help id this cue?

scassidy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can anyone identify the cue on the left with the white linen wrap? I'm trying to figure out what brand or model it is and what it is worth? Thanks

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 773

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Late 70's-early '80's Asian import. Had one like it. I paid 50bux for one new (with a cheap box case) in '80.

scassidy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Late 70's-early '80's Asian import. Had one like it. I paid 50bux for one new (with a cheap box case) in '80.

Oh really? That stinks. I found these for sale cheap and thought that one looked nice. I was hoping it was at least a mediocre grade cue. I was thinking about picking it up, getting it refinished, and having a 3/8x 10 pin installed on it. Doesn't sound like it would be worth it. Thanks for the info

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh really? That stinks. I found these for sale cheap and thought that one looked nice. I was hoping it was at least a mediocre grade cue. I was thinking about picking it up, getting it refinished, and having a 3/8x 10 pin installed on it. Doesn't sound like it would be worth it. Thanks for the info
You might get 50bux for all of them at a flea market. Maybe. Don't waste your time or $$.

cesarmorales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You might want to wait.

That one of the left could be an old Mali but if someone had one exactly like it they would know more than my guess. Look at some of the old mali catalog's.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The one on the left is not a Mali. 100% for sure.

Those butterflies are full splice and can make nice blanks for conversions. But that does not really make them any more valuable. I would give 15 or 20 bucks for one of the butterfly cues, but honestly they will attract more than that on Ebay.

The fancy one resembles some Mali models and some Adam models, as well as some Eckes models (I know, you probably never heard of the last one).

It is possible the fancy one is a very low end Adam model. They made some with those crappy joints and even with ramin wood and decals. But I don't think this is one.

All inexpensive cues.

Last edited:

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
That is the JU line from Asia.... the NK series
NK-1, NK-2, NK-3, NK-4

So that's JU-NK-1 through 4 for you collectors... :)

JV

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is the JU line from Asia.... the NK series
NK-1, NK-2, NK-3, NK-4

So that's JU-NK-1 through 4 for you collectors... :)

JV

Good eyes there. No many know those obscure model lines.

One of those spare shafts is from the famous POS line. I think it's from a POS-3 or 4 by the rings.

I think people are often overly critical of the quality of such products. I think the quality is amazing when you consider it likely was produced by a malnourished 8 year old Chinese kid on a wood lathe.

Of course, some of them we find are treasures made by the legendary maker, Mr Bud Weiser. :)

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll bet if you go to a pool hall late enough with enough alcohol in enough pool players you could get a few bucks for the cue on the left as long as it rolls okay and doesn't make any weird noises when you hit a ball with it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll bet if you go to a pool hall late enough with enough alcohol in enough pool players you could get a few bucks for the cue on the left as long as it rolls okay and doesn't make any weird noises when you hit a ball with it.
If you pull that s^*t be real sure you don't go back for a while. If ever.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you pull that s^*t be real sure you don't go back for a while. If ever.

I bought a cue from a guy once and then played him in a tournament and beat him with his former cue. Offered to sell it back for twice what I paid for it.

I still own the cue and I'd like to sell it but it has ivory so I can't mail it. Guess I'm stuck with it unless I can sell it local.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know almost nothing about cues other than the feel of the ones I like to play with.
That said , I used to go to a small town about 45 minutes from my house to play and I had told all the regulars I collected pool memorabilia , I am 99% sure I said no cues, but one night this young guy walks in and he's all excited and says " I found this really cool old cue for you" I know you said you collect this stuff.
I looked at it and it was one like the fancy end one in the photos.
I asked him how much he paid and he said 50.00. I almost threw up.
I gave him 60.00 and made myself a promise I would never be anything but 100 % sure I had said , absolutely no cues!.
It sat in a closet for a year or two and every time I saw it I got that feeling of yuk.
I thought "i'll put it on fleabay and if I get 20 dollars of my money back, I'll be thrilled.
It sold for 225.00 and I kicked myself again.
I have no idea what it was , but I am sure it wasn't what I thought it was.
That's why I still don't buy cues .

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member

Your lucky day
You have exactly what you hoped for

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know almost nothing about cues other than the feel of the ones I like to play with.
That said , I used to go to a small town about 45 minutes from my house to play and I had told all the regulars I collected pool memorabilia , I am 99% sure I said no cues, but one night this young guy walks in and he's all excited and says " I found this really cool old cue for you" I know you said you collect this stuff.
I looked at it and it was one like the fancy end one in the photos.
I asked him how much he paid and he said 50.00. I almost threw up.
I gave him 60.00 and made myself a promise I would never be anything but 100 % sure I had said , absolutely no cues!.
It sat in a closet for a year or two and every time I saw it I got that feeling of yuk.
I thought "i'll put it on fleabay and if I get 20 dollars of my money back, I'll be thrilled.
It sold for 225.00 and I kicked myself again.
I have no idea what it was , but I am sure it wasn't what I thought it was.
That's why I still don't buy cues .

My experience is that people tend to undervalue such cues. They can sell quite well on Ebay.

Those 4 cues sold for $66 plus $21 shipping. So...$87. Higher I think that most here would think...but if you separate them you can get substantially more...if you sell them right.

A lot of times cues that are called "cheap junk" around here actually sell for $150, $200, $250 on Ebay.

In fact, if you know how to sell them, that's about $300 to $400 worth of cues in the OP.

I know...that's crazy.....

I said I would give $20 for one of the butterfly cues. Funny how close that ends up being to the breakdown of the actual sale price. :rolleyes: :wink: