White wood?

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
For the purpose of cues, holly is the white wood of choice. However, there are several woods that are brilliant white when first cut, but very quickly darken or change color. In order to keep the wood pure white, the log must be milled immediately upon being felled, and the lumber dried immediately upon milling. If you can do this, then you have many, many options for white wood. Here in the states you have at least 3 types of maple, holly, hornbeam, basswood, aspen, etc. that are brilliant white if you are quick enough to preserve it. Holly is favored for its whiteness, but it's no whiter than the others. It has minimal visible grain characteristics so the color has a flat, smooth texture. Maples & hornbeam have bolder medullary rays than holly, so they will show a sparkle on the quartered sides.

Here's a piece of chalk maple, a southern variation of sugar maple. I cut the tree, milled the log, and began the drying all same day. In person this wood is as white as holly but this particular piece has curly figure that gives texture to the color.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Holly is a great choice but a pain in the pooper to work with, and it doesn't get any easier down the road for refinishing. It's a dust magnet. If you can get it impregnated then you'll be ok. I used it in the late 90's. Now, I choose Elforyn but it's not wood. It resist dust and is really white. You just have to make sure your work is tight to avoid glue lines.

sileighty_guru

5A Grade Wood Pecker
Silver Member
I concur that Holly is a PITA to work... but if you get it right you'll love it :)

This was my first attempt at a butterfly anything... It was a segmented holly handle the holly looked just as good as Ivory IMO. There is holly used in the butterfly's also...

12465940_546545085522436_9176866453054496410_o.jpg

12469652_546545605522384_2900067876960280066_o.jpg

12507638_554752841368327_2639574156615317446_n.jpg

12417669_554752871368324_4157677132296460915_n.jpg

Sorry for the file size!

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Holly next to ebony is very challenging. :) Like two magnets trying to impose their color on each other. You have to be a good dust referee.

Mario

limache

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1c126dbb64b00b8071a9fd10990f92ce.jpg

This is going to sound stupid but I recently bought these mugs and thought "wow I really like the gold and white design/theme. I wonder if you can make a cue like this" that's why I asked about the white wood

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
although it's not wood as you asked for,
ELFORYN is as white as white can be

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 206
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 199

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
he's talking about the elf with grain
the pics i showed you are the plain elforyn, no grain

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought some holly from Joe and it's not white at all, more grayish/yellow.
Find another dealer.

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
your cuemaker will know where to get it , atlas billiards

about the same as a good pc of holly or maybe a little bit more[/

http://www.cuecomponents.com/cuecoeltu.html

I heard bad things about it.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

i HEARD this on the internet (HERE)
"Holly is the only naturally white hardwood but you don't see it used in cues much. Brilliant white cues are fiberglass or painted."

by god , if it's written on the internet it must be 100% accurate :rolleyes:

Last edited:

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i HEARD this on the internet (HERE)
"Holly is the only naturally white hardwood but you don't see it used in cues much. Brilliant white cues are fiberglass or painted."

by god , if it's written on the internet it must be 100% accurate :rolleyes:

It's the only wood choice for consistency, availability, and it's reasonably affordable.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think German Hornbeam can be fairly white.

Yes, I got some that is white ish. But I don`t think you will ever find hornbeam as white as holly can be.
For those who`s wondering. I`m using hornbeam to make break shafts (or atleast exmerimenting with hornbeam as shaft wood.) I think it would be a nice core material too.

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not the easiest thing to get a nice, clear piece of holly that doesn't move when you look at it... at least large enough for what I'd like to use it for...