Congratulations to Joshua Filler for Winning the World 9-Ball Championship

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, of course, I was pulling for Shane Van Boening to win, but it just wasn't in the cards this year for the South Dakota Kid. He lost in the semifinals to the defending champion, Carlo Biado from Philippines.

Joshua looked pretty much worn out during his match with Alex Kazakis from Greece. The 21-year-old put on his jacket during the match because of the cold temperature. It's hot in Qatar, and the locals like it cool inside buildings, but for those not used to the hot weather, the cool buildngs are FREEZING. :embarrassed2:

I actually thought Kazakis was going to win, but Filler the Killer never gave up and fought back tooth and nail. He yelped like a dog getting smacked when he sunk the 8 and the 9 in for the win. :grin:

The finals was a nail-biter. Filler scored six consecutive racks to grab a 11-7 lead, but Biado came storming back when he scored three straight to cut the deficit to one rack.

Biado looked headed for a tie but scratched on the 22nd rack with only five balls remaining on the table. When the dust settled, Filler looked stunned, almost in disbelief, waiting for the reality to sink in that he just won his first major championship. Tough loss for Biado, but a great win for the kid.

Joshua Filler from Germany pockets $40,000 and his first major title. I'm sure we'll be reading abou thim in the years up ahead.

Attachments

• joshua-filler-1.jpg
    joshua-filler-1.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 2,600

diazr3

Registered
Some world class pool that was. I was watching the semifinals live this morning at 3am.

One thing I'd like to ask if anyone knows the answer to, does anyone know why they use format racking? I led to a pretty monotonous lay out when hit right. For those who don't know, the layout was:

sometimes the 3 and the 4 where switched but that was about it.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some world class pool that was. I was watching the semifinals live this morning at 3am.

One thing I'd like to ask if anyone knows the answer to, does anyone know why they use format racking? I led to a pretty monotonous lay out when hit right. For those who don't know, the layout was:

sometimes the 3 and the 4 where switched but that was about it.

I truly don't know the answer, but maybe it is to make sure each gets the same rack, so that there is no favoritism. This is just a guess.

weakfingers

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congratulations to Filler. The way Biado was playing throughout the tournament, I wasn't sure if he'd be able to take the Black Tiger down, but he did it. Exciting tournament this year.

Joshua Filler did win the China Open in 2017 vs. Chang Jung Lin in the finals, so I wouldn't say this is his first major title.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congratulations to Filler. The way Biado was playing throughout the tournament, I wasn't sure if he'd be able to take the Black Tiger down, but he did it. Exciting tournament this year.

Joshua Filler did win the China Open in 2017 vs. Chang Jung Lin in the finals, so I wouldn't say this is his first major title.

China Open is a country title, right? Not sure.

This is a world title, though. Might be a wee bit different. I'm not positive, however. :smile:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's the official winning photo, fresh from Qatar. Not sure who took it.

Attachments

• 48427895_1168768116622074_884044431479537664_n.jpg
    48427895_1168768116622074_884044431479537664_n.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,842

manopr350

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed that Joshua is no longer playing with a Revo shaft. Anyone knows what he is playing with now?

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congratulations to this young and amazing talent. Sooner or later he would win it anyway so he decided not to put off till tomorrow what he can do today. Those who watched yesterday's interview with SVB after his winning over Chang should remember Shane mentioning he was going to go and try the break he watched Joshua had used. So I guess he might believe the odds to meet him in the final were big and he is a dangerous opponent. This young man deserves the title and he is such a natural talent...fun to watch and a good motivation for those young kids who also have a dream to become a world champion one day.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed that Joshua is no longer playing with a Revo shaft. Anyone knows what he is playing with now?
He is still on the Predator board so I believe he is playing with the shaft he used to play before Revo. His game definitely does not suffer without Revo.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the semis vs Kazakis they both played a few bad shots in the last few games. Then some poor safes. One shot in rack 20 Kazakis had gotten funny on the 3, but had easy cross table bank. Played safe and sold out. From there he was punished.

Alternating break, particularly with magic rack, makes any mistake tougher to deal with. Very hard to make comebacks in this format.

Last edited:

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the semis vs Kazakis they both played a few bad shots in the last few games. Then some poor safes. One shot in rack 20 Kazakis had gotten funny on the 3, but had easy cross table bank. Played safe and sold out. From there he was punished.

Alternating break, particularly with magic rack, makes any mistake tougher to deal with. Very hard to make comebacks in this format.

Not so many people will remember that...that's all part of the game. I guess much more people will remember him as one of the youngest and emotional champion).

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats to Filler the Kid is a monster.

He played 4 huge action matches at the last Derby in the action room.:eek:

I bet he will be in action again at Deby next month. :)

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

Everybody knows the Euros dont gamble, how can this be true?:rolleyes:
Jason

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:shrug:
Everybody knows the Euros dont gamble, how can this be true?:rolleyes:
Jason
Yep the Philippine players lined up in the Action Room to play Josh at the last Derby.

And i have a feeling after him beating Biado in the finals in Qatar the Pinoy's will be gunning for him again next month in the Action Room :shrug:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
:shrug:
Yep the Philippine players lined up in the Action Room to play Josh at the last Derby.

And i have a feeling after him beating Biado in the finals in Qatar the Pinoy's will be gunning for him again next month in the Action Room :shrug:

Let's see him get in the box with Dennis or Shane. Josh may be the "world champion," but Dennis and Shane are the World Champions when it comes to money games!

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's see him get in the box with Dennis or Shane. Josh may be the "world champion," but Dennis and Shane are the World Champions when it comes to money games!
Not sure he wants to play SVB or Dennis just yet

He will prolly just play some more suckers like last time when he played Jeff Deluna, Ronnie Alcano and Roberto Gomez :rotflmao1:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Got some action with Chua in the USIO.
Won the first set and lost the last one.
He can play.
He's still a kid.
He's gonna be a force for a long time.