Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page cleveland players of the past......
Page 2 of 4 12 34

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
NickCasey
AzB Bronze Member
NickCasey has a reputation beyond reputeNickCasey has a reputation beyond reputeNickCasey has a reputation beyond reputeNickCasey has a reputation beyond reputeNickCasey has a reputation beyond reputeNickCasey has a reputation beyond reputeNickCasey has a reputation beyond reputeNickCasey has a reputation beyond reputeNickCasey has a reputation beyond reputeNickCasey has a reputation beyond reputeNickCasey has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-11-2018, 08:09 PM

YES those do ring a bell for sure lol hippodrome downtown danny veghs place and for those that remember buckeye billiards down the street from roman chariot awesome days

Yes
Old
  (#17)
franko
AzB Silver Member
franko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - 01-11-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
Going way back to the days of Buddy Wallace, Chuck Morgan, Herbie Cue and Marshall Kasoff. Do any of these names ring a bell?
Yes all but Kasolf, Geesh you know everybody.
Herbie Cue had a Poolroom for a short while. It was up a flight of steps in downtown Bedford. All 8 ft. Centennial's .

Never
Old
  (#18)
franko
AzB Silver Member
franko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond repute

Never - 01-11-2018, 08:53 PM

I never went to a place called the Hilltop but the stories I hear about that place are great. If anyone has any I loved to hear some. Players like Joe Salazar even came up.

Two more Clevenders, Mike Ruffo and a Rich Letskie.

Old
  (#19)
Frankenstroke
2 Gus Szamboti cues

Frankenstroke has a reputation beyond reputeFrankenstroke has a reputation beyond reputeFrankenstroke has a reputation beyond reputeFrankenstroke has a reputation beyond reputeFrankenstroke has a reputation beyond reputeFrankenstroke has a reputation beyond reputeFrankenstroke has a reputation beyond reputeFrankenstroke has a reputation beyond reputeFrankenstroke has a reputation beyond reputeFrankenstroke has a reputation beyond reputeFrankenstroke has a reputation beyond repute

01-12-2018, 11:36 AM

The Velvet Rail.
Tommy Parker. Mark Mario.

Danny Vegh's.
Black 1 pocket players.
Ronnie "White Hat".
"King".

"Game not in paddle. Game in you."
Balls of Fury (2007)

Old
  (#20)
dietz
AzB Bronze Member
dietz is on a distinguished road

01-12-2018, 01:25 PM

Butch Bauer (JT Billiards) & (part owner in the Velvet Rail) was just telling me about some great Hilltop stories. Guess Big Brad had asked Bob Schneider to play once and didn't have the money that Bob was willing to play for so they almost ended up in a fist fight. More to the story but to much to go into.

Another
Old
  (#21)
franko
AzB Silver Member

Another - 01-12-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietz View Post
Butch Bauer (JT Billiards) & (part owner in the Velvet Rail) was just telling me about some great Hilltop stories. Guess Big Brad had asked Bob Schneider to play once and didn't have the money that Bob was willing to play for so they almost ended up in a fist fight. More to the story but to much to go into.
Another story from Butch on the Hilltop. JR's father the Chief would pull JR out of school early on Fridays and take him to the Hilltop where they stayed Friday , Sat. and Sunday .
The Chief caught JR playing someone for no cash and cracked him in the head with a cue stick while yelling at him " I told you to always play for cash !" JR was 15 at the time.

Old
  (#22)
JustPlay
AzB Silver Member
JustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2837

01-12-2018, 04:56 PM

Buckeye Tony and Buckeye Frank. Frank had a period of time, he was a beast of a player. Whitey Stone, a road player himself.

Old
  (#23)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

01-12-2018, 05:06 PM

Anyone remember Larry Ridgeway from Akron. He played a lot of pool around Cleveland in the 60's and 70's. He was a good player/hustler too. I think he owned a poolroom in Akron for several years as well.

I'm sure Canton Don Willis made appearances around the Cleveland pool halls from time to time as well. One more good player who hustled all over Ohio was Johnny "Dollar" Overton, forgot his real last name. His grandson played several years on the PGA tour.

One more poolplayer/hustler from that area was Bill Stigall from Mansfield, before he moved South to Tampa in the late 70's.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Old
  (#24)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

01-12-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlay View Post
Buckeye Tony and Buckeye Frank. Frank had a period of time, he was a beast of a player. Whitey Stone, a road player himself.
Is that the same Whitey who lived around Dayton in the 60's (a straight shooting kid who had a lot of gamble). I think his name was Whitey Stone, although I could be wrong about the last name.

Old
  (#25)
bstroud
AzB Silver Member
bstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond repute

01-12-2018, 06:07 PM

Played both Steve Cook and Raymond in Cleveland.

Good action.

Bill S.

Saw
Old
  (#26)
franko
AzB Silver Member

Saw - 01-12-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Is that the same Whitey who lived around Dayton in the 60's (a straight shooting kid who had a lot of gamble). I think his name was Whitey Stone, although I could be wrong about the last name.
Jay I read his name in your book about him from Dayton. I don't know if it was the same player but this Whitey Stone was also called the Gas Man and I forget what his actual real name was. The time period he played here at Joe Tuma's room was mid to late 60's.

Old
  (#27)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people

01-13-2018, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franko View Post
Jay I read his name in your book about him from Dayton. I don't know if it was the same player but this Whitey Stone was also called the Gas Man and I forget what his actual real name was. The time period he played here at Joe Tuma's room was mid to late 60's.
Different guy. I think your Whitey moved further west later on. He was still playing actively years later.

Old
  (#28)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people

01-13-2018, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstroud View Post
Played both Steve Cook and Raymond in Cleveland.

Good action.

Bill S.
Steve Cook was from Lima, Ohio, close to Dayton. He followed Stigall south to Tampa in the 80's.

Old
  (#29)
bstroud
AzB Silver Member
bstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond repute

01-13-2018, 08:23 AM

Jay,

Steve was from Lima but we played in Cleveland.
I broke him playing one pocket.

Glenn Knowles was another good player from OH.

Bill S.

Old
  (#30)
JustPlay
AzB Silver Member
JustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2837

01-13-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
He was a utility worker and traveled to California, a lot as a road player every year. Not sure where he was originally from.

Page 2 of 4 12 34

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: