Lots of Custom Cues But Only a Scanty Amount of Custom Cue Cases

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
John......you presentation of the information and alternatives is I was looking for & was comprehensive which I appreciated. You also impress me with your forthright remarks & that meant
a lot, as well as not endorsing yourself except as an expression of building a true customer designed case and I completely understand why you make that distinction which was very clear to me.

I have a couple of themes in mind.......I don't know if either can be attempted.......but I also have a less creative designs. The wait is of course bothersome but it could be worse......what if I was the last order
on Joel Hercek's new cue orders list........2028 -2029 ? before I'd see my cue......now that's a wait I don't think I can indulge at my age because I really would like to see the finished cue before my lids close.

Anyway, thank you for the great input I've been able to ascertain from your kind help. The theme cue case is just a notion I had after seeing some cases on the web and I was inspired.......that's likely a little
unrealistic and just a fancy tooled leather case seems more practical. I'll keep my eyes open but most of the cases I spot from time to time that appeal are too small (1x2 & 2x4). I already have a tooled
leather Instoke 2x4 case, plus the 3x7 's and a 4x8 soft leather. After my last cue arrives which is anytime now, I'll get more serious about seeing if the resale market offers any candidates and ponder
which case-maker is go to guy if I order a new custom leather cue case.

Thanks again for the information and John, a special note of appreciation for your help.

Matt B.
You're more than welcome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Tarheel

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quality Cases

My top three have been and will always be Justis, Melton and Whitten. You cannot go wrong with any of these guys. The best in quality and construction.

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
The only option for full custom is John Barton cases.

That is if you consider building the case to the customer's needs part of full custom.

If we are only talking about decoration then yes there are many makers who can do amazing decoration on the type of case they are able to build.

But there is no other maker who can show the diversity and breadth of construction that we have done. Not being arrogant here it is simply the truth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I won't argue with you John. There are other options than you for a full custom case, and many people have chosen that route. You're a talented designer/case maker/etc.

dom_poppa

Banned
John......you presentation of the information and alternatives is I was looking for & was comprehensive which I appreciated. You also impress me with your forthright remarks & that meant
a lot, as well as not endorsing yourself except as an expression of building a true customer designed case and I completely understand why you make that distinction which was very clear to me.

I have a couple of themes in mind.......I don't know if either can be attempted.......but I also have a less creative designs. The wait is of course bothersome but it could be worse......what if I was the last order
on Joel Hercek's new cue orders list........2028 -2029 ? before I'd see my cue......now that's a wait I don't think I can indulge at my age because I really would like to see the finished cue before my lids close.

Anyway, thank you for the great input I've been able to ascertain from your kind help. The theme cue case is just a notion I had after seeing some cases on the web and I was inspired.......that's likely a little
unrealistic and just a fancy tooled leather case seems more practical. I'll keep my eyes open but most of the cases I spot from time to time that appeal are too small (1x2 & 2x4). I already have a tooled
leather Instoke 2x4 case, plus the 3x7 's and a 4x8 soft leather. After my last cue arrives which is anytime now, I'll get more serious about seeing if the resale market offers any candidates and ponder
which case-maker is go to guy if I order a new custom leather cue case.

Thanks again for the information and John, a special note of appreciation for your help.

Matt B.

Don't put your eggs in one basket.

I recommend just getting a new one to carry a few.

Last edited:

dom_poppa

Banned
For a few cases, if you don't mind that its not leather....sporty, good looking and high quality.
csp2x4b-4.jpg

Maybe find a builder that can build you this but outfitted in leather.
cc5f_35.JPG

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
there are two case makers that weren't mentioned here who also make some great cases, they are Dennis Swift and Garth Bair of On Q Cases.

I have some Eastwood cases and this guy may be the best leather carver ever. But as JB pointed out, Phil's cases are more collectible pieces of art than they are functional (read bring all of your muscles).

The Justis cow case David posted above is just spectacular. :thumbup:

I have an antelope Instroke case from when JB was there when they were in Germany - I think it's gorgeous and certainly is functional.

