Send Mike Wong to Derby City

randallt6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The kid is asking for a sponsorship or stakehorse. He plays good and he has the balls to come here to ask, knowing that you guys are going to attack him and put him down. I think his post has enough merit.

Yes it takes a lot of balls to shamelessly make a thread on the internet asking for handouts from people, what a large set of balls that takes. Getting a job and budgeting your money to pay for your hobby , now that's a cowardly thing to do.

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
He already came for a free roll to the US Open and got one. He deserved a 2 and out. Why would we flush cash on him. Chris Bartrum or 50 other players on this site could actually get staked for Derby.

Mike can't get staked because he is lacking in ability. He is a strong player, but he has no chance this year. I will make the same bet that he flops again in every discipline. Even banks, where everyone registers so they get the week pass included and either bo-show or have no business playing.

If Mike Wong wanted to get staked against Bartrum who would stake Wong for their hard earned cash? Raise your hand. I expect crickets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
Yep asking for money sure takes a lot of balls.

I swear nothing but idiots on this site lately.

Reminds me of the guy at the traffic lights around the corner from my local pool hall that jumps in front of you with his squeegee and cleans your windows. The reason I give him a couple bucks every time is because he provides a service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
He already came for a free roll to the US Open and got one. He deserved a 2 and out. Why would we flush cash on him. Chris Bartrum or 50 other players on this site could actually get staked for Derby.

Mike can't get staked because he is lacking in ability. He is a strong player, but he has no chance this year. I will make the same bet that he flops again in every discipline. Even banks, where everyone registers so they get the week pass included and either bo-show or have no business playing.

Yep, this.

Bartrum has been staked a few times on here and you will never hear me say a peep negatively about that because Chris plays good enough to beat anyone on a given day. From a skill point of view Chris is without a doubt a pro pool player. He is also a regular active poster on AZB who contributes a ton to this community. If there is a single player in the world who I feel justifies some support from AZB Chris Bartrum Is absolutely the top of the list.

Mike Wong is no Chris Bartrum. He does not play in the same league at all and not terribly active on the forum, unless he needs money then it is all smiles and thumbs up...

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
The kid is asking for a sponsorship or stakehorse. He plays good and he has the balls to come here to ask, knowing that you guys are going to attack him and put him down. I think his post has enough merit.

Dude, dont do this. Yeah, i know whats up....

Eric

Corey and Celtic, there are a few people in NYC who will put up cash for me to play money games. However, they are not interested in sending me to major tournaments. I hope that’s not hard to comprehend.

PhillyViper1 or Vincent Cimarelli I find you to be dishonest and just flat out lie about a lot of things. I find it bad taste that you facetiously congratulate me when I’ve lost a match by saying “Good Shooting” on multiple occasions. I don’t need to attack your character because that is not my thing, but others before have spoken about you including Danny Harriman. However, I refused to expend any more energy responding to your nonsense.

GaryB, thank you.

Satori, I can ask other family for help, but I do not wish to inconvenience them for extended periods of time.

To all critics, I am disappointed in the way that some of you have acted. I understand that pursing pool professionally is a very difficult endeavor. However, if something is difficult, does that mean you don’t try? Or give up before you give yourself a real chance? Should you settle for mediocrity because others have told you to? Or should you settle because many people have told you to? Many of the great feats in this world would have never been achieved if people gave up. Albert Einstein wasn’t able to speak until he was 4 years old and his teachers said he would “never amount to much.” Walt Disney was fired from a newspaper for “lacking imagination” and “having no original ideas.” Michael Jordan was cut from his high school basketball team, yet he became arguably the greatest basketball player ever. These people did not become great by agreeing with their critics.

I wanted to be a great player ever since I started playing pool over 12 years ago. Actually, I wanted to be a top player. But, because of the negative attitude of most people in the pool world, I kept this goal to myself, and did not share it with others. I was told many times that I would never become a good player. I used this negativity to fuel me and become one of the stronger players in NY. But you know what? My goal is still to become a top player, it is no longer a secret, and I am not going to be ashamed of it. Whether or not I receive sufficient sponsorship to attend the Derby City Classic, I am still going to work hard to improve myself and strive to breakthrough to the next level. I understand that it is extremely difficult and the rewards are sparse. However, this is my decision and not anyone else’s. I will be the only person to determine what I am capable and not capable of.

I want to quote Theodore Roosevelt: “The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best, knows in the end of the triumph of high achievement; and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither.”

If I fail, it’s okay. Because I tried my best, and that’s all I could do. To me it’s much better than thinking back and wondering whether or not I could have if only I had gave it my all. I still have a lot of passion for this game. I quit my job in August because I felt it was compromising my level of play. If I could afford to, I would not go on the internet and ask for help. However, the Derby is very expensive and I don’t have the funds to get there. I need the competition and I need to be around great players constantly. There are many players who get sponsored, why is there a fuss?

Michael Jordan was not cut from his HS basketball team. He tried out for the varsity team as an sophomore and did not make it because he was 5'11" and deemed too short. He played JV and did very well. The next year he did make varsity and his senior year he was selected to the all-american team after averaging a triple-double.

For a guy with a masters degree you are surprisingly willing to spout 'facts' without any research.

Cuemaster98

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man you guys are hard. What gives...if you don't like the fact that he asking for sponsorship...than don't sponsor the the guy. Why thrash his thread with BS about him asking for a handout. Remind me of guys jumping on threads with over price cue...LOL. the old days of AZ are back in seem.

Correct me if am wrong, but sponsorship is a hand out? I always thought it was a form of marketing. If Mike somehow manage to win one of the event at the Derby and talked about his sponsorship....would we still consider it a hand out?

