Another Pool Hall Closing (Stixx Rancho Cucamonga)

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if we'd prioritized our virus response, shut down sooner, and in a unified way
most certainly we'd have seen better results, health-wise, and economically
indecision, misinformation, and flat-out negligence got us here
but the past is the past..and yet if we continue to act divided
the past will be our future, too

r.i.p. stixx..sorry to hear another 'hall pass

Trump was called a xenophobe by the left when he stopped all flights from China. If the left had been in charge, it would have been far worse.

Beyond that, it’s not the President’s job, nor his place to dictate to the individual states. Doing so would be completely inappropriate and outside of his authority.

Nope, Stixx is on Newsom

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Beyond that, it’s not the President’s job, nor his place to dictate to the individual states. Doing so would be completely inappropriate and outside of his authority.

Corona isn't Trump's fault.
Ebola wasn't Obama's fault.
Sars wasn't Bush's fault.

And, only a handful of cases of Herpes, was Clinton's fault :thumbup:

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know Alex well. He tried hard to have a nice place with decent equipment as most pool room owners do. I don't pretend to know the landlord but these centers want their rent. Often times it's a manager who calls the shots and wants to protect their job with the corporate owners of the center. Regardless, Alex is gone and another west coast room no longer exists.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
There's also another side to this Coin.
With sooooooo many closings and so many large bldgs vacant, it's very possible for someone to come in/somwhere/anywhere/maybe not here but in another state, pay the rent that works and have the ventilation system rebooted to accommodate the virus. It would possibly allow them to purchase 1/2 the number of tables needed going in with twice the space and keeps costs realistic.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The stimulus package has more pork than cheap hot dogs.
First, I don't have a problem with pork in hot dogs. :p I do like the occasional calabrese, or as we call it around here, a "cal".

CropperCapture[121].jpg

It's interesting to divide the total stimulus by the number of people in the US to figure out each person's share. 3 trillion total divided by about 360 million people ends up at $8,000 for each person. Then you can start to wonder where your share, and your spouse's share, and your children's shares went. Did each person in your household get their $8,000?

If the little people don't seem to have gotten the money and small businesses don't seem to have gotten the money, where did the money go? I got zero, so you should bump your own share a little -- no need to thank me.

As for the landlords.... Here in California we have given the landlords and the big banks that own property a very special break. Annual property tax for them is about 0.2% of market value. Typical first-time home buyers get to pay about 1.5%. I have no sympathy for banks or landlords.

Bob <-- who's getting a calabrese long before any stimulus check and who just got his 1.5% property tax bill

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
There's also another side to this Coin.
With sooooooo many closings and so many large bldgs vacant, it's very possible for someone to come in/somwhere/anywhere/maybe not here but in another state, pay the rent that works and have the ventilation system rebooted to accommodate the virus. It would possibly allow them to purchase 1/2 the number of tables needed going in with twice the space and keeps costs realistic.

Having actually had the coming sense to leave California, retire in a place that is business, retiree, and just friendlier then the People's Repulbic of California.

I would not want to have a business in the PRC, I did have a business up to the start of 1996. The rules, regulations, taxes, and other bs the PRC put on small business made it just AWEFUL to do business in the state.

I at one time did some work for the State of California on a contract basis. Did work for some of the associations & groups that were heavy into lobbying in Sacramento.

It was a lot of book keeping, aggravation, form to fill out, and records to keep. My advise is not to even consider opening a Kids Lemonade Stand anywhere in California. As you will be harassed by local government, county government, and last state government for non sense.

Happiness is seeing a Welcome to California sign in you rear view mirror as you cross out of California in to Neveda, Oregon, Arizona, or a State that touches a common border with California.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
oregon has the same mindset as california. as many have moved there to get away from all the crap and then they change a place to resemble what they left.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
oregon has the same mindset as california. as many have moved there to get away from all the crap and then they change a place to resemble what they left.

Good point. So something is a miss. Wondering what that might be.

Look we are all doomed. Sorry but we don’t like each other. People just don’t like people. Plain and simple.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alex's situation is sad. He ran a clean, honest operation. He is a victim of greed, which can't be legislated, and a pandemic that has screwed up many businesses and families. When this happened everything should have been put on hold and monies owed on all levels should have been placed on the back end. Pandemic over then small business' can reopen and not be buried and we have a chance to deal with our new normal. The way we have handled this has made it so that the top few percent have flourished as usual. at rates that are insane. This happens when people like Alex are having to pay the price when they did things right only to suffer in the end.

