How beneficial is an aiming system?

nahog99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I'll start with some background on me. I started playing pool about 2.5 years ago at the age of 23 by joining my friends APA team. I had pretty much 0 experience but knew that I would love it as I am very competitive, and love physics and geometry. Bowling and drumming are two other things I excelled at previously, which require a lot of repetitive hand eye coordination type practice so I figured pool would be perfect for me.

Here's where I'm at now. I'm a 6 in the APA and i win about 65-70% of my matches each session. I know that APA skill levels are not the best indicator but it's the only way I can describe my "speed" on the internet in a way that most everyone can relate to. I'm proud of the fact that I've gotten to where I am in a relatively short time but know that I am still a VERY small fish.

I'm wondering now what is the best way to improve further. Obviously its practice practice practice, but what KIND of practice. Some people tell me to just "feel" and others preach aiming systems, and TOI, and all that jazz. One of the best players I've ever seen, Shannon Murphy from cinncinnati, said he pretty much just feels what he's doing. I think this is a little unfair though since he started playing at a VERY young age and has had some extremely good instruction throughout his life.

So far in my progression I've tended to try both. I've watched most of Dr. Dave Billiards videos and they have given me an understanding of what is actually going on from a physics standpoint. I then try and see it for myself on the table and put it in my memory banks. I know about cut induced throw/spin, spin induced throw/spin, rail spin reversal, the limits of a miscue, and so on. But is it worth it to actually THINK about all that when playing? I feel like it's much better to let your subconscious do all that.

So basically at this point in my game would it be beneficial for me to look into an aiming system? I'm afraid of "cluttering" my head with things that are best left to the subconscious. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
Refine your mechanics and practice, all the rest is low return on in investment.

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think an aiming system is something used to give beginners somewhere to start, an understanding on how the spheres interact...contact point vs aiming point. If you've been playing for a while, and you're still using an aiming system I think it will just hold you back. You should be concentrating on your position play, getting on the correct angles, and recognizing patterns. Some stroke practice to develop some muscle memory is good also.

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CTE PRO ONE is a complete shooting system that is professional in every way.
Real CTE connects to table geomortry!!! Why ANYONE would not be interested in that kind of knowledge is beyond me. It is simply amazing to me that so many know zero about CTE and can say things that are light years off base.

Stan Shuffett

JC

Coos Cues
Real CTE connects to table geomortry!!! Why ANYONE would not be interested in that kind of knowledge is beyond me. It is simply amazing to me that so many know zero about CTE and can say things that are light years off base.

Stan Shuffett

Are you done with DVD 2 yet Stan? I watch the first one over and over again and am just left dry. Guess I need to make a road trip to Kentucky:).

JC

nahog99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like this approach. I don't have a terrible time aiming by any means. Consistency is probably my biggest problem along with certain shots. That is probably true for everyone. I'm just going to keep keepin on and try and buy my own table. I think that would help me more than anything really.

I forgot to quote you, I was responding to tim913

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you done with DVD 2 yet Stan? I watch the first one over and over again and am just left dry. Guess I need to make a road trip to Kentucky:).

JC

DVD2 has been out since December.
DVD2 Info is on justcueit.com.

Stan Shuffett

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
To improve as rapidly as possible it's important to understand the order of events

I would suggest working on your fundamentals until you are sure you can hit the cue ball straight and accurate. No matter how well you "aim," if you don't hit the cue ball where you intend it won't matter. It's like shooting a gun with the barrel crooked or the sights off......the end result is the "bullet" (cue ball) will go astray.

The stroke and fundamentals start at the feet (the foundation), then the hips, through the upper body angles of the shoulders/arms/wrists and then through the connection of the hand/cue.

To improve as rapidly as possible it's important to understand the order of events that create a sound game. I show this is detail in my 'Ultimate Pool Secrets' that's available for a couple of dollars (PPV) at www.cjwiley.com

This video also contains my 'Ultimate Aiming System' which shows how to make any shot by connecting a portion of the cue ball to either the Center, or Edge of the object ball.

Play Well, 'The Game is the Teacher'

I like this approach. I don't have a terrible time aiming by any means. Consistency is probably my biggest problem along with certain shots. That is probably true for everyone. I'm just going to keep keepin on and try and buy my own table. I think that would help me more than anything really.

I forgot to quote you, I was responding to tim913

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aiming systems can be beneficial, but aiming systems can't teach experience.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want consistency then you should use an aiming system. Pro-One has made most shots all look the same.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member

Stan Shuffett

Feeling a bit insecure are we? No one mentioned CTE, the topic is about aiming systems in general.....you need to get off your high horse along with CJ.

Never miss a chance for a sale, either of you too.

The question is what to practice.

As Ive written before if you can not understand why you miss, you will not get consistent.

If your aiming system gives you no means to understand why you missed, you need another system.

If you think you can use one type of spin on every shot, you need to listen to someone else, cause nothing is further from the truth.

You have to know why you missed. Do you have a issue if a certain shooting position, using a certain type of stroke, using certain type of spin, too much speed, not enough speed, and so on.

Keep a list of why you miss for x amount of time. Tally up the score and then practice on the reason you missed the most, then move on.

If you are practicing and miss a shot, stop and repeat that shot until you own it. You may miss it for one reason one time and for another at another.

You have to be aware of your weaknesses. This is the only you you can work on them. In the beginning, you will have more weaknesses than strengths. The goal in practice is to shortened the weakness list.

There is no magic aiming system, no magic stroking style, no magic multi part pocket system. It is knowing yourself, knowing how you learn, knowing how to find what works for you that will get you over this hump.

The short is that at some point the only reason you missed is between your ears.

Kel_82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watch Corey Deuel and John Shmidts TAR podcast interview they did together before playing. They will let you know about their aiming systems. Then watch Deuel as he carelessly hits balls around the table practicing.

It will be a worthwhile watch. They talk about LD hype, aiming system hype etc....

Gerry Williams

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe Stan's comment was in response to the post that aiming systems are of no use. Nobody mentioned CTE - he was merely offering a different opinion.

I don't know how you can challenge either system - both work well and neither CJ or Stan are trying to sell a dream here. I can only speak for CTE/Pro One and state without any doubt that it has improved my game.

Cheers,
Gerry

Feeling a bit insecure are we? No one mentioned CTE, the topic is about aiming systems in general.....you need to get off your high horse along with CJ.

Never miss a chance for a sale, either of you too.

The question is what to practice.

As Ive written before if you can not understand why you miss, you will not get consistent.

If your aiming system gives you no means to understand why you missed, you need another system.

If you think you can use one type of spin on every shot, you need to listen to someone else, cause nothing is further from the truth.

You have to know why you missed. Do you have a issue if a certain shooting position, using a certain type of stroke, using certain type of spin, too much speed, not enough speed, and so on.

Keep a list of why you miss for x amount of time. Tally up the score and then practice on the reason you missed the most, then move on.

If you are practicing and miss a shot, stop and repeat that shot until you own it. You may miss it for one reason one time and for another at another.

You have to be aware of your weaknesses. This is the only you you can work on them. In the beginning, you will have more weaknesses than strengths. The goal in practice is to shortened the weakness list.

There is no magic aiming system, no magic stroking style, no magic multi part pocket system. It is knowing yourself, knowing how you learn, knowing how to find what works for you that will get you over this hump.

The short is that at some point the only reason you missed is between your ears.

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I currently aim by feel but can't discount aiming systems until I try one. Bought CTE PRO ONE but was lost. Some can figure it out while others have issues. One of the best things that helped me maybe take a step forward was watching other players. Seeing that one or two shots that I wasn't sure I could do. When I had time to myself I would set those shots up and try and try and try until I figured them out. I am constantly trying to learn new things. I don't have time for practice like I would like. So everyone says to watch the great players and I agree if you take something away from it. Like a new shot or stroke. The keys is to add something to your game that you couldn't do before.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Watch Corey Deuel and John Shmidts TAR podcast interview they did together before playing. They will let you know about their aiming systems. Then watch Deuel as he carelessly hits balls around the table practicing.

It will be a worthwhile watch. They talk about LD hype, aiming system hype etc....

Last I saw, Corey was using OB shafts. Why...if they're hype???

Maniac

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The phrase visual sweep came from Corey Deuel.
I'd say John and Corey are both using CTE but they just have not bothered to unravel what they are doing.
CTE is ALL about what the pros are doing and for the most part they can not explain it.

For some reason many want CTE to go away. It is not going anywhere! Knowledgeable CTE players are on the increase and will be for a ton of years to come.

Stan Shuffett

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Corey has my invitation for free training and an opportunity to report to all any hype he likes but I am NOT worried about any negatives should he make the trip.
In fact, after CTE user Phil Burford beat Corey 11-1 at the Open, Corey was interested and told me so.

Stan Shuffett