CSykes24

www.coreysykes.com
Silver Member
Man you guys are hard. What gives...if you don't like the fact that he asking for sponsorship...than don't sponsor the the guy. Why thrash his thread with BS about him asking for a handout. Remind me of guys jumping on threads with over price cue...LOL. the old days of AZ are back in seem.

Correct me if am wrong, but sponsorship is a hand out? I always thought it was a form of marketing. If Mike somehow manage to win one of the event at the Derby and talked about his sponsorship....would we still consider it a hand out?

Pay $1000 for 1000 impressions in real life for a product or pay $3 per 1000 impressions for Google Ad Words...what type of marketing would you prefer?

No one is bashing the guy, but seriously, if Mike contributed at all to AZ in the likes that Bartrum does, I'd probably help the guy out, regardless of my personal bias. This is the same as spamming on craigslist or standing on the street corner asking for money.

He quit his job to play pool and is now asking for money...are you seriously defending the guy? C'mon man.

randallt6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Are you high?

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
If Mike somehow manage to win one of the event at the Derby and talked about his sponsorship....would we still consider it a hand out?

First of all, that's not happening - there is no chance. This is a thinly veiled plea for charity. He quit his job to play pool and we only seem to hear from him when he wants money.

To me, money means something. It can make a big difference to the less fortunate. If I were giving away my hard earned money today, it would be to help pay for the funerals of the San Bernadino victims. Now that I think of it, the last money I gave away a few months ago was to pay for the funeral of a young father killed in a head-on accident by a texting driver.

Now those are worthy causes.

Last edited:

Cuemaster98

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I was a potential sponsor...I could care less about his situation (he could be rich as hell for all I care)...all I'm interested in is what he has to offer for the sponsorship or if I'm staking him. If am giving him 500.00 to play with my custom tips to help with his trip the Derby....am going to evaluate if the values he's offering me justify the sponsorship. If I don't like it, than I won't sponsorship him.

As I understand, he was sponsored for the last US Open trip...so someone saw some values in what he bring to the table. I think we're all smart enough to make the judgement for ourselves...so why the bashing and all this negative talk about a hand out.

His request for help is sincere and I'm sure telling him that he needs to look for a work to support himself is good advice...but this is a path he has chosen for himself.

So he quit his job...what the heck does that got to do with the sponsorship or his request to be staked? If you don't like his offer and what he has to bring to the table..than don't sponsor the guy...move on. Did the guys cheat, lied or did something immoral with people that have sponsored him?

You guys make it sound like sponsors are stupid and for love of god...you just have to warned all the sponsors that this guy doesn't deserve it because he asking for a hand out. If the sponsors see values....they will sponsor him. I just don't understand the negativity toward his request....so if you think he asking for hand out....you have a choice not to give him any of your money. I'm sure he doesn't mind if you're giving your money to other worthy causes.

It's the holidays and I think a little empathy could go a long way.

As for his chances at winning one of the games at the Derby or cashing, the odd are low but it's not impossible especially for his level of play and drive to win. I'm would think that 9 balls would be his best chance for cashing.

Happy holidays guys.

First of all, that's not happening - there is no chance. This is a thinly veiled plea for charity. He quit his job to play pool and we only seem to hear from him when he wants money.

To me, money means something. It can make a big difference to the less fortunate. If I were giving away my hard earned money today, it would be to help pay for the funerals of the San Bernadino victims. Now that I think of it, the last money I gave away a few months ago was to pay for the funeral of a young father killed in a head-on accident by a texting driver.

Now those are worthy causes.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If he wants the ear of sponsors I think main forum of az should be a last resort. If your going to come on a pool forum vs. pm, text, call, visit, a sponsor, your looking for charity. This means either your game is not good enough to warrant sponsorship or your too lazy to put in the work getting a hold of sponsors and working out a deal.

In either case what is the point, if its for charity csi already "gave a guy a chance" and especially during the holidays.There are better avenues then some guy that quit his job for a pipe dream that pays a limited few in the world.

He seems of able body and mind and makes no case for sponsorship.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
If I was a potential sponsor...I could care less about his situation (he could be rich as hell for all I care)...all I'm interested in is what he has to offer for the sponsorship or if I'm staking him. If am giving him 500.00 to play with my custom tips to help with his trip the Derby....am going to evaluate if the values he's offering me justify the sponsorship. If I don't like it, than I won't sponsorship him.

As I understand, he was sponsored for the last US Open trip...so someone saw some values in what he bring to the table. I think we're all smart enough to make the judgement for ourselves...so why the bashing and all this negative talk about a hand out.

His request for help is sincere and I'm sure telling him that he needs to look for a work to support himself is good advice...but this is a path he has chosen for himself.

So he quit his job...what the heck does that got to do with the sponsorship or his request to be staked? If you don't like his offer and what he has to bring to the table..than don't sponsor the guy...move on. Did the guys cheat, lied or did something immoral with people that have sponsored him?

You guys make it sound like sponsors are stupid and for love of god...you just have to warned all the sponsors that this guy doesn't deserve it because he asking for a hand out. If the sponsors see values....they will sponsor him. I just don't understand the negativity toward his request....so if you think he asking for hand out....you have a choice not to give him any of your money. I'm sure he doesn't mind if you're giving your money to other worthy causes.

It's the holidays and I think a little empathy could go a long way.

As for his chances at winning one of the games at the Derby or cashing, the odd are low but it's not impossible especially for his level of play and drive to win. I'm would think that 9 balls would be his best chance for cashing.

Happy holidays guys.

He's been offered several games within a short drive of the city. That's how our forebears raised a stake, they hit the nearby ponds for fish and then took the cross-country trips.

They didn't go stand around the pool hall asking for handouts.

How often do you let a guy hold a hundred?