Possible to identify the age of a pool table?

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member

Attachments

• E10BABD0-99A1-4648-87D7-22AC696E8AA6.jpeg
    E10BABD0-99A1-4648-87D7-22AC696E8AA6.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 147

Luposian

Registered
Tell all your visitors it's from June 27, 2003. It was Willie Mosconi's 90th birthday.

Nobody will know and it's at least mildly interesting.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

If pool tables are something that are simply made and nobody cares when or how, then so be it. When I get “enthused” about something, I want to know as much as I can about the specifics, when possible. I sense I may be chasing after impossibilities. And, if so, that’s a sad end to my search. But that’s life. I’ll just have to content myself with knowing I simply have an older 7’ Connelly Prescott (pre-1.25” slate (anyone know when the switch from 1” happened?)) and that it’s got Ardesia Biggio slate and the best felt I can get for it... and leave it at that.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
If pool tables are something that are simply made and nobody cares when or how, then so be it. When I get “enthused” about something, I want to know as much as I can about the specifics, when possible. I sense I may be chasing after impossibilities. And, if so, that’s a sad end to my search. But that’s life. I’ll just have to content myself with knowing I simply have an older 7’ Connelly Prescott (pre-1.25” slate (anyone know when the switch from 1” happened?)) and that it’s got Ardesia Biggio slate and the best felt I can get for it... and leave it at that.
I understand and can get that way about some things. Queen Anne was an interesting gal if you ever want some fun facts to roll out about your table style's namesake.

And while I know everyone does it...Simonis is not felt, it is a worsted wool woven cloth. Felt is for cowboy hats and sock puppet decorating. Your 860 is cloth.

Luposian

Registered
And while I know everyone does it...Simonis is not felt, it is a worsted wool woven cloth. Felt is for cowboy hats and sock puppet decorating. Your 860 is cloth.

I know that. I used the wrong term, but I kinda thought it was a slightly interchangable term (a type of forgivable faux pas amongst those "in the know"). The woolen stuff is moreoften called "felt" correct? Or is true "felt" really cheap stuff, even worse than the woolen stuff? The standard stuff used on Chinese junk MDF topped tables, like the Fat Cat Reno II...

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Felt is simply a different product, generally inconsistent, lumpy and prone to shedding unless it is worked extensively. Felt is pressed together fibers, and not woven the way cloth is.

Simonis 860 is a worsted wool cloth (10% nylon, 90% long wool fibers twisted and weaved) that is then sheared (shaved) smooth after weaving.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard table mechanics with a lot of experience call cloth felt. May not be pedantically correct but it is used quite a bit.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I've heard table mechanics with a lot of experience call cloth felt. May not be pedantically correct but it is used quite a bit.
Yes, but our OP seemed genuinely interested in being correct about his table.

Last edited:

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to have a Connelly Ultimate. It was date stamped under the rail cloth on the tops of all the rails in between the feather strip plow and the cushions. I think I remember that they used red ink.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bet a felt bike is very nice, smoooth on da junk.

That thing is hard to ride, I tell you that. Especially on the taint!

Stiff as hell and real twitchy geometry...feels real right at about 25mph+ though.

It was a spare pro team bike that never got built up. I am not the rider that torture device was made for...yuh know?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191022-212158.jpg
    Screenshot_20191022-212158.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

Luposian

Registered
Yes, but our OP seemed genuinely interested in being correct about his table.

I wanted to know specifics about the table (age, mainly), itself. I was not concerned with whether or not I used the exactly correct terminology for *parts* of the table. And, as I saw no text/printing except what I’ve mentioned, I doubt I shall ever know for sure until such time as the bumpers/rails need to be reclothed, if such a date stamp is on mine as well. Maybe one day we will know... :-D