Suggestions for break cue tip

restorick2378

Registered
A few years ago I picked up a McDermott Stinger jump/break cue. I was just getting back into the game after a 30 year hiatus, and wanted something with a bigger hit that would save my player.

As I began to get my stroke back, I found it tougher to control the cue ball with the phenolic tip. I'm in the process of getting a dedicated jump cue and would like to repurpose the Stinger into a dedicated break, with a leather tip so I can have better control.

There are probably 30 tips out there and quite frankly, I'm not sure how to judge a decent break tip. After reading a number of threads, here's my criteria:

• League play - mostly 8 ball on Valley/Diamond bar boxes
  • More interested in making a wing ball and controlling cue ball, as opposed to big hit
  • Don't mind maintaining/replacing the tip often, if need be (would rather pay for quality)

Appreciate any and all feedback.

Thanks,
Rick

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently switched to Cyborg Break tips. Ordered it from Seyberts. I am loving it. Great hit and excellent control.

buckets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
White Diamond!

Snaps like phenolic or G10, but can't damage the CB—holds chalk a little better too, which should help your control.

Jumps well, but doesn't have quite as much pop as pheonlic/G10 in my experience. Nothing that can't be overcome with good technique, however.

restorick2378

Registered
White Diamond!

Snaps like phenolic or G10, but can't damage the CB—holds chalk a little better too, which should help your control.

Jumps well, but doesn't have quite as much pop as pheonlic/G10 in my experience. Nothing that can't be overcome with good technique, however.

Thanks for the quick response! I've heard of White Diamond and it's one I've been considering. And your technique comment is spot on - I've been working a lot on my break on my home table and while it's getting better, I still have work to do.

Thanks again,
Rick

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I was a long time user of white diamond until the Gator came along. My only issue with the WD is that I lost control with breaking hard. My issues with Zento, Taom, etc is them cracking and lack of feel.

Gators are made by cuemaker Andy Gilbert and sold only by him or me. They've been on the market for 2 1/2 years now. I sell to select makers and repair guys...but mostly direct to customers. They are layered treated pigskin and similar to Samsara, but with more feel and control. Super hard leather tip...legal in all formats...and won't damage the cue ball. I've tried virtually all the tips out there and these get my vote and my effort to sell them!

I've had my Gator on my jump/break for a year and half and it is as awesome now as the day it was put on!!!

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=388944

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Samsara break tip. Make sure that you tell your installer to take some down. Otherwise they are prone to popping off if you miscue and the tip is too long.

HoldemRw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Samsara or gator tip would be my 2 suggestions. I love White diamond for jumping

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

buckets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hard-pressed milk duds also work well for breaking. I have one on my bar banger (a crappy 3-piece j/b that I had fitted with good ferrule), and it works very well for shooting and breaking. Jumps alright too tbh.

MalibuMike

Banned
Toam Tips new II tips!

I had the old Taom or toam tip and yes I had trouble shaping and scruffing and chipping, but then I tried the new Taom 2 tips, they are shaped much better, hold chalk better and has yet to chip or come off. I also really like their Chalk, its a little tough getting in on but it provides a nice thin coat of chalk so the regular tip you shoot with advantages really come out! I use a Dennis Searing Precision Tip and it plays great with taom chalk, also just tried G2's Chalk and it really plays great, induces more spin then any chalk I have ever used, but it grabs the cue ball so much I have had some odd miscues. but I'm noticing as I get the top layer off, it goes on and plays much better...