Rasson vs Diamond

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Feel free to take this conversation anywhere but...

Watching professional matches I’m curious if Rasson tables are bouncier for jump shots. I feel like I’ve seen more cueballs on the floor with events using Rasson vs. Diamond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard a couple people that work on and sale all brands of tables say they think the Rasson table is inferior in design. I'm not a table mechanic so, I'll take their word. I'm sure a table mechanic will chime in and correct that and maybe say why if it was incorrect.

As far as the way they play? Well, I've played on one and it definitely played easier. It accepted balls that a diamond will not. I hit a good bit up rail and the ob would still fall. To make it worse, the table had very worn cloth and non polished balls.

As far as the pockets accepting balls, it reminded me of a GC with 5" pockets and new felt. I didn't care for it.

Then again, 14.1 was a little easier on it compared to a diamond.

I wonder if they're like that across the board?

Jeff

BTW, I don't remember shooting a jump shot on it.

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I have been talking with "kevina" from Rasson for about 4 years. They were clueless to the fact that Diamond used Artemis Intercontinental 66 Cushions, I was the one who told them that. They said, "are you sure", "we know the company that produces the black diamond k-55 cushions".....They were clueless about the fact that those cushions only go on 7' & 8' and older red labels.

The hard part for me is that I have never physically seen one or played on one.
I like what I see design wise, but, I also heard bad things about the way they play. They recently switched the cushions to Kleber P59( k-55 billiard cushion), which was better than the Artemis Pool 66( k66 profile) but, what about all of the tables already here in warehouses that have the Artemis Pool 66 cushions?? I wont name the person, but, when I asked that question to someone at Imperial, they said, "can't we just change the cushions?" I think most of us know that work has to be done to make that happen...

Trent from Toledo:thumbup:

P>S> I UPDATED THIS POST BECAUSE OF THE RELEASE OF THE RASSON OX TABLE> THEY HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD WITH THIS ONE!!!!

I've heard a couple people that work on and sale all brands of tables say they think the Rasson table is inferior in design. I'm not a table mechanic so, I'll take their word. I'm sure a table mechanic will chime in and correct that and maybe say why if it was incorrect.

As far as the way they play? Well, I've played on one and it definitely played easier. It accepted balls that a diamond will not. I hit a good bit up rail and the ob would still fall. To make it worse, the table had very worn cloth and non polished balls.

As far as the pockets accepting balls, it reminded me of a GC with 5" pockets and new felt. I didn't care for it.

Then again, 14.1 was a little easier on it compared to a diamond.

I wonder if they're like that across the board?

Jeff

BTW, I don't remember shooting a jump shot on it.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree 100%. Nothing against Asian factories but if i'm buying a new table the $$ is going to Indiana(Diamond) and not China. I've never hit a ball(or even seen) on a Rasson. I know those who have and they weren't all that impressed.

BryanB

Huge Balls
Silver Member
Didn't SVB just get a Rasson installed in his house? I can't imagine they could be that bad and he would still want one...unless they gave him a sweet deal

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Didn't SVB just get a Rasson installed in his house? I can't imagine they could be that bad and he would still want one...unless they gave him a sweet deal

You mean they GAVE it to him. I can see why: He wants to be able to practice on it for the Matchroom Events, makes total sense because it must not play like a Diamond :)

Trent:thumbup:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He also got a free Chinese 8ball table to practice on. SVB doesn't buy ANYTHING he plays with/on. All freebies.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I have been talking with "kevina" from Rasson for about 4 years. They were clueless to the fact that Diamond used Artemis Intercontinental 66 Cushions, I was the one who told them that. They said, "are you sure", "we know the company that produces the black diamond k-55 cushions".....They were clueless about the fact that those cushions only go on 7' & 8' and older red labels.

The hard part for me is that I have never physically seen one or played on one. I have an Imperial account( they dist. Rasson) and once I saw the wholesale price I was no longer interested. They are quite a bit more than Diamond and have ZERO market share in the USA... Not sure how that works, but, I do not see them having much success here.
I like what I see design wise, but, I also heard bad things about the way they play. They recently switched the cushions to Kleber P59( k-55 billiard cushion), which was better than the Artemis Pool 66( k66 profile) but, what about all of the tables already here in warehouses that have the Artemis Pool 66 cushions?? I wont name the person, but, when I asked that question to someone at Imperial, they said, "can't we just change the cushions?" I think most of us know that work has to be done to make that happen....

The future of Rasson does not look very bright in the USA. They bought their way into the MatchRoom Events, I don't think even that will make success for them here in the USA. Diamond is the most popular table in our market and is made here to.

Just my $0.02...