JB made me an ultimate rugged and there were a number of specific custom requirements that he executed to perfection. These cases are phenominal!!!

Anyone ever see a genuine Versace green ostrich case with purple velvet interior? :cool:

There are def some great custom options out there.

GL with your hunt for a case, Matt.

Below is my eastwood shark case that gets a lot of attn when I bring it out (rarely).

best,
brian kc

Attachments

• eastwood-sharky-sw-cue.jpg
    eastwood-sharky-sw-cue.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 434
  • eastwood-sharky-twirl-button.jpg
    eastwood-sharky-twirl-button.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 419
  • eastwood-shark-case-R-full.jpg
    eastwood-shark-case-R-full.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 354

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My orientation towards custom cue cases has become accelerated much faster than I hoped.
Whereas I was a big admirer of a few case makers, Phil Eastwood seems to be at the top of
the totem pole. I was not anticipating there would be that many names to consider and I can't
help by wonder why people don't post photos of their pool cue gear.......some of these cases
compete head to head with the cue inside for sheer beauty & creativity. I wish I had started
this when I was younger but it's never too late......leather is still considered legal to use, well,
at least some types of leather haven't been banned like some types of Lizard leather, etc.

Matt B.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I won't argue with you John. There are other options than you for a full custom case, and many people have chosen that route. You're a talented designer/case maker/etc.

I am a skilled person in my field. Not the highest skilled and not an artist.

But I will certainly quibble over definitions.

When I think of custom cue cases I think of the use fiest and the decoration secondarily.

No other case maker you can name does the amount of custom builds that we do. None.

Www.jbcases.com/casesbyname.html if you think I am wrong.

Www.jbcases.com/catalog to see hundreds more

And we are several hundred behind in updating the site.

Lets just keep it factual. If your pet casemaker could compete with our abilty to build custom configurations he would be doing it. But this is why we get lots of business he cant handle. You posted after me to needle me because I left him off the list. If any one needs a reference list of unhappy customers to know why I left him off I will be happy to send you that list in private.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
My orientation towards custom cue cases has become accelerated much faster than I hoped.
Whereas I was a big admirer of a few case makers, Phil Eastwood seems to be at the top of
the totem pole. I was not anticipating there would be that many names to consider and I can't
help by wonder why people don't post photos of their pool cue gear.......some of these cases
compete head to head with the cue inside for sheer beauty & creativity. I wish I had started
this when I was younger but it's never too late......leather is still considered legal to use, well,
at least some types of leather haven't been banned like some types of Lizard leather, etc.

Matt B.

Phil will make you a piece of iconic art no doubt.

dom_poppa

Banned

I'm sure he's talented and Mr. and Mrs. Barton can probably produce a very nice custom case but JB Case, as a brand, is not fully custom.

The brand has many product lines that you can customize. Essentially a template. If you like a certain case they will customize that particular case to your liking. It's not like you are drawing up blueprints and they are building exactly what you want. Exactly what you want from their line. So it's semi-custom.

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
I am a skilled person in my field. Not the highest skilled and not an artist.

But I will certainly quibble over definitions.

When I think of custom cue cases I think of the use fiest and the decoration secondarily.

No other case maker you can name does the amount of custom builds that we do. None.

Www.jbcases.com/casesbyname.html if you think I am wrong.

Www.jbcases.com/catalog to see hundreds more

And we are several hundred behind in updating the site.

Lets just keep it factual. If your pet casemaker could compete with our abilty to build custom configurations he would be doing it. But this is why we get lots of business he cant handle. You posted after me to needle me because I left him off the list. If any one needs a reference list of unhappy customers to know why I left him off I will be happy to send you that list in private.

Get over yourself Jon. Not everything cue case related is about you.

This is my last post on the subject, and I'll be sure to add you back to my ignore list.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I'm sure he's talented and Mr. and Mrs. Barton can probably produce a very nice custom case but JB Case, as a brand, is not fully custom.

