Play Great Pool by Mark Wilson

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... IMO, a solid A player wouldn't get a very big bang for their buck. Then again, that's true for all instructional books/vids.
I saw a world champion and a future world champion discussing a frozen ball shot. It was clear that neither of them had ever heard of the ten-times-fuller system or had read Wade Crane's instructional columns.

Sometimes reading is a faster way to useful understanding than working everything out on your own.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've bought lots of books.

Lots of videos and DVDs too. And I look at it this way: if I can glean one little titbit, one insight, one technique, one bit of physics knowledge, or just one shot from each of them... well, no matter what they originally cost they have paid for themselves in match or tournament play.

Lou Figueroa

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

Lots of videos and DVDs too. And I look at it this way: if I can glean one little titbit, one insight, one technique, one bit of physics knowledge, or just one shot from each of them... well, no matter what they originally cost they have paid for themselves in match or tournament play.

Lou Figueroa

Excellent way to look at it!

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You should see how much the average text book for a college course costs here. $100 is a bargain.
And it literally it a hard cover text book fit for a college course.

School text books cost that much here also... I just viewed this book as 'another pool book' where most books range between 15 and 25 dollar so $100 is a bit much.

Isn't there an online e-reader version for less, maybe?

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

Yes, that is all true. And I suppose taking lessons from a teaching professional would help also in the same vein. Plus most of these guys are not wealthy so I think we should support their profession. When I come out to St. Louis, I may take a lesson from Mark Wilson.

ballston

Registered
The book came out in 2014 I believe. It is the most comprehensive text on how to play pool I have ever read. I strongly recommend this book. Having said that it is not for lightweight reading or quick fixes.

FYI there were a few threads when this book came out. Some whining and moaning but also a few interesting comments.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=335792
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=347484

Note comments by williebetmore (the motivator/editor/organizer/student/co-author)

Dave
I'd also advise joining the Play Great Pool Facebook site. Mark chimes in frequently with pointers, tips and fun practice drills. Well worth it, as is the book, even at $80.

Texdance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark's involvement in college-level pool instruction could be part of the reason this book looks, and reads, like a first-rate college text.

I bought mine when they first came out. I paid more for the each of Eddie Robin's one pocket books, and almost as much for some lesser instructional materials, so I didn't think the price was too high. It's not cheap, but it is not a cheaply made paperback.

Mark's book is heavy slick paper, hard cover, well bound, full color on many pages, autographed, and mine shipped in a protective box. To me it is a book to be read and handed down to an interested party, or donated to a library, rather than ending up in a garage sale.

Depending on future reprints, I expect this book to retain its value for a long time. Thus, for those who think it is expensive, you can buy it, then read and study it for awhile. If you choose to sell it you'll probably get 80% back, making the use of it almost free. Or you could get it stocked at your local library.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Wow, what an amazing book this is!!! I’m not sure how long this book has been on the market but I am definetly late to the game on reading it. I should have been reading this years ago. Surprisingly, somehow I didnt even know it existed until last week. I assume it’s just not promoted enough (hence the reason for this post). Or maybe it’s the $80 price tag that deters potential buyers?

Regardless, this book is great. I havent read it all yet but it seems to be almost entirely devoted to teaching you how to develop a perfect stroke. It goes into extreme detail on all aspects/fundamentals of the stroke and explains why they are necessary. It also shows common problems that develop, the reason they’ve developed, and how to fix them.

One of my problems was that I had a reverse chicken wing stroke. I’ve tried to correct it myself by focusing on keeping my arm straight but it’s almost impossible to do. Once I started reading this book I realized that my footing was wrong and that’s why my arm was not properly aligning. As soon as I fixed my footing the arm lined up perfectly.

After just a weekend of reading/implementing my stoke is straight as an arrow and I’ve never hit the ball so well. Exciting stuff!!

5/5 stars, A+++, Top Tier

thanks for the review. I bought the book today directly because of this review. I never knew this book was even out there despite it being published almost 5 years ago and likely would not have known had I not read AZ today.

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
Marks Book came out in 2012 if I remember right because I got my copy in November a month or so after the first 1000 came off of the press. Dr. Don Wardell and Mark spent 3 years composing Marks notes, thoughts and writing.

This book has a lot of great information in it from fundamentals, mental aspects of the game, drills ETC. to take your game to the highest level possible. The price is really cheap for such a high quality book.

I often take my book with me and let my college students review it, this re-enforces things that I teach or have taught them. When Mark came to our school the first time he was pleasantly surprised that the students understood or knew what he was talking about when he thought he was introducing some new magic into their game.