member
None of us have any say so in the matter but I'm sure that even an old has been like Mike S. would represent better than Shane, Cory or John did this year. He has too much pride (ego) to go down like Shane did.

crabbcatjohn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wrong

Very simple

He is a 2009 derby all around winner plus close in 2010 lost to Efren!

Second, He is skylar's coach and they are great friends. He is a top 9 ball player. He just plays in very few tournaments. Derby and BCA US Open primarily.

KD

He is not Skys coach and never has been. As far as my knowledge goes the only thing Skylar ever asked him was how do you hit the straight backs so good. Johns reply was how do you hit them so good? After it was brought up before , I asked him personally while practicing with him a few days before he won the Derby bank ring game . Being a local here and having known the young man for a number of years he would have no reason to steer me wrong. If i am wrong please elaborate....