5 days with Schmidt

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
John spent 9 days at my house but only 5 were available for playing straight pool. The other days were used for, you guessed it, dirt bike riding.

I have been puting a lot of pressure on him to get a run of 300+ on video but it was not to be this time around. However it was quite a display of straight pool. The runs over 100 were the ones that were saved on video, everyting else was erased. They were in order of least to most:

103, 106, 112, 112, 112, 113, 120, 138,139, 141, 143, 145, 154, 155,
167, 170, 183, 210, 211, 243.

Thats 20 runs over 100 in 5 days and he had numerous runs that ended in the 70 to 85 range and he scratched on 99 on another.

It was a major pleasure for me to watch straight pool played at this level and to get first hand knowledge from the man himself while he is playing is priceless. I feel very fortunate to have John as my best friend. I took him to the airport this morning and its hard to look over at the table and not see him hitting balls.

We are not giving up on getting a run over 300 on video, hopefully it will happen on his next visit.

Bill

Bandanna Joe

Watchez Supporter
Silver Member
What really amazes me is that John can run 200 balls almost every day, & when he falls short & has a rough day, he's still in the solid 100's! :)

We are now ready to buy, "How I run 200's!" (The sequel).

Please, post some footage if you have a chance. I love watching the patterns. Thanks in advance.

Joe

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
I second that motion for "How I Run 200's" and when is the Dirt Bike video coming out ?

I Just hope that he is careful would not want to see him ruin his natural born talent!

Steve

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Reminds me when he was here on long island, when i had the pleasure of watching and playing with him everyday, well usually racking for him but you get my point!!!!!

Remember watching him running 99 and stopping because he knew that he would scratch on the upcoming breakshot. he actually did shoot the 100th but did scratch as predicted. Amazing that just one person could have that much knowledge!

Steve

mworkman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many hours?

How many hours of pool can you put on one DVD? I would think there would be a market for this. If you didn't have the commentary, wouldn't it be easy to put together? Just wondering out loud.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
mworkman said:
How many hours of pool can you put on one DVD? I would think there would be a market for this. If you didn't have the commentary, wouldn't it be easy to put together? Just wondering out loud.

As far as DVD's go, there is lot more to it than meets the eye. I have put an offer out there to help. It is entirely up to John as to what he wants to do.

ForumGhost516

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Commentary is actually quite easy to do with the right software. Marop If you want to send me the footage I will be more than happy to put it all on DVD for you to do what you want with.

I can also make as many copies as you want.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Ya know, if the US Gov't gave Schmidt some Olympic stipend....say, $100k / year...... I wonder how good he'd actually play? I mean, if he nixed the dirt bike stuff and everything else that is a waste of time to a pool player.... I wonder what he'd run then?????

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
man i ran 25 the other day and thought i was doing ok, then i jump on az i see stuff like this. makes me want to quit

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
SpiderWebComm said:
Ya know, if the US Gov't gave Schmidt some Olympic stipend....say, $100k / year...... I wonder how good he'd actually play? I mean, if he nixed the dirt bike stuff and everything else that is a waste of time to a pool player.... I wonder what he'd run then?????

I bet if you hook an IV up to him and give him a pair of comfortable shoes, he could run at least 2.5 million. JMO.

tksix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WOW! That is strong. You know it kinda aggravates me..........for John and others who are that good at this game we love so much. These guys should be making $$$$$$. I know it has been a topic for the ages, but come on...............its not like every shmo that walks into a pool hall can run off 100's like that. Anyone who has that kind of talent should be compensated for it.

Way to go John...................some day I will hit my 100!!!

Mike

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
i honestly believe its because watching in person and playing guys at that level that made it possible for me to surpas the 100 mark.

Lets get that 200's video out on the video shelves!

Steve

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
This is the very reason why Straight Pool is THE best game when it comes to determining overall skill.

Many strong amateur players can play 9 ball or 8 ball to a very high level in practice, decimating the ghost, running more racks than they can count. But they can't come close to achieving what John seems to be able to manage on a daily basis.

