Imminent worldwide availability: video of John's record-breaking 626 w/ player review

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Latest update regarding John's impending worldwide availability of his 626 video:

I messaged John yesterday (Sept. 30) expressing that "I greatly look forward to the eventual 626 video release and hope you do include voiceover commentary throughout. Like most other 14.1 players and fans who own and benefit from all your previous DVDs, I quickly concluded early-on that you're a natural-born teacher."

I really appreciated John's very prompt reply:

--------------------------------------------------------------

"I'm currently working on matching up the voiceover I did with the video, and I'm in negotiation with a pay-per-view option. I'm thinking in October. Take care pal."

---------------------------------------------------------------

Arnaldo

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Latest update regarding John's impending worldwide availability of his 626 video:

I messaged John yesterday (Sept. 30) expressing that "I greatly look forward to the eventual 626 video release and hope you do include voiceover commentary throughout. Like most other 14.1 players and fans who own and benefit from all your previous DVDs, I quickly concluded early-on that you're a natural-born teacher."

I really appreciated John's very prompt reply:

--------------------------------------------------------------

"I'm currently working on matching up the voiceover I did with the video, and I'm in negotiation with a pay-per-view option. I'm thinking in October. Take care pal."

---------------------------------------------------------------

Arnaldo
I am excited to see it, think he missed an opportunity taking so long to get it out though.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To those of us that follow these threads and news of John’s 626 (and I’ll wager most 14.1 players on AZB) have zero issue with the fact that the “video” comes out well after the fact. We all know it makes zero difference and takes nothing away from the feat.

Just for fun.....May I suggest that all of those that have issues with it, use their imagination and simply pretend it happened yesterday - or is happening LIVE - when they view it. The same imagination at play telling you how well you think you play compared to the real speed and way you play

I for one am looking forward to watching John at play and his amazing 626.

~ K

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To those of us that follow these threads and news of John’s 626 (and I’ll wager most 14.1 players on AZB) have zero issue with the fact that the “video” comes out well after the fact. We all know it makes zero difference and takes nothing away from the feat.

Just for fun.....May I suggest that all of those that have issues with it, use their imagination and simply pretend it happened yesterday - or is happening LIVE - when they view it. The same imagination at play telling you how well you think you play compared to the real speed and way you play

~ K

I still want to see it, as would most 14.1 players on here, now what about the people who read about him in the NY times who would have possibly liked or had an interest in watching then. Missed opportunity for John(and the pool world) to capitalize on his stellar feat in my humble opinion. But yea, I am still looking forward very much to the release.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member

~ K

I’ve just been watching the 434 and then having someone rewind almost halfway while I’m not paying attention. So I’ve basically already seen it. It’s niiice

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hear that, Jazzy, and don’t disagree.....but something about knowing he’s stringing together that 626 all at one go without a miss or gaffe like most of do early on in to rack 2, 3 or 4, like most of do, isn’t the same as seeing him run 6.26 racks of 100 back-to-back Watching the nuances as the numbers increase will be worth the wait I’m sure.

I think Lou will even agree to that

~ K.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
. . . Watching the nuances as the numbers increase will be worth the wait I’m sure.
And not least for me personally will be listening to his always-instructive voiceover-ed narration, describing his rack-by-rack pattern navigation decisions, and with each viewer able to infer from the narration (and his visible facial expressions at the table) his controlled, but mounting excitement as the 526 threshold nears -- and is uncannily surpassed!

Then with the weight of the former record's 65-plus years of resistance lifted from his arm and mind, John and the viewer will certainly be enjoying his reportedly literal cruise thru 100 additional shots -- and setting the astonishing 626 new world record!

Can't wait either.

Arnaldo

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The sad part is , with pool players ,for each person who actually buys the Pay Per View, 1000 people will watch it for free.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hear that, Jazzy, and don’t disagree.....but something about knowing he’s stringing together that 626 all at one go without a miss or gaffe like most of do early on in to rack 2, 3 or 4, like most of do, isn’t the same as seeing him run 6.26 racks of 100 back-to-back Watching the nuances as the numbers increase will be worth the wait I’m sure.

I think Lou will even agree to that

~ K.

I think my perspective is slightly different.

I'm interested in seeing what patterns he uses. He's good at running a lot of balls so I expect that he has learned what patterns make a longer run most probable. I'd like to see those patterns. So actually I'm thinking after a couple of hundred balls that will have revealed itself. The "drama" of the run is not a thing for me.

Personally, I think PPV is a mistake in this instance. Maybe he's doing it to maximize profit by eliminating reproduction and distribution costs but whatever. I hope he does well with it.

