Shane from 2000-2007/2008

PoolRookie

Minnesota
Silver Member
Ok I watched tons of YouTube videos of Shane Van Boening over last few years. I was curious if he matched up a lot or played any action matches prior to him bursting on the scene and winning the US Open around 2008 I believe.

Any gambling stories other than the one he told about him and Hennessee playing in 2006/2007? I was in Illinois around 2006 and heard someone talk about a player nicknamed “Deaf Jam,” I’m guessing that’s Shane.

Did Shane gamble with any other great players, top regional players or pros such as Bergman, Walden, McMinn, David G, Double J, Hennessee(been told,) Joyner, Deuel, or any other strong players. I’m not talking about after his epic burst onto the pro scene but prior to 2007. Any stories????

I won’t be responding to each person I don’t have time but please post stories if you have them for all of us to read. I don’t play pool but like many others I love watching action and hearing about it. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
He played Appleton a huge ahead set of bartable 8ball at derby right around 2007/8. If you search hard enough on Az you will find the action threads from derby around then and people took photos of the money stacked up on the light. They were betting pretty high, I dont remember the number but for some reason i recall it being north of 20k each. Me and a buddy were there and had $$$ in on Def Jam against "the english guy" . Both players ran multiple racks of eight ball over and over. The ahead number was unusually high too, i forget again what it was but it was much higher than the more normal 10 ahead matches.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it was “Deaf Jam”...
Yep. He came to Tulsa around 2000ish and beat everybody. One of the top locals said if he couldn't beat this deaf dude he was quitting pool. Meanwhile, about an hour later SVB had flat-out LAZERED his ass. Local was last seen drinking heavily and sampling "recreational shrubbery".

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He played Appleton a huge ahead set of bartable 8ball at derby right around 2007/8. If you search hard enough on Az you will find the action threads from derby around then and people took photos of the money stacked up on the light. They were betting pretty high, I dont remember the number but for some reason i recall it being north of 20k each. Me and a buddy were there and had $$$ in on Def Jam against "the english guy" . Both players ran multiple racks of eight ball over and over. The ahead number was unusually high too, i forget again what it was but it was much higher than the more normal 10 ahead matches.

Was this the match in the front room attached to the restaurant? If so it was on the big table as I recall. I believe 12 ahead, maybe 15 ahead? Either way it was a great match, both played terrific.

I still miss the EW.

Ian

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was this the match in the front room attached to the restaurant? If so it was on the big table as I recall. I believe 12 ahead, maybe 15 ahead? Either way it was a great match, both played terrific.

I still miss the EW.

Ian
I was at DCC in '07 but didn't arrive til Wed. and this match was already done. Everyone was talking tho. I remember the pics of the $$ stacked on the light. It was in 35-45G range iirc. EW was a cool joint. The event just outgrew it plus i think it was sold. The EE across the street is gone now.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I still miss the EW.

Ian
Yep. It was the so-called "practice room". Non-stop action. It was the nightclub for the hotel and they just emptied it and put in 7-8 Diamonds. Watched Joyner, Frost, Cardone, Chohan, Seattle Harry and ton of others gamble in there. It was awesome.

master_cueist

pick your poison
Silver Member
I have several stories I have seen, heard or talked with Shane about. One good one is he was playing a guy one time and was soundly trouncing them and the guy went to rack the balls and out of nowhere he picked up the 7 ball and threw it at Shane out of nowhere! Nothing was ever said by anybody at the time, I think everybody was just in shock. Shane picked up the ball and put it back on the table and Shane finished drilling the guy and there were no other issues the whole set.

Along 2005ish there were talks of him playing Davenport for $10,000 but I don't know if it ever happened or not.

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep. It was the so-called "practice room". Non-stop action. It was the nightclub for the hotel and they just emptied it and put in 7-8 Diamonds. Watched Joyner, Frost, Cardone, Chohan, Seattle Harry and ton of others gamble in there. It was awesome.

Yes, those were great days at EW. Should have been renamed wild west. :)

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recall hearing about Corey spotting Shane the 7 or 8, can't recall which. I think he happened just shortly before Shane really arrived. Shane beat him fairly easily if I recall.

Maybe Justin is still lurking, I am sure he has lots shane stories.

Ian

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First TAR match was pretty huge for Shane, I think that is when the general pool world heard about him

The very first TAR match featured Corey Deuel taking on a young Shane Van Boening in a $10,000 per man action match. The game is ten ball race to 100. The match took place at Lucky's in Sioux Falls South Dakota on September 17-18, 2007.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recall hearing about Corey spotting Shane the 7 or 8, can't recall which. I think he happened just shortly before Shane really arrived. Shane beat him fairly easily if I recall.

Maybe Justin is still lurking, I am sure he has lots shane stories.

Ian

Not too long ago Shane played Corey 10 ball spotting him the 7 I think, Corey lost and I think he said afterward "guess I'll need the 6" LOL

SpinDoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember playing in the VNEA many years ago, when Shane was still really young(maybe 19ish), and every time I went to the Cue Club he was there and taking on all comers. He won the VNEA singles that year, if I recall correctly, and snapped off almost everyone who tried him.

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First TAR match was pretty huge for Shane, I think that is when the general pool world heard about him

The very first TAR match featured Corey Deuel taking on a young Shane Van Boening in a $10,000 per man action match. The game is ten ball race to 100. The match took place at Lucky's in Sioux Falls South Dakota on September 17-18, 2007.
Yeup, and in an interview many years later, Shane hinted that he started losing games on purpose... but still won 100-70. lol!

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
I have several stories I have seen, heard or talked with Shane about. One good one is he was playing a guy one time and was soundly trouncing them and the guy went to rack the balls and out of nowhere he picked up the 7 ball and threw it at Shane out of nowhere! Nothing was ever said by anybody at the time, I think everybody was just in shock. Shane picked up the ball and put it back on the table and Shane finished drilling the guy and there were no other issues the whole set.

Along 2005ish there were talks of him playing Davenport for $10,000 but I don't know if it ever happened or not.

That was Hennesey who threw the ball.
In 2006 Shane came to Dallas, and showed up at Clicks on Marsh. My buddy drilled his nuts all night. Shane came back the next day, and played another guy, who played about a ball better than my friend. Shane tortured him, then offered him the 8. He declined, so Shane turned to friend and ask him if he wanted to play some more lol. My buddy wanted none of it, after seeing what he could really do.
We just happened to catch him on a off night :thumbup:.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was Hennesey who threw the ball.
In 2006 Shane came to Dallas, and showed up at Clicks on Marsh. My buddy drilled his nuts all night. Shane came back the next day, and played another guy, who played about a ball better than my friend. Shane tortured him, then offered him the 8. He declined, so Shane turned to friend and ask him if he wanted to play some more lol. My buddy wanted none of it, after seeing what he could really do.
We just happened to catch him on a off night :thumbup:.

Were you in CJ's either time when he played Roger G?

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Shane won. It took a while but he won.

The old executive west was much more intimate but also much more dangerous as they did not have anywhere near the security that the Horseshoe has. I do remember fondly the EW but since I myself narrowly avoided getting robbed at 6am going to my room, I do not miss the place too much.