Decelerating

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Uhhhhhhhh……..Back to the original post folks, k?

What makes me want to decelerate?

I have one answer, that being from Sparkle84. That answer is that I might not be committed to the shot as I pull the trigger.

r/DCP

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
....and you are not committed to the shot because you have not chosen a target area for the CB.

I have one answer, that being from Sparkle84. That answer is that I might not be committed to the shot as I pull the trigger.

r/DCP

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

r/DCP

I don't know, an unhappy childhood?
There are a myriad of stroke problems. Some are mechanical and others may be psychological in nature. I can't recall ever seeing a player who pulls their stroke a large % of the time. I'm sure they exist but I'd guess they're rather uncommon.
What a lot of players more often have is that herky, jerky quick back and forth on the final stroke and usually hit the ball way too hard. I'd guess that, and decelerating, while kind of opposites, might be related and neither is necessarily due to a mechanical problem.
However, those problems could maybe be alleviated some by super strong fundamentals.
But then again, I know one guy who's a strong A player and has excellent fundamentals yet he pulls his stroke way more often than you'd expect him to. I've noted that it's always pressure related so I guess (at least in his case) that lends credence to the theory that the problem may have psychological underpinnings.
I am pretty sure (that with you) it's a confidence or uncertainty thing but how to correct it is the question. This is far from my area of expertise so others need to chime in on this. Video may help but I don't know as you want to subject yourself to that. It can get brutal sometimes.
Thanks to Fran and Bob for a more thorough explanation of the inside/outside, natural/reverse situation. I didn't have time to do so at the time I posted.

Edit: Was typing ( I'm painfully slow) and didn't see Tonys post. He could have something there Dr Cue.

Last edited:

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member

r/DCP

Repeating/restating: You are likely IMHO not optimizing your pre-forward stroke process to set yourself up for smooth acceleration, unforced.

A full, unhurried, smooth backswing to the fingers on the final stroke sets up a good transition to a smooth forward stroke that accelerates--this is key--without needing to muscle conscious leverage/jab through the stroke.

If instead you have an 11-inch bridge and take a 5-inch backstroke, changing direction gets mussed in many cases and you have to feel your way through the forward stroke.

Of course, the OP shot isn't an 11-inch bridge shot. Experiment.

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Repeating/restating: You are likely IMHO not optimizing your pre-forward stroke process to set yourself up for smooth acceleration, unforced.

A full, unhurried, smooth backswing to the fingers on the final stroke sets up a good transition to a smooth forward stroke that accelerates--this is key--without needing to muscle conscious leverage/jab through the stroke.

If instead you have an 11-inch bridge and take a 5-inch backstroke, changing direction gets mussed in many cases and you have to feel your way through the forward stroke.

Of course, the OP shot isn't an 11-inch bridge shot. Experiment.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=478553

Everyone may want to check this out. I happened to run across this in the Aiming Forum. I've long recommended that if people want to see what a great stroke looks like then observe Alex, Dennis and also Mike Dechaine.
It's completely opposite the above advice but seeing as these are 3 of the best players in the world, I'm more inclined to try and copy them.
Now I'm aware About is saying that "amateurs" may fare better doing it his way because they don't have the control that the pros do.
Well, consider that they started out as amateurs just as we all did. They didn't start out with that control and I'm pretty sure they didn't approach things with the thought that because they're amateurs they shouldn't try and do something a pro might do because, after all, they're just amateurs and aren't capable of that advanced stuff.
That's ridiculous. It's the same as the people who you'll hear say "I knew I should have done that but I didn't feel comfortable and was afraid I'd miss so I did this instead and now have no shot or no position and immediately thereafter sit helplessly watching their opponent win the game or match.
Players with that attitude reach a certain level and are still there 15 yrs. later.
Amateurs stay in their comfort zone, future pros are constantly expanding theirs. Just saying.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=478553

Everyone may want to check this out. I happened to run across this in the Aiming Forum. I've long recommended that if people want to see what a great stroke looks like then observe Alex, Dennis and also Mike Dechaine.
It's completely opposite the above advice but seeing as these are 3 of the best players in the world, I'm more inclined to try and copy them.
Now I'm aware About is saying that "amateurs" may fare better doing it his way because they don't have the control that the pros do.
Well, consider that they started out as amateurs just as we all did. They didn't start out with that control and I'm pretty sure they didn't approach things with the thought that because they're amateurs they shouldn't try and do something a pro might do because, after all, they're just amateurs and aren't capable of that advanced stuff.
That's ridiculous. It's the same as the people who you'll hear say "I knew I should have done that but I didn't feel comfortable and was afraid I'd miss so I did this instead and now have no shot or no position and immediately thereafter sit helplessly watching their opponent win the game or match.
Players with that attitude reach a certain level and are still there 15 yrs. later.
Amateurs stay in their comfort zone, future pros are constantly expanding theirs. Just saying.

You didn't read what I've written in this thread, including (paraphrased) "For those without a long bridge pro stroke already, this method using a short bridge works wonders."

There are Hall of Fame players who used a 7-inch bridge. I'm sure you would agree that not everyone has to do the same thing the same way to be successful in pool.

Also, I never hesitate to teach pro techniques to amateurs. Amateurs can learn how to do everything a pro can do. But methods like stroking back to the fingers with shorter bridges to begin can help with understanding/execution. I've never told a student, "You can never do X in the future because you're not already a professional."

If you do things a different way with your pool students, I'm happy to learn from the benefit of your experience.

