Improvement Is Amazing.

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guys, it's been some time now hasn't it? Well not really. Playing on a table every day for two to five hours has been a huge asset to me improving. So has gambling with the guys who could take my money playing blindfolded and left-handed (note: they're all right handers lol).

The guys in Wisconsin are no slouches when it comes to pool and I have notably improved. I've learned new tricks to approaching the table and lining up the shot (changing from the previous trick I learned from somebody else) and now I can shoot 75% of my shots with my eyes closed because I line up my shots while approaching the table very well.

My stroke is also straight as an arrow and the trick I was shown when approaching the table helps.

The thing I really like though, is that my position play is now amazing. Not exactly landing on dime perfect yet but I play pretty spectacular area position and I usually go through racks by placing my school ID on the table and trying to land within 3 cm of it for position. My pattern choices have improved dramatically and I can now run the table probably 1 out of 7 or 8 racks. When I left Chicago I was probably a high C or low B player and now the best in the state tell me I'm a strong B player and possibly a lower end A player.

I've still got improving to do but I am absolutely ecstatic to have seen the improvements I've made. There's probably still tons of stuff that I don't know and that further drives me. I won't be happy until I can compete with the best in the state! Also, Chicago players had better watch their asses when I come back, I'm gunning for all of you!

Atlatlien

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
6SrzWoR.gif

I'm impressed that you've managed to stay so humble about it!

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guys, it's been some time now hasn't it? Well not really. Playing on a table every day for two to five hours has been a huge asset to me improving. So has gambling with the guys who could take my money playing blindfolded and left-handed (note: they're all right handers lol).

The guys in Wisconsin are no slouches when it comes to pool and I have notably improved. I've learned new tricks to approaching the table and lining up the shot (changing from the previous trick I learned from somebody else) and now I can shoot 75% of my shots with my eyes closed because I line up my shots while approaching the table very well.

My stroke is also straight as an arrow and the trick I was shown when approaching the table helps.

The thing I really like though, is that my position play is now amazing. Not exactly landing on dime perfect yet but I play pretty spectacular area position and I usually go through racks by placing my school ID on the table and trying to land within 3 cm of it for position. My pattern choices have improved dramatically and I can now run the table probably 1 out of 7 or 8 racks. When I left Chicago I was probably a high C or low B player and now the best in the state tell me I'm a strong B player and possibly a lower end A player.

I've still got improving to do but I am absolutely ecstatic to have seen the improvements I've made. There's probably still tons of stuff that I don't know and that further drives me. I won't be happy until I can compete with the best in the state! Also, Chicago players had better watch their asses when I come back, I'm gunning for all of you!

Feels great, don't it?! Like you finally feel like you know what you're doing even if you don't do it every time. Your situation sounds almost like mine right now, so I'm right there with ya on that high right now. Whatever you did to get yourself improving...don't stop now!

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I need the back story on this one... so far... seems epic...

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
wisconsin

Yes, I played in Wisconsin for thirty years and there is a boatload of strong players...and some terrific instructors.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
That's brutal.

Zphix,

Congratulations on your recent improvements. :thumbup:

I'm guessing that the new things you are learning are called "techniques" not "tricks" but enjoy yourself, it is apparent that you've earned some rooster crowing. Just beware that you could be knocking your own action.

JoeyA

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Zphix said:

...... tricks ..........(.... trick ......) .........

........ trick .......

I see your true problem. There are no tricks to shooting pool well. There are methods, and personal preferences that lead to, as JoeyA said, techinques. The tricks you think help you actually hurt you. It pigeonholes you into a false belief of routes and shots to choose.

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's see if I can reply to everybody in one fell swoop.

My classes and studies are going great. I work every morning 4-9 am, have classes til 2 on Monday & Wednesdays, and classes til 3:30 on Tuesday and Thursdays. My homework load is pretty pitiful because the professors act like everyone in class is 11 years old so at the moment I feel like I'm paying for credits instead of paying to learn anything. So, homework generally takes me about an hour a day and that leaves me lots of down time to play pool.

As far as the tricks - that's a grammar error on my part. I used a word that doesn't suffice for my intended meaning; technique is a better term. Basically, I look at the contact point on the OB, take steps back behind the CB hold my cue up vertically in front of me to look down the shaft to line up the CB and OB on the double image cue. It's much less complicated and confounded than it seems and it's really helped me get my body aligned along the shot line.

I'm sure the post about my humility was sarcasm lol and I applaud your sense of humor =P I'm simply very happy to finally be seeing real progress... well actually feeling the progress. I have a very long way to go still and I mean a veerrryyyy long way to go still and I will never stop learning or improving.

Another way of putting it is, thinking about myself from a few months ago to now I see the progress. But, when I step to the table I'm still trying to improve and I'm never telling myself "I'm so much better than I was" it's always "I still have to get better, I still have to practice." and when I catch myself dawdling I think about the guys who are mentoring me that I want to be better than someday. Hell, many of you guys on AZB are guys who I know are better than me and I think about that to when I catch myself off my game. I practice with the intention to get better, not to showcase the skills that I think I have.

:thumbup:

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
My homework load is pretty pitiful because the professors act like everyone in class is 11 years old so at the moment I feel like I'm paying for credits instead of paying to learn anything. So, homework generally takes me about an hour a day and that leaves me lots of down time to play pool.

:thumbup:

I had a couple of semesters like that too.

I'll pass along a "trick" my dad taught me about college: Buy and read next semester's text books. You don't have to study them like you will during the class, but just becoming familiar with the information puts you miles ahead. It really helps to know where something is going before it happens. Kind of like knowing how the CB is going to go three rails for position on the next ball.

More than anything playing correctly and so often creates muscle memory. It truly becomes automatic. You need to push through the inevitable plateau that will come so you can get stronger. Play with the strongest opponents you can find. Play for something so there is consequences for winning and losing.

ddadams

Absolutely love this cue.
Silver Member
Can you divulge the secret to approaching the cueball straight?

I struggle with this on some angles and would be very appreciative to hear a new idea.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately....maybe...lol, i skipped class to stay in the college pool room more than enough to take a toll on my grades. One of my instructors even had the gumption to call the pool room and ask if I was there. :) oops.

Hence the origin of the " he's not here " excuse that plagues many of us to this day, lol.

More than anything else , I loved and still love those breakthru moments. Feels really good to see a difference in your game. Enjoy it and strike the iron while its hot brotherman, when you get older you'll have too much to worry about to enjoy this part of the journey.

Oh and btw...bring yo ass back to Chicago slick. We're always lookin for the next victim
;)