California like all places leaves many things to be desired. I was born here and ran a profitable business for many years. I once had a client file bankruptcy on me while the State owed them over1.5 million dollars for construction work done at several State Universities. There were also other factors involved. I have never had the desire to move to a desert when I have unlimited access to the Pacific Ocean. But that is just my choice. I was lucky to have never had to deal with what we are currently going through.

Good luck to Alex and all others who worked hard made correct decisions only to be struck down by something few if any foresaw.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My advice.. get the hell out of California and think long and hard before owning a pool hall.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alex's situation is sad. He ran a clean, honest operation. He is a victim of greed, which can't be legislated, and a pandemic that has screwed up many businesses and families. When this happened everything should have been put on hold and monies owed on all levels should have been placed on the back end. Pandemic over then small business' can reopen and not be buried and we have a chance to deal with our new normal. The way we have handled this has made it so that the top few percent have flourished as usual. at rates that are insane. This happens when people like Alex are having to pay the price when they did things right only to suffer in the end.

California like all places leaves many things to be desired. I was born here and ran a profitable business for many years. I once had a client file bankruptcy on me while the State owed them over1.5 million dollars for construction work done at several State Universities. There were also other factors involved. I have never had the desire to move to a desert when I have unlimited access to the Pacific Ocean. But that is just my choice. I was lucky to have never had to deal with what we are currently going through.

Good luck to Alex and all others who worked hard made correct decisions only to be struck down by something few if any foresaw.
Why is he a victim of greed?? I'm sure the owner of the building/center he's in has bills and obligations as well. Few if any landlords can afford to float someone rent for any considerable time. Bad situation no doubt.

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No negotiations after years of top dollar rent on time. I know oommercial owners od property in upscale beach communities who have worked with tenants during unforeseen circumstances--fires, flooding as well as earthquakes. In one instance it was an Ace Hardware into its third generation who was hit with a riciculous rent increase that was just not feasible. Another landlord who owned several blocks in the same community stooed up and worked out a rental agreement that even allowed time for the physical move--without charge. JoeyInCali knows more of the details. Stixx was shut down by the Governor for good cause--"Pandemic." There are many reasons why greed night be a relevant word. Over leveraging as well as many more. Only time will tell if the landlord made the right decision. I don't know of many businesses that need the configuration and square footage that is soon to be available during this "Pandemic."

Greed may not be the besr word but my 2ns hand knowledge certainly pushes me that way. I also readily admit that I have not net or talked with the landlord and we all know that there are two sides to every story. In the meantime I am not uncomfortable with the word I used -"Greed."

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool just doesn't have any clout with the city or county they do business in. Landlords really don't want Pool Halls being renters but will often rent their spaces out because they can't fill their spots with other businesses. So, mostly a Pool Hall is starting out with two strikes against it anyway. If a landlord thinks the hall is hurting his/her center, they'll find any reason to get them out. I suspect this may be a factor in Alex losing his lease.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool just doesn't have any clout with the city or county they do business in. Landlords really don't want Pool Halls being renters but will often rent their spaces out because they can't fill their spots with other businesses. So, mostly a Pool Hall is starting out with two strikes against it anyway. If a landlord thinks the hall is hurting his/her center, they'll find any reason to get them out. I suspect this may be a factor in Alex losing his lease.

Not everywhere. Pool halls in my city tend to be bright and clean. None of the cliche sleazy image of cliche movies. Half the members of our leagues drink Soda pop instead of alcohol. Out front are parked Toyota Corollas and folks are dropping by after working coming from tthe office.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
if your room has a bad image with the landlord or authorities a good business person can fix that.
a bad one lets it go on. almost all small businesses that close because they went broke were because the owner was not a good business person.

years back the owner was there working in stand alone pool rooms.

now its seems most just have a low paid person behind the desk handing out balls and getting drinks and microwaved packaged food.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not everywhere. Pool halls in my city tend to be bright and clean. None of the cliche sleazy image of cliche movies. Half the members of our leagues drink Soda pop instead of alcohol. Out front are parked Toyota Corollas and folks are dropping by after working coming from tthe office.

hey geo, you're in canada?
I wonder if that's more of a national trend
I've been to a few spots in vancouver and they were quite nice