CaptainPots

Registered
Are you afraid that if you give the ball too much speed, the inside English won't grab the rail and the cue ball won't have enough "juice" to rebound off the short rail in the desired line?

What makes me want to decelerate on the stroke on shots like this? All you had to do was maybe use a half tip of inside English to bring the CB up for position on the 6B into the corner. But I decelerated and ended up where the plain white CB is and had no shot on the 6B.

With all that room to spare, I left it a few inches short. All because I decelerated. Anybody got any tips on how to keep from decelerating on shots like this? Decelerating happens to me a lot.

r/DCP

https://pad-v1.chalkysticks.com/851fa.png

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...and the CB target area "thing" will be difficult to fix, Tony, without a natural, repeatable finish to his stroke! Once that's measured and practiced, speed control and cradle tension are the next steps...:D

You can know every "move" in the book...but if you can't 'bring it' (your stroke), on demand, under pressure, in one try; then all that knowledge of what to do, is of limited value. Good players are always working on their stroke! Amateur players think their stroke is already "good enough"! What they need is a new $1000 cue! LOL You can't buy a stroke...you have to earn it! SPF is very likely the 'quicker learning curve' methodology to an accurate, repeatable stroke, as is available anywhere.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

....and you are not committed to the shot because you have not chosen a target area for the CB.

Last edited:

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I don't know the OP, nor do I know his stroke process. What I do know is when he posted that he did not take any consideration to where he wanted CB to be for position, that tells me he has a problem even before he strokes a ball.

Wouldn't you agree?

...and the CB target area "thing" will be difficult to fix, Tony, without a natural, repeatable finish to his stroke! Once that's measured and practiced, speed control and cradle tension are the next steps...:D

You can know every "move" in the book...but if you can't 'bring it' (your stroke), on demand, under pressure, in one try; then all that knowledge of what to do, is of limited value. Good players are always working on their stroke! Amateur players think their stroke is already "good enough"! What they need is a new $1000 cue! LOL You can't buy a stroke...you have to earn it! SPF is very likely the 'quicker learning curve' methodology to an accurate, repeatable stroke, as is available anywhere.

Scott Lee

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dr. Cue.

I am not an instructor.

Original post by me deleted. I strayed away from the original OP by Dr.Cue.

I would play this shot, as mentioned earlier, with low left bring the CB to center table, unless of course I was really feeling good about bringing the CB straight back with high and just a touch of right to the center line of the table.

Sorry about that. :)

John

Last edited:

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Manny looks pretty smooth to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFSF42BPvGE&t=10s

Dr. Cue.

I am not an instructor.

Here is one the best examples of cuing I have ever seen.

It's a match between Shane and Manny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFSF42BPvGE&t=10s

Notice the difference between the way Shane uses a cue compared to Manny.

Shane is just bunting the balls around effortlessly while Manny appears to be using effort to move the cue ball around. He appears to be trying to push the cue forward, which takes quite a bit of effort and involves tension in the hand, forearm and possibly the upper arm and shoulder.

From the video it should become quite clear what Shane is doing. He is controlling the mass/weight of the cue behind his grip hand. (ie. notice the extension on his cue)

Hang in there. Takes time. :)

John

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's no confusion Mike. Tony said you need to have a target zone for the CB after every shot. That zone should be an 8-12 inch circle. If you aren't mentally and physically defining and striving for that zone, then you will always struggle.

IMO, you still have a faulty stroke process, that contributes to most of your problems. Bonus points for getting out of your house, and getting into some local competition. Keep it up! :thumbup:

Scott Lee

Yes, you misunderstood.

I consider a target a specific pin-point area. In the original post all I needed was to get the CB up past the 6B for position so I wasn't focusing on one specific smaller pin-point area.

Sorry for the confusion.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's no confusion Mike. Tony said you need to have a target zone for the CB after every shot. That zone should be an 8-12 inch circle. If you aren't mentally and physically defining and striving for that zone, then you will always struggle.

IMO, you still have a faulty stroke process, that contributes to most of your problems. Bonus points for getting out of your house, and getting into some local competition. Keep it up! :thumbup:

Scott Lee

Well, do you think you can help me? Hosing up stuff I should make (pocketing balls and missing position) still kills me.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MIke...Only if you choose to listen to me, and let me help you figure out your own personal process. Then you have to practice it the way I show you. If you're willing to do that, I believe you can overcome your problems.

Scott Lee

Well, do you think you can help me? Hosing up stuff I should make (pocketing balls and missing position) still kills me.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What makes me want to decelerate on the stroke on shots like this? All you had to do was maybe use a half tip of inside English to bring the CB up for position on the 6B into the corner. But I decelerated and ended up where the plain white CB is and had no shot on the 6B.

With all that room to spare, I left it a few inches short. All because I decelerated. Anybody got any tips on how to keep from decelerating on shots like this? Decelerating happens to me a lot.

r/DCP

https://pad-v1.chalkysticks.com/851fa.png
I have deleted my post, as not being a certified instructor, I didn't know if it was proper for me to respond to a post on this forum - sorry.

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris...Of course it's okay for you to post. Anyone can post here. The instructors will correct anything that isn't technically correct, but anyone can voice their opinion! You're a long time player, a room owner, and someone who has spent considerable time with some pro players! Post away! :thumbup:

Scott Lee

I have deleted my post, as not being a certified instructor, I didn't know if it was proper for me to respond to a post on this forum - sorry.