Trent from Toledo:thumbup:

Arent the Artemis Intercontinental cushions opposite profiles of standard K55's and K66's?? Intercontinental K66 = standard K55 and Intercontinental K55= standard K66?? I have one of those Artemis cushions on my GCI, I always forget which one but I kinda wish I went with Superspeeds when I had my sub-rails re-profiled, at least from what I hear here.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Arent the Artemis Intercontinental cushions opposite profiles of standard K55's and K66's?? Intercontinental K66 = standard K55 and Intercontinental K55= standard K66?? I have one of those Artemis cushions on my GCI, I always forget which one but I kinda wish I went with Superspeeds when I had my sub-rails re-profiled, at least from what I hear here.

The 2 Artemis in question are: Artemis Intercontinental 66( K-55) and Artemis Pool 66( K-66) . :)

Trent

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I went from Superspeeds to Artimis Intercontinental 66 on my GCII, and never looked back.

Cushions like anything else in pool is all what you prefer. IMHO.

The 2 Artemis in question are: Artemis Intercontinental 66( K-55) and Artemis Pool 66( K-66) . :)

Trent

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Trent

What genius did they have in their engineering dept. that decided they were going to use a K66 profile for their commercial table?

But, they have switched to K55.
https://www.rasson.cn/challanger

I remember the Mosconi Cup where balls were going in even if you touched the third dot from the corners.:grin:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What genius did they have in their engineering dept. that decided they were going to use a K66 profile for their commercial table?

I remember the Mosconi Cup where balls were going in even if you touched the third dot from the corners.:grin:

^^^^^^^^^^^^ x 10000000

Everyone is a beast on a Rasson table. At least the table I played on, it was that way. The table played extremely easy. I felt like, no, wait a second, I actually did run out almost every time I got an open shot...

That Rasson would make a GREAT coin-op table. The average league player would feel like a beast on it. The table owner wouldn't be able to empty the coin tray fast enough.

Lol

Jeff

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have a valley I tightened the pockets up to play a little tougher but not crazy and I remember the same thing the first year they used them for the mosconi lol I saw a lot of balls go that wouldn’t go on my valley. I don’t want the table to be quadruple shimmed but damn...

JoshStodola

My stroke is garbage
Silver Member
xaE1QU1PYAZLLJyFbUyC0iL9qXDHzR7OjpqbE5Al3YoMXjXwh_8e-vjiaXEAsOJKlLPk-lckIapy8vDEDqqC=w2560-h1301-rw
Is this better Trent?!

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
The Rasson Ox table came out about 3 weeks after we all had this conversation and was unveiled at the Mosconi Cup. I have to say I was very surprised to see all the changes: new cushions and deeper pocket shelves. The table appeared to play very well. I watched all 4 days from start to finish.

I had a chance to play on an 8' Ox at BackWoods Billiards in Okeechobee FLA last month. I spent quite a bit of time inspecting it and talking with the owner of the room about it. We played on it for a couple of hours and I feel it is a very well designed & well built table. It plays kick ass. The Klematch P-59 cushions are very responsive and bank VERY true. I had not decided totally whether I was going to sell the Rasson brand until this point. I still have not assembled one yet and once I do, that will make my opinion complete. I know the frame is a bit complicated to put together, just requires time and patience just like assembling a GC6 or Diamond.

I will report back once I have sold one and installed it. Thanks!

TFT

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Thank you Trent! Looking forward to the review of the aforementioned $7k chinese table!

The GC6 is a $10,000.00 table and manufactured by Yalin in China and IMO is the finest pool table made. Only thing I wish they would do is change the slate shelf depth like Rasson did. Brunswick, Diamond and Rasson ALL make excellent products.

The Rasson Ox 9' MSRP's for $6180.00. Obivously plus tax, delivery and install.

I will surely update ASAP.

TFT

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The GC6 is a $10,000.00 table and manufactured by Yalin in China and IMO is the finest pool table made. Only thing I wish they would do is change the slate shelf depth like Rasson did. Brunswick, Diamond and Rasson ALL make excellent products.

The Rasson Ox 9' MSRP's for $6180.00. Obivously plus tax, delivery and install.

I will surely update ASAP.

TFT

Hi Trent. A week ago or so I went to a Brunswick dealer and looked at their GC6. I was surprised it looked better in person than in pics but that’s where the pluses ended.

The metal corner pocket casting/plates or what ever they are called stuck up some what. One of them felt so sharp I thought I could cut myself on it. I wouldn’t let my cue come within 10 feet of that thing. And of course it has rubber pocket trim which I’m not sure is better or worse than Diamonds leather. I know Diamonds leather leaves black marks and my friends table, the leather is torn from someone shooting balls in at warp speed.

Tough choice $10,000 GC6, $7000 blue label Diamond. For another $500 I can get 4 1/8 pockets on the Diamond.