The brand has many product lines that you can customize. Essentially a template. If you like a certain case they will customize that particular case to your liking. It's not like you are drawing up blueprints and they are building exactly what you want. Exactly what you want from their line. So it's semi-custom.

God I hate this.

Yes, within our capabilities we build whatever the customer wants. If a customer wants to pay for the costs involved to build a carbon fiber case that opens with fingerprint scanning and and a blood sample backup I will build it.

our ONLY limitation is the tech we have at our disposal and the customer's budget.

Usually when I give out the price of creating first-time crazy feature the customer is willing to listen to more cost effective alternatives to fill his needs.

We have a lot of lines and styles because that is how things evolved. Inside those lines and styles we have made literally thousands of variations and there are millions of combinations available just on what we have done so far.

And billions of ways to build a case based on the fact that people's imagination is unlimited.

This is only a partial list of things we have done.

From decoration to construction we go above and beyond to try and build to the customer's desires. And yes, we have occasionally built to the customer's "blueprints". Sometimes those plans have run 12 pages long and more than a hundred emails. We didn't charge nearly enough.......

I just got of the phone with a customer talking about his specific needs for 30 minutes. So I know you like to go out of your way to make snide little remarks to put us down but really you are clueless when it comes to our business and what we offer.

I am really surprised that you didn't suggest to Matt that he buy a Guiseppe as that's your usual goto brand when the subject of cases comes up.

We are talking about high end cases here. Something you really don't know anything about. Matt is appreciative of the art in cases and that's what we are celebrating.

People like you and Hanso just like to use the opportunity to get your little barbs in.

-----------------

Here you go Matt, here are some pictures of some of the makers' work that I mentioned earlier. Most of these can be found on AZB if you look long enough. I saved them in one spot until a few years ago when I stopped looking so much at other people's work.

http://www.jbcases.com/gallery/index.php?g2_itemId=9833&g2_highlightId=12171

main.php

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
~

Just to make sure others don't get the wrong idea from you post, I called John (okay, I Skyped him at the time) and we worked through a case I wanted for my 3-piece Sheldon Lebow cue, a cue that had two shaft. There wasn't anything like the case I wanted on the JBCases site, nor had I ever seen anything like it. I'd say John Barton came through in spades with the custom case I wanted, as I described it. Can't ask much more for a custom case maker.

Freddie <~~~ can't imagine it not being custom

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John....I know a way of silencing some of your critics......maybe you should build me a case and I will put it out there for all to see, It doesn't need to be a Eastwood style case
and like I earlier wrote, I realize the themes I had in mind are just far-fetched notions........I know you do not need the business but maybe this could save me a few years wait
at the same time. Anyway, just putting that out there in case it should ever strike your fancy....Thanks again for all the great ideas and comments.

Matt B.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
New Barton for Bava!

John....I know a way of silencing some of your critics......maybe you should build me a case and I will put it out there for all to see, It doesn't need to be a Eastwood style case
and like I earlier wrote, I realize the themes I had in mind are just far-fetched notions........I know you do not need the business but maybe this could save me a few years wait
at the same time. Anyway, just putting that out there in case it should ever strike your fancy....Thanks again for all the great ideas and comments.

Matt B.

I want to see this happen!! New Barton for Bava campaign. I have a ultimate rugged 4x8, a rugged butterfly and my business partner has a 4x8 leather, what I consider custom case, and they are all great. I would like one of Johns tribute cases that Dean had commissioned. Don't think I've seen any brown leather ones for resale yet. I don't care what you think about John Barton, you cannot say he doesn't build a great case. Tom

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

Matt B.

Have to get through the other AZB members who are owed cases from way back first. Most of them are being incredibly kind with their patience.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I would like to see Matt get a great case from John & Karen as well. If you see my signature, I have 4 of their cases now. if you look harder, you will see they are building me 2 more plus a travel case at the moment. Very hard not to keep giving them business when there make quality items with the best protection out there.