Aiming Metrics

Status
Not open for further replies.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
This is a good thread, despite the creeping in notion that that CTE pro1 is the only thing a player needs.

A player needs to own a specific set of "aiming metrics" as PJ says, PLUS a solid knowledge of cue ball control and shot selection/position play, and the skills to put this knowledge to use.

Aiming probably comprises about a third of what is needed to be a good player. Some would say more, some less. And the aiming metrics used could originate from a variety of different systems, methods, or ideas, each requiring a certain level of experience before consistency is reached when it comes to pocketing balls.

Still, not until the player develops a strong mental game and the skills needed for position play does he or she eventually become a well-rounded player.

Yeah for a beginner that’s probably true a good third of the game. For the mastered players, ss, and pros this becomes less and less a percentage.

I seriously doubt any of the pros “aim” better than others, there is just an excellence of execution and decision gap....imop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yeah for a beginner that’s probably true a good third of the game. For the mastered players, ss, and pros this becomes less and less a percentage.

I seriously doubt any of the pros “aim” better than others, there is just an excellence of execution and decision gap....imop.

I agree, somewhat. I'm specifically talking about what it takes to become a well-rounded player capable of competing with A players or even pro players. Of course once a player reaches a certain skill level there is very little conscious effort applied to aiming. But this doesn't mean the aiming process no longer comprises a good percentage of great player's game. It simply means it is so ingrained with other well-developed skills/processes that it resides primarily in the subconscious. At this level I think we are playing a game that is 85 to 95% mental recall. We consciously feed our brain the necessary visual data involving table layout, shot selection, etc...., and the brain automatically processes options based on our stored experiences, knowledge, and skill set. For most shots we are no longer consciously thinking about how to aim or how to play position. We are simply evaluating known options supplied from deep within our brain, then we choose the most reliable option that we believe fits the shot at hand.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a place for opinions. I think you insulted some people and probably didn't even realize it. You disagree. How about we just leave it at that? It isn't that big of a deal to keep arguing about it.

I dont think i insulted anyone, except you apparently. You really need to stop living in the past and get over yourself.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I agree, somewhat. I'm specifically talking about what it takes to become a well-rounded player capable of competing with A players or even pro players. Of course once a player reaches a certain skill level there is very little conscious effort applied to aiming. But this doesn't mean the aiming process no longer comprises a good percentage of great player's game. It simply means it is so ingrained with other well-developed skills/processes that it resides primarily in the subconscious. At this level I think we are playing a game that is 85 to 95% mental recall. We consciously feed our brain the necessary visual data involving table layout, shot selection, etc...., and the brain automatically processes options based on our stored experiences, knowledge, and skill set. For most shots we are no longer consciously thinking about how to aim or how to play position. We are simply evaluating known options supplied from deep within our brain, then we choose the most reliable option that we believe fits the shot at hand.

right and those options we take are generally what make or break the best/better players that along with mental fortitude and focus imop these are the higher cost metric the better you get....because every good/great player and their one armed wheelchair bound grandma can make and run balls.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I do not disagree with you often but i do here. I think more proficient aiming makes a big difference for a lot of players. Often winning or losing a tournament match or shorter gambling match comes down to 2 or 3 shots, the person that makes them wins. I know when i learned more about aiming i started finishing higher in tournaments.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I kinda wish you both would either drop it or do your follow up with direct messages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A thought or two about aiming "metrics" and how I think they're universally used in pool with or without a conscious method or system. (I think methods and systems are mostly choices of which metric(s) to use.)

One very important metric I didn't mention in the pic below is the visual perception of the amount of CB/OB overlap (without reference to fractions, etc.). This may be the most common metric, especially for "pure feel" aimers - in fact, I suspect it's an unconscious metric in all aiming.

I'm not advocating for or against any particular metric(s), methods or systems, just exploring the nature of aiming generally.

pj
chgo

View attachment 67902

Hello, you may remember me as a lurker from such posts as, sqwirt is the lochness monster! and pleez mastuh vorpul sir, spare greyghost duh lash, he still young and foolish! and the center be up in dat center manggg.....and the ever popular GONNA SEND DAT ORCOLLO HOME BROKE, WHERE HE AT???!!!!

Could you please unwarp your demo pic please sir, dat cueball not concentric'trik mang and yo tip needs to be'in juz a might bit scooched mo to the leff a schooch i believes.

