Equal angle aiming.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. Aim CCB 2 COB
2. Pivot cue from your grip to aim the tip at the contact point (CP)
Study the angle A created/between the aim line in step 1 and step 2
3. Pivot the cue from your grip from the aim line to CP in step 2 by the same angle A to
the outside by moving the bridge hand - as shown
4. and shoot

EDGE AIMING 1a.jpg

This works for all cut angles. Compensate for CIT caused by a center ball hit .

When the CB & OB are too close, aim further outside a bit more.:(

angle.PNG

Enjoy:smile:

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Exactly. The contact point on the OB is always halfway between center OB (from ccb perspective) and the fractional aim point needed to pocket the ball.

The tough part with contact points is keeping that spot in focus, especially if you plan on lining CCB to COB, then pivoting/shifting to the ccb to cp line, then shifting again that same angle difference to the actual aim line. Even visualizing a ccb to cob line at the same time you are trying to keep the cp in sight is very tricky. But if you can do this, all you have to do is label the cp as you see it from that ccb to cob perspective. If the cp is at 3/4, then the aim is 1/2 ball. If cp is between 7/8 and 3/4, then the aim would be 5/8. It's much more difficult to do this than it sounds, simply because the cp isn't that easy to see from an offset/cb perspective.

Last edited:

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BC21,

Thanks for the observation and relationship of fractions.

I was equating aiming to visuals sans numbers or fractions for the young beginner to start the process of aiming.

Just keeping it simple.:smile:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The tough part with contact points is keeping that spot in focus.
I find it easy and natural, both because I seem to have that natural ability and because I’ve done it for so long. The OB contact point is the first thing I see.

It doesn’t have to be precisely accurate, just consistent - your brain makes the needed adjustments.

pj
chgo

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's like tossing a wad of paper into a basket. You judge the weight of the wadded paper, the distance and angle to the basket, and the shape of the mouth of the basket. And you shoot. Even on the jumper :)

No system udder than feel.

Lou Figueroa

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
It's like tossing a wad of paper into a basket. You judge the weight of the wadded paper, the distance and angle to the basket, and the shape of the mouth of the basket. And you shoot. Even on the jumper :)

No system udder than feel.

Lou Figueroa
Are you especially aware of certain parts of your shot picture?

I pay attention to the distance between the OB contact point and where my tip is pointing. I don't do anything "systematic" with that info, just see it as clearly as possible while my subconscious aiming computer crunches the numbers.

I think of it as "passively measuring" the cut - I suspect that everybody does some version of it, probably with less awareness of specific points of interest.

pj
chgo

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you especially aware of certain parts of your shot picture?

I pay attention to the distance between the OB contact point and where my tip is pointing. I don't do anything "systematic" with that info, just see it as clearly as possible while my subconscious aiming computer crunches the numbers.

I think of it as "passively measuring" the cut - I suspect that everybody does some version of it, probably with less awareness of specific points of interest.

pj
chgo

My cue tip position up against the CB. That's probably the thing I'm most aware of. I will confess that I've occasionally had passing thoughts of an aiming by cue tip system... but then I wake up.

Lou Figueroa

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will confess that I've occasionally had passing thoughts of an aiming by cue tip system... but then I wake up.

Lou Figueroa

Correct.......but why?

I still keep seeing posts of far off distant lands, these in between fractions and difficulty of deductive compensations, as if "delivery" and the coeffiencies involved with distance, speed and spin (vertical or horizontal or both) are a moot point.

Brian, instead of trying to squeeze out the perception of those pesky in-between visual deductive adjustments, why not just guage distance instead (forget about other cb effects, since sqwirt, friction or spin lubricants are unimportant because we are going to hit the proverbial eye, inside the eye of a teeny tiny spider on the wall from across the room, with a dart) just complete the visual desparity, with a physical "tweek"?

Did I spell that right? Tweek or tweak.

What say you, two, too.

Or tree, or for, or five. Come two, come all too.

Mark twain aint got nuffin on me. Old fool.

DATS RIGHT, I CAWLD'im A FOO, YOU BET I DID!

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol "spin lubricant". You heard it here first from me. One of many coin'uh'jezzzz.

3 sides to a CUEBALL, 3 shot lines, 3 angles of attack per side.

TRIPLE CUBED FLYING GUILLOTINE AERIAL ASSAULT METHOD.

THY HONOR IS TRUE MEIN METHOD.

have a great day peeple's.

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And yes, expect greyghost to chime in becuz we be two bugs in a rug and something or other fo'each'udder.

Dat was for you Lou and I knows wut udder be meaning n'sheeeeet. You a bad man mang. Relentless ain'tcha?

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Y’all need to get back to work lol

I iz an i just ran 35pts an out in a particular game against a particular oponent/semi legend you know of.

Finally, I made history. Broke another major milestone and ironically, he aints happee bout it boss. Shoulds i fetch'im sum dat mint julio sissy done made dis'moe'n boss?

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Correct.......but why?

I still keep seeing posts of far off distant lands, these in between fractions and difficulty of deductive compensations, as if "delivery" and the coeffiencies involved with distance, speed and spin (vertical or horizontal or both) are a moot point.

Brian, instead of trying to squeeze out the perception of those pesky in-between visual deductive adjustments, why not just guage distance instead (forget about other cb effects, since sqwirt, friction or spin lubricants are unimportant because we are going to hit the proverbial eye, inside the eye of a teeny tiny spider on the wall from across the room, with a dart) just complete the visual desparity, with a physical "tweek"?

Did I spell that right? Tweek or tweak.

What say you, two, too.

Or tree, or for, or five. Come two, come all too.

Mark twain aint got nuffin on me. Old fool.

DATS RIGHT, I CAWLD'im A FOO, YOU BET I DID!

You are colorful. I like that. :)

Concerning in-between fractions, there is no "trying" to squeeze out any exact adjustments. It's automatic, subconscious fine tuning based on one's internal shot barometer, the same feel Lou refers to with the tossing of a wadded up piece of paper into a waste basket.

When you first begin fractional aiming there are basic quarters and eighths that are simple aim points when using your cue tip/shaft as an aiming tool. Hitting slightly thinner or thicker than a 3/8 or a 1/2 ball hit might be a concious effort at first, but it becomes automatic. Your brain begins to recognize the subtle difference between a dead 1/2 ball shot and a shot that's slightly thinner (or thicker) than 3/4.

The eyes are feeding a continuous stream of 2-dimensional images to the brain, which is automatically processing the images, judging distances, comparing all shot data to any stored data (memory/experience). For any given shot, a well-trained brain is always working at a subconscious level, "passively measuring the cut", as PJ wrote. Sure there is a conscious input of data and a little surface logic underway, getting us close to the proper alignment or aim line, but the final determination of "does this look right or feel right", is delivered from the deeper areas of brain activity.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not the inverse to find the point on the cue ball after you find the first angle distance on the object ball. Just thinking out loud. In other words the distance on the object ball as determined in figure #2 move to the left from the center cue ball to reach the contact point on the CB.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Why not the inverse to find the point on the cue ball after you find the first angle distance on the object ball. Just thinking out loud. In other words the distance on the object ball as determined in figure #2 move to the left from the center cue ball to reach the contact point on the CB.
Do you mean actually move the stick to the left?

Or move just your eyes to the left and sight contact point-to-contact point, keeping your stick at center ball parallel with your sight line? Similar to how some sight thin cuts along the edge-to-edge line.

pj
chgo

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you mean actually move the stick to the left?

Or move just your eyes to the left and sight contact point-to-contact point, keeping your stick at center ball parallel with your sight line? Similar to how some sight thin cuts along the edge-to-edge line.

pj
chgo

I’m talking about rather than dwell on the contact point on the object ball find it on the cue ball. That’s what is done using the parallel system but this way you use the angle formed by the center line from the cue ball through the object ball and the angle formed through the pocket as shown in diagram #2. The take the base of the angle and instead of doubling it use that distance measured from the centerline though the cue ball to the left. Just a thought to find the cue ball contact point.

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are colorful. I like that. :)

Concerning in-between fractions, there is no "trying" to squeeze out any exact adjustments. It's automatic, subconscious fine tuning based on one's internal shot barometer, the same feel Lou refers to with the tossing of a wadded up piece of paper into a waste basket.

When you first begin fractional aiming there are basic quarters and eighths that are simple aim points when using your cue tip/shaft as an aiming tool. Hitting slightly thinner or thicker than a 3/8 or a 1/2 ball hit might be a concious effort at first, but it becomes automatic. Your brain begins to recognize the subtle difference between a dead 1/2 ball shot and a shot that's slightly thinner (or thicker) than 3/4.

The eyes are feeding a continuous stream of 2-dimensional images to the brain, which is automatically processing the images, judging distances, comparing all shot data to any stored data (memory/experience). For any given shot, a well-trained brain is always working at a subconscious level, "passively measuring the cut", as PJ wrote. Sure there is a conscious input of data and a little surface logic underway, getting us close to the proper alignment or aim line, but the final determination of "does this look right or feel right", is delivered from the deeper areas of brain activity.

Jesus, you always got a story to explain your insanity, no matter what I say, and here it comes boy......what you said or basically said or sort of said, is the biggest load of garbage, and I highly advise anyone who is trying to get to the high levels, like strong semi pro and higher, to not guess or rely on what you said.

You either know what you are doing or you don't.

The more you don't know what you are doing, then the more you are relying on "being in stroke" and everything else associated with it, which means less pressure or none.

It's what I call, letting a player get happy. The more i miss, the more better your type of thinking plays against me. It's totally annoying because I know that type can't bring that game when I miss less or a better player who misses much less.

What does it take to light a fire under your ass son? You remind me of Ned Flanders, except I like Ned because he wouldn't be trying to play pool and give his two cents about how it's done or probables or somes and others.

Yur damn grid be hav'nz gaps n'shit, you bes go fill dem gapples, fo'you catch'uh foo clip an'yo fam'leh reh'lee gwanna fee'let mang.

Have a okely dokely day!

Last edited: