Different Practice technique: Repeated ghost layout

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I threw the balls on the table the other day to practice (I often don't feel like racking and breaking...). I said to myself, this is a nice layout, let me "precisely" plan out the entire layout in my head. AND, let me mark the position of each ball with doughnuts, and play the layout over and over, and see if I can exactly execute, and/or find a better pattern.

I played a race to 7 of the "exact same pattern". I thought it was good practice, and may help to recognize angles and patterns in the future, that may be similar to what I shot over and over in this particular layout. I plan to try the same thing with future layouts.

Also of note, before I did the race to 7 on camera, I tried the layout a bunch of times, and found the problem shots (for me) of going twice across table on the 6 to get to the 7. I then practiced those individually, with varying CB locations, to try to learn them better.

I plan to practice some problem shots (the 7) I had on the video more later, then try the ghost again.

It was fun, and I thought a good practice technique.

Video is below, and set at 5x speed, for easy viewing. Enjoy the Chipmunks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thV9972rgoQ

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I like this idea and I do something similar with my drills. I'll make a match out of it. It helps me gauge my averages whereas just playing to clear the routine tends to result in forgetting all the misses and bad attempts.

Anything that is repetitive and helps us work on problem areas will yield results.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tor Lowry’s Zero X system comes with a book of half-table and full-table patterns to replay and master that increase in difficulty. It’s definitely worth checking out.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I threw the balls on the table the other day to practice (I often don't feel like racking and breaking...). I said to myself, this is a nice layout, let me "precisely" plan out the entire layout in my head. AND, let me mark the position of each ball with doughnuts, and play the layout over and over, and see if I can exactly execute, and/or find a better pattern.

I played a race to 7 of the "exact same pattern". I thought it was good practice, and may help to recognize angles and patterns in the future, that may be similar to what I shot over and over in this particular layout. I plan to try the same thing with future layouts.

Also of note, before I did the race to 7 on camera, I tried the layout a bunch of times, and found the problem shots (for me) of going twice across table on the 6 to get to the 7. I then practiced those individually, with varying CB locations, to try to learn them better.

I plan to practice some problem shots (the 7) I had on the video more later, then try the ghost again.

I do this a lot. It helps me as well.

What I do is:

1. Rack balls with magic rack.
2. Break with my normal break speed etc...
3. Put donuts under all the balls that didn't go on break, including cue ball.
4. Run this drill over and over until I can average 7 - 2 or better.
5. Start a ghost race a try to leave that pattern as best as possible.

Again, good practice. It really should help you score better in your ghost races. Especially if you decide to get the pro-ghost percentage in your favor.

To me, that is the best way to do it. It has got me to the point where it is now no challenge to play the ghost with ball in hand.

I wish I had been doing these drills all along instead of all the others that most instructors suggest.

To me, this is far better than any drill any instructor can give. Very simple, very effective.

Rake

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
I believe Bert used to teach a particular layout that required 9 exact shots to get out of the rack.
I've never done it but the idea seems solid.

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks and I enjoyed watching

I noticed and found it a bit odd how you "struggled from the 4-7 with consistent pattern play but were very consistent with the 1-3. I know there is a distance factor on the one shot but the 5 to 6 to get right on the 7 for the simple follow seemed a little difficult.

I like the concept and wish i had time and a table to do something like this. I think it could be beneficial in many ways.

Did you plan the same route each time did your wanted leaves change as you were going? In other words did you change any thoughts from the first rack through the last?

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really good idea.
It allows you to focus on any weaknesses and
figure out helpful patterns for future games.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
this is a very usefull way to practice
imho
you seem a bit rushed in your shots......:thumbup:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

If you or others want more practice like this, try the 18 8-ball and 9-ball pattern run-out drills in the Bachelors, Masters, and Doctorate versions of BU Exam II. All of the diagrams are available for free in the Exam II documents on the Billiard University (BU) Playing-Ability Exam resource page. The 18 layouts were carefully designed to test a wide range of important CB control and pattern play skills. If you practice enough to master all 18 layouts to the point of being able to run them out consistently, your game will definitely become more solid.

Enjoy,
Dave

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member

I first saw this idea in a post by "Fast Larry", of forum infamy many years ago. I thought it was a good idea and I've used it on many occations. I believe what he thought was that doing things correctly would ingrain good patterns and habits, rather than trying different things over and over and failing. Both forms of learning are valid, but in pool, being one of the most mentally stressing "sports", I think this sort of learning should be used more, rather than playing the 10 ball ghost and failing over and over (for example).

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cool. It was odd how your position play from the 4 ball through the 7 ball got progressively worse after the first few racks. Do you think that maybe you began to take certain shots for granted? Just curious. And I like the Beatles in chipmunk style.:thumbup:

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Pool players have been doing this for decades....

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Someone was marketing stickers for exactly this kind of practice. I think they were just round stickers, but they were the right colors for the balls. I suppose a fanatic could get plain round Avery stickers and print numbers and/or colors on them.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
You play position to shoot the 7 in the corner. Maybe the camera angle is deceptive, but it looks like you could be playing it into the side. you have more margin of error for position playing it in the side and its an easier shot to get position on the 8 instead of the way you punch the 7 into the corner and take whitey side to side.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I've just taken a photo before starting a run and then re-doing it by that.

I love the idea, though, and plan to use it for improvement.....

....or maybe I'll just buy a more expensive cue and hope that helps.

Jeff Livingston

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the comments! I will respond later, at the airport now…

I tried this layout one more time this morning, and I hit it “exactly” like I originally envisioned on every single shot.

This is just one rack, at normal speed, and apologies for forgetting a belt…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4Ct2s0t2-I

1-2 leave small angle for 2 so can bounce one rail for 3
2-3 Leave medium angle for 3 so can draw out of the corner wide 2 rails and hit long rail near the 7, and be a perfect stop shot for the 4
4-5 draw back slightly for better reach on the 5, to have angle to go one rail forward to the 6
6-7 get good angle on the 6, so that a 1 rail drag draw spin soft bounce out to get to the 7, leaving a shallow angle on 7 to get to 8

7-8 cant draw back, because point is right there. Hit center outside and slap the rail to get the angle on the 8, that will lead the CB right to the 9

Each of these choices has backup plans. But this is the "exact" way I envisioned it:)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
You would drive Johnny Archer nuts for two reasons...
1-waaaay too fast
2-he would keep trying to pick up the markers