Juz in case you worried bout spidey mistuh johnson, dat won't be necessary suh', I knows where he at. You aintz got to concern yo'self wit him, dem whipp'nzzz he be reciev'n be tak'n duh sass out him. He'll come around, he juz a bit uppity miss'tuh Johnson suh.

An' please don't fo'get, not dat you don't knows, juz say'n to remind you, dat center cueball be relative to duh shotline an miscue limits of 3'oclock an' 9'oclock of said shotline in dat static vacuum environment of dat 2 dimensional visual of yo eyes mang.

Take care now, i gots to tunes up my fiddle fo dis eve'nun'n.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Hello, you may remember me as a lurker from such posts as, sqwirt is the lochness monster! and pleez mastuh vorpul sir, spare greyghost duh lash, he still young and foolish! and the center be up in dat center manggg.....and the ever popular GONNA SEND DAT ORCOLLO HOME BROKE, WHERE HE AT???!!!!

Could you please unwarp your demo pic please sir, dat cueball not concentric'trik mang and yo tip needs to be'in juz a might bit scooched mo to the leff a schooch i believes.

Juz in case you worried bout spidey mistuh johnson, dat won't be necessary suh', I knows where he at. You aintz got to concern yo'self wit him, dem whipp'nzzz he be reciev'n be tak'n duh sass out him. He'll come around, he juz a bit uppity miss'tuh Johnson suh.

An' please don't fo'get, not dat you don't knows, juz say'n to remind you, dat center cueball be relative to duh shotline an miscue limits of 3'oclock an' 9'oclock of said shotline in dat static vacuum environment of dat 2 dimensional visual of yo eyes mang.

Take care now, i gots to tunes up my fiddle fo dis eve'nun'n.
Good luck with your English-As-A-Third-Language classes. If you ever graduate (or get actually funny), try me again.

pj
chgo

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good luck with your English-As-A-Third-Language classes. If you ever graduate (or get actually funny), try me again.

pj
chgo

No thank you, this follow up reply retort, is just so greyghost can be entertained by one more post.

He's so dreamy.....:lovies::smiling-heart::joyful::love2::love::hug:

No, he is not homosexual and neither am i as far as i know (i mean me as far as i know, greyghost, he have a girlfriend:frown:) i consider him a brother and he knows what the hell he's talking about when it comes to everything, even stuff he dont know about.

Ok mister johson, heres a watermelon and a bottle'uh wine for yuh on dat one way ticket boat ride to the ignore dungeon. Dont matter to me, i aint even from around here, im from the south side of chicago and juz here on vacation.

......KERPLUNK! weeeeee!

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member

pj
chgo

And I thought I was bad..kinda felt sorry for anyone reading my post , heck I couldn't even undestand them.

I ain't got chit on this fellow.:smile:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's not how the Aiming Forum works.... :p

LOL you got that right, although the main agitator is on another sabbatical, so I don't see much potential for endless angry posts, at least until/if he returns. Most everybody else on both sides of the issue is pretty reasonable.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I do not disagree with you often but i do here. I think more proficient aiming makes a big difference for a lot of players. Often winning or losing a tournament match or shorter gambling match comes down to 2 or 3 shots, the person that makes them wins. I know when i learned more about aiming i started finishing higher in tournaments.

I didn’t say players who are getting better....I said master/shortstops/pro areas.

Case in point... as we know most pros won’t talk about or can’t explain how they aim unless ghost ball generally speaking.

Of course it’s important but by that time the aiming is all subconscious so my comments are more in regard to conscious importance I guess you could say. It was high on my priority list once as well.....it’s a part of my subconscious as I consciously have more important things to spend my attention on.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A thought or two about aiming "metrics" and how I think they're universally used in pool with or without a conscious method or system. (I think methods and systems are mostly choices of which metric(s) to use.)

One very important metric I didn't mention in the pic below is the visual perception of the amount of CB/OB overlap (without reference to fractions, etc.). This may be the most common metric, especially for "pure feel" aimers - in fact, I suspect it's an unconscious metric in all aiming.

I'm not advocating for or against any particular metric(s), methods or systems, just exploring the nature of aiming generally.

pj
chgo

View attachment 67902

I aim without regard to any “method” but rely on intuition and what my eyes and brain tell me. I try not to become obsessed with the pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.