Twenty centuries in 5 days really puts your playing level into perspective. I think I will choose to be inspired as I have been advised.

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
Schmidt should have a raffle where the winner gets pool instruction, dirt bike rides, golf lessons... whatever the winner wants.

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was watching John practice the other day and he was playing the 1 pkt ghost and ran 59 twice. He has a high run of 68. Break then ball in hand for 5 racks only. Try it its not easy i assure you and you will appreciate that 68 ball run in short order.........

sascha

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
20 100+ runs in 5 days is crazy ! hope you upload it somewhere for us stright pool suckers :)

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
put me first on the list to buy the DVD box. (with or without comments)
20 matches, should fit on 4 dvd's.
this dvd's will double my full 14-1 collection :eek:

Just tell me where to send the money.

@ John: I don't get it, i have no way to verify if you really hardly practise playing pool, but if its true, running 20+ centuries is probably the toughest thing i heared.

I remember when Niels and his fellow dutchman where trying to beat the dutch 14-1 record, they where playing every day for a week, and I don't think any made a break above 200, and made only 1or2 centuries max / day.

If had the bankrole of fatboy this is what I would do:

I would call it = "The Mosconi Race"

Invite the 10 best straightpoolers.
Give them one table each with the same table specifications
Put a camera up in each room
Provide each room with "racking-girls". :cool:

They each get 10hours / day to play pool. They can play whenever they want (morning, at night), and they dont have the play the 10hours in one time.

They would be playing 5 days: monday-friday
zaterday: day off, time for teachteam to prepare all the video's etc.
sunday: Each player will add comments to the video of there high run.

Invent some kind of pointsystem for the runs (ex: 100+ = 2 points, 150+ = 4 points, 200+ = 7 points, 250+ = 10 points, 300+ = 15 points, etc)
The one with the most points gets ALL the fame. No more naging about, having a bad day, not being a morning player, etc.

This is the only way to know who is the best, and i think john could win this.

The dvd-box's will be devided:
Box series1: 100+ runs
Box series2: 150+ runs
etc.

Each box sold for 99$. IF they sell 200 copies thats a nice 20.000$. Enough to pay for the expenses.
Each player paying 1100$. highest run gets = 1000$, highes score= 6000$, 2d = 3000$, third = 1000$ + free full set dvd boxes for each player :D

Ah well , dreams....

Sorry for the OT. But i really hope you get this DVD's out for the public, and i hope more players like john will do the same thing...

md5key

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder how hard it would be to start some sort of "fund" that people could contribute to for anyone breaking the record? Basically we all put in $1, $5, $10 and whoever beats the record with proof of the accomplishment gets all of the money.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Marop said:
John spent 9 days at my house but only 5 were available for playing straight pool. The other days were used for, you guessed it, dirt bike riding.

I have been puting a lot of pressure on him to get a run of 300+ on video but it was not to be this time around. However it was quite a display of straight pool. The runs over 100 were the ones that were saved on video, everyting else was erased. They were in order of least to most:

103, 106, 112, 112, 112, 113, 120, 138,139, 141, 143, 145, 154, 155,
167, 170, 183, 210, 211, 243.

Thats 20 runs over 100 in 5 days and he had numerous runs that ended in the 70 to 85 range and he scratched on 99 on another.

It was a major pleasure for me to watch straight pool played at this level and to get first hand knowledge from the man himself while he is playing is priceless. I feel very fortunate to have John as my best friend. I took him to the airport this morning and its hard to look over at the table and not see him hitting balls.

We are not giving up on getting a run over 300 on video, hopefully it will happen on his next visit.

Bill

Outstanding runs by John. We've come to expect him to have a good run every time he hits the table and he usually does. And he doesn't spend a lot of time figuring out his patterns. He seems to instinctively pick good patterns. He has a good sense of how the balls fit together and how to change the look of the table by nudging balls here and there and removing odd balls quickly.

I think there is probably a wealth of 14.1 knowledge in those videos and I hope that you and John figure out how to get commentary on them and market them for the rest of our 14.1 community.