Did The JB vs Lou Match Settle The Great Aiming Debate Once & For All?

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I think not.

There will always be the possibility of finding players who do use a 'system' that can beat Lou and, conversely, there are lots of players using no official 'system' that can win against John.

The same can be said of Geno and Bartram who finally matched up not too long ago. With a little humor it became "one man, a van, and an aiming system vs "one man, no aiming system". :grin: btw, Chris, the 'no system' guy in that match, hit practically every shot with *w-a-y* outside. What's up with that? ;)

IMHO, pretty much all of us use some sort of an aiming system, whether we're 'throwing' balls in with a little sidespin or even something as simple as eyeballing and maybe laying our sticks down on the table to aid in measuring the ghost ball angle we need, these are systems we employ to help pot balls.

I'm not sure if the more sophisticated aiming systems like CTE, TOI, or whatever, are any better than H.A.M.B. (hitting a million balls), I think that's a decision we can all make for ourselves. If you want to explore one of these and you think it might save you some time or make your game better, then I say more power to you. :thumbup:

And if you find success with it, even more power to you.

The one thing about this topic that I am certain of, is this:

It's not one size fits all, never was and never will be.

Therefore, I don't believe we should defend and debate it like it's a religion. What you like and believe may not be the same as me.

Pool is our passion and it's supposed to be fun, right?

Then live and let live.

And enjoy the journey.

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

Diamond69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me it is very simple.

TO EACH THEIR OWN!

If you don't use one, fine.

If you do use one, fine. Whether it works as advertised, helps beginners get better faster, or just a placebo effect that gives a player confidence.

I never understood why anyone would want to disprove something that they don't need or use.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
To me it is very simple.

TO EACH THEIR OWN!

If you do use one, fine. Whether it works as advertised, helps beginners get better faster, or just a placebo effect that gives a player confidence.

I never understood why anyone would want to disprove something that they don't need or use.

very first response gets a tap, tap, tap. :cool:

best,
brian kc

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Brian,

Remember years ago, a very good friend asked me how I aim. Told him I just didn't know for sure. After playing for over fifty years, I line up the shot, decide where the cue ball needs to be for the next ball and pull the trigger. His response was " I knew you didn't know how to play"!

Think for a small percentage of players, that's the answer. For a much larger number of players, an aiming system might help. Also why custom pool cue craftsman exist. A good one piece with a decent tip will do the same job.

Whatever floats your boat :D !

Lyn

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know why people get so angry at aiming systems lol I've played with them... They work. Hell center to edge I can do my pivot close my eyes and still pocket the ball. It was just to much moving around for me. they work but no one says you will never miss again just because you have an aiming system. If that's all there was to playing run out pool I would have bored of this game a long time a go.

Roadking

sweet william
Silver Member
To me it is very simple.

TO EACH THEIR OWN!

I said this from the get go. You use it, good. You don't use it, good.
The more info a person can learn & know the better.
Personally I use the old & proven HAMB method.

CMD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Absolutely NOT.

I thought pool was about pocketing balls and winning matches?

Who cares how it happens as long as someone isn't cheating.

It's definitely not worth $10k plus the hundreds of extra hours of practice and hours away from young children.

Dumb match for even dumber reasons.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a race to 15 of 9/10b would be a better reflection on how well JB shoots with his aiming system.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I use the best, most accurate aiming system in the world. No matter, the older I get, I realize I also use the worse delivery system in the world. :)

The point being, if you have no stroke, you gotta go broke. :thumbup:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Aiming systems are great if you can hit the spec you're aiming at, use no spin, and have all shots under 5' shots. Johnnyt

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is an aiming system?

Are there really players out there that do not aim? Don't be daft..

Following from that idea.. Are there players out there that believe there are players out there that go around knocking in balls without aiming? they should all be dragged outside and then shot and killed... With a spoon..

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member

Following from that idea.. Are there players out there that believe there are players out there that go around knocking in balls without aiming? they should all be dragged outside and then shot and killed... With a spoon..

A spoon-fed death? LOL. Johnnyt

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member

Like I said, what you like may not be what I like.

I prefer going center to edge with a knife and fork. :grin-square::eek:

best,
brian kc

youngstownkid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
babyface

One of those old pain in the butt one pocket players at the pool hall told me a story once about the lesson he got from Mike G. Basically, Mike walked him over to a pool table and said show me your stance. (Guys gets down in a shooting posistion) Ok, that looks good. Now see the 6ball? (Yes). Now make it. (Are you going to tell me where to aim?) Hit it where it says "in"...

"Hit it where it says in!" - love it

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ask Phil Burford about an aiming system. He's nearby. Better yet, go play with him and see it first-hand.

Stan Shuffett

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
There should never have been an argument about it in the first place. Debate fine. Argument no. Defamation no. Name calling no. And that goes for both sides.

And that's what the match was about for me.

Reactions: CMD

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aiming System = Religion

If you need it -Great, If you don't need it - Great.

No ones business but your own really.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Aiming System = Religion

If you need it -Great, If you don't need it - Great.

No ones business but your own really.

Not religion. Aiming System = Tool. You can get the job done without the tool but if you have it and like it then use it.

Religion is believing in something you can't prove and it's been an unfair accusation and the root of all this.

An aiming system is a method of looking at the balls to align your eyes and body to the shot. That's all they ever were and all that they are. They are knowledge that can be taught and passed on like I can hand you a tool. You can use that tool and pass it on or let lay in the box never to be used or spoken of again, your choice.

But to say it's religion is wrong.