Lou Figueroa

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Personally, I think PPV is a mistake in this instance. Maybe he's doing it to maximize profit by eliminating reproduction and distribution costs ...
Vimeo allows you to "buy" the video for a one-time charge and stream it to whatever device at any time, I believe. You can watch it on your big-screen at home or show clips to your buddies at the pool hall on your smarty-phone.

I hope that's the kind of service they go with. No distribution bother.

It now costs about $1 to get a DVD made with clamshell case and artwork on case and hub in the US. The real cost is time for packing/shipping. I suppose you could use Amazon fulfillment (for a percentage).

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Maybe he's doing it to maximize profit by eliminating reproduction and distribution costs but whatever.

I think the arguably odd decisions and the delay in the release of the video are all attributable to John's understandable desire to earn money from this feat that is even a little bit proportional to its significance and the work that went into it.

The problem with that is that any amount of money that would fit that description is simply a lot more than the actual market will support. So he's trying any angle he can figure out to achieve the impossible, earnings-wise, and it's a shame because I think he deserves a lot more than I think he's actually gonna end up with.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think my perspective is slightly different.

I'm interested in seeing what patterns he uses. He's good at running a lot of balls so I expect that he has learned what patterns make a longer run most probable. I'd like to see those patterns. So actually I'm thinking after a couple of hundred balls that will have revealed itself. The "drama" of the run is not a thing for me.

Personally, I think PPV is a mistake in this instance. Maybe he's doing it to maximize profit by eliminating reproduction and distribution costs but whatever. I hope he does well with it.

Lou Figueroa

I sat and watched John attempt at the record a couple of different days while he was here in the valley (Phx). I'm no master of 14.1 (high run is only 49) and I've not played it a lot.... but I watched him run 100's many times, 200's, a 300, and I think the back half of a 400 (or the whole thing, I really can't keep it straight) and I rarely could see HIS pattern coming .. maybe because he has a pretty good rhythm when he plays and it's hard to keep up, let alone get ahead of him. It might be much more productive to see it on video.

What I did see was..... he almost NEVER misses his break ball!!!! And has a shot afterward! I was astounded, to say the least... and I have seen some pool in my life.

td

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the arguably odd decisions and the delay in the release of the video are all attributable to John's understandable desire to earn money from this feat that is even a little bit proportional to its significance and the work that went into it.

The problem with that is that any amount of money that would fit that description is simply a lot more than the actual market will support. So he's trying any angle he can figure out to achieve the impossible, earnings-wise, and it's a shame because I think he deserves a lot more than I think he's actually gonna end up with.
Andrew's commendable post correctly identifies a frequently unsolvable issue that has arisen throughout history for individuals who create an artwork, a performance, or an intellectual achievement of such significance that it becomes a milestone in the history of their field. The issue of: after the significant feat is accomplished, what rewards are available, proportionate and are realistically expectable? The personal psychic rewards are generally abundant, but tangible, conceivably appropriate ones -- not always.

That said, fame and a financially rewarding career can often result for any of the above kinds of unique and always inspiring individuals. I would think that in John's case, interaction and consultation with astute and hugely savvy billiards-marketing execs like those at Predator, Accu-Stats, Allen Hopkins, etc. and numerous others in our billiards world with similarly-proven creativity and success, will result in substantial long-term earnings for John if he wisely chooses to seek out, and selectively benefit from, such expert advice. Especially given the historically-unique cornucopia of today's media opportunities.

Lastly, I'm certain he's aware (possibly not fully) that a solid legal adviser should review the fine print for him in any rights/endorsements/appearances/backstory agreements presented to him -- agreements/contracts based on what he has achieved thru his remarkable persistence on his mission.

Just an oldtimer's opinion(s) motivated by total admiration of his accomplishment.

Arnaldo

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think the only way he really could make money on it would have been with a bounty/prize posted upfront for breaking the record.

And even then no one was going to put up really huge money. It is what it is.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I sat and watched John attempt at the record a couple of different days while he was here in the valley (Phx). I'm no master of 14.1 (high run is only 49) and I've not played it a lot.... but I watched him run 100's many times, 200's, a 300, and I think the back half of a 400 (or the whole thing, I really can't keep it straight) and I rarely could see HIS pattern coming .. maybe because he has a pretty good rhythm when he plays and it's hard to keep up, let alone get ahead of him. It might be much more productive to see it on video.

What I did see was..... he almost NEVER misses his break ball!!!! And has a shot afterward! I was astounded, to say the least... and I have seen some pool in my life.

td

I have one of JS earlier DVDs where he runs like 400.

And there are some patterns he repeats over and over. I still use a couple of them nowadays. I'm interested in seeing what, if anything, is new.

Lou Figueroa