Mc Dermott fiber ferrules

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
were always easy for me to play with i am looking to buy several dozen i could use some help finding them

have any of you guys ever played

Dean with them,if so did you like them?

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was referring to the fiber ferrules used in the 80's ,90's

these are not the same ,are they?

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You mean the ones with the criss-crossed grain in them like this example?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/OMUAAOSwdeVdKQmz/s-l1600.jpg

I have a few of these on my old McDermott cues. Hard to keep clean but they do play nice. I have this ferrule on two shafts from an E series cue from the 90's as well.

Or do you mean the other ones that tend to shrink and turn yellow? I couldn't find a picture of one of those but they tended to separate and get a gap as they shrunk because they are not threaded on.

I do not know the material name for either, but I do know there were two different materials.

Rockin' Robin

Mr. Texas Express
Silver Member
Original McD ferrules were a paper based material and were 3/8-10 threads. If they go very hot or wet they would separate from the base and leave a gap. The threads were only at the top of the tenon. I replaced untold number over the years and tried to buy a barrel of them when they changed to a different material.....alas they reside in a land fill. Huebler had a similar size and shape that was linen based and was a much better material, but it was just an unthreaded tube, and Paul up and died before I could acquire any. Deano I don't think any are left anywhere for purchase or I would have tracked them down by now.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Original McD ferrules were a paper based material and were 3/8-10 threads. If they go very hot or wet they would separate from the base and leave a gap. The threads were only at the top of the tenon. I replaced untold number over the years and tried to buy a barrel of them when they changed to a different material.....alas they reside in a land fill. Huebler had a similar size and shape that was linen based and was a much better material, but it was just an unthreaded tube, and Paul up and died before I could acquire any. Deano I don't think any are left anywhere for purchase or I would have tracked them down by now.

I believe the factory caught fire.

Why would anyone want that ferrule ?
It absorbed chalk and moisture like no other.

Mason Micarta is a much better lightweight material .

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thank you Robin

as to why anyone would want them,i like the way they play

seem soft and easy to control

i don't really know but i am buying now

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You mean the ones with the criss-crossed grain in them like this example?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/OMUAAOSwdeVdKQmz/s-l1600.jpg

I have a few of these on my old McDermott cues. Hard to keep clean but they do play nice. I have this ferrule on two shafts from an E series cue from the 90's as well.

Or do you mean the other ones that tend to shrink and turn yellow? I couldn't find a picture of one of those but they tended to separate and get a gap as they shrunk because they are not threaded on.

I do not know the material name for either, but I do know there were two different materials.

Simple solutions for these ferrules were to run a 5/16x14 tap thru them. The tap was actually for a .323x14. This is for use with the ferrules that have the i.d. of .321. There was also ferrules with a 1/4" i.d. as well as 5/16". Chris Hightowwer once mentioned what they were worth. Sought of made me smile even though I never thought about selling any.

IMG_20190727_000351.jpg

Last edited: