John Barton Match on Facebook Stream

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks John

Thanks John for all the fun I've had reading all this woofin , finger pointing, cussing
etc, for the last two weeks. And even reading all the crap from all the knockers.
It brings back memories of the old times when pool was exciting and fun, and
the mere mention of a pool hall sent parents into a panic. You got up and played.
Now I can go back to reading interesting stuff like my favorite pool song, or what
to name my chalk holder. We all know how that gambling back then hurt pools image.
KEEP IT UP no matter what some say , if a pool player ever needed a
heart transplant he would ask if yours is available. Oh yeah,'Dean said now get back
and make his cases.
jack

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
John, as I said earlier after watching several games, I made you the favorite!..I was not impressed at all, with Justin's moving skills..He made some horrible decisions, that you failed to take advantage of!..If I had been coaching you, you would have won easily!..But you will never beat anyone, if you don't make them pay for their mistakes! :rolleyes:

PS..Suggestion..stick to making cases!..You are never going to survive hustling high $$$ one pocket matches! :sorry:

Making cases is the only reason I can bet anything playing pool. I knew I wasn't cut out to be a pool player the first time three top notchers put the bite on me after I made an $800 score off Bowling Alley Ron at the Miscue Lounge. Guy who could run racks like water sitting around the pool room every day waiting for suckers to walk in so they could hustle enough money to go to the track wasn't my idea of a life.

Justin has a job, Mariel is in college, Karen manages two businesses, I do the case business. We are working people who like to take our pool game as far as we can with the time we have to put in it. Justin wanted to stretch out and bet high and even though I didn't bark at him to play I accepted the challenge and stepped up.

I watched day one and could see the mistakes he made and the mistakes I made. I could see the moves I should have played to punish his mistakes. I could see the shots where I should have cinched the ball and taken one instead of trying to force a higher run. The table looks really funny when you're in the grease, nothing looks as easy as it does on the practice table. And the other side is that Justin had a tendency to go for shots that sold out if he missed but he didn't miss them. I put him in places where a pro wouldn't dare go for the shot and he took a shot and made it and kept shooting.

I know if I had been coached the match would have looked differently. The same thing can be said for him. He has all the technically skills to make any shot he is told to make. Maybe that's a future game.

I don't play pool to make living money. I play it to make fun money. If I play for $50 a game or $500 a game it's fun money. If I win I have more fun money to have more fun outside of pool with and if I lose I have to make more money working so I can have more fun money to play pool with.

This was old school gambling, no one was stealing, no one had the nuts, no one was hustling. Just a grind where two players did the best the could at their level for an amount that made their hearts beat faster.

Personally though I want to say to all the pros....you suck! For making one pocket "look" easy. So many shots you make in your matches are like yeah that was the move just bunt it like that and lay in there. um no, the touch needed to thin a ball and lay it in between two balls from nine feet away or otherwise it sells out a hanger bank is heart attack inducing at my level. But really playing for this amount is way different than playing $20 one pocket and the great moves one sees on TV are not as easy as the look.

For what it's worth the pockets were less than 4.25" also and cut to reject balls - I was the king of the almost banks this match....I lost track of the amount of banks I shot which hung in the jaws.

Anyway it was a much more pleasurable match to play, hard fought and cordial just the same.

Let's see more bangers butting heads for big dough. Just go on a forum and argue about aiming systems until someone challenges you. Be damn sure your stroke is right though because the best aiming system in the world doesn't really fix it, it can help a little but to really fix the stroke is a lot of work that has nothing to do with aiming. So if you're an aiming junkie and you have a stroke then getting action is easy if you can argue. :)

TheMarsMan

Nice Gun!
Silver Member
Making cases is the only reason I can bet anything playing pool. I knew I wasn't cut out to be a pool player the first time three top notchers put the bite on me after I made an $800 score off Bowling Alley Ron at the Miscue Lounge. Guy who could run racks like water sitting around the pool room every day waiting for suckers to walk in so they could hustle enough money to go to the track wasn't my idea of a life.

Justin has a job, Mariel is in college, Karen manages two businesses, I do the case business. We are working people who like to take our pool game as far as we can with the time we have to put in it. Justin wanted to stretch out and bet high and even though I didn't bark at him to play I accepted the challenge and stepped up.

I watched day one and could see the mistakes he made and the mistakes I made. I could see the moves I should have played to punish his mistakes. I could see the shots where I should have cinched the ball and taken one instead of trying to force a higher run. The table looks really funny when you're in the grease, nothing looks as easy as it does on the practice table. And the other side is that Justin had a tendency to go for shots that sold out if he missed but he didn't miss them. I put him in places where a pro wouldn't dare go for the shot and he took a shot and made it and kept shooting.

I know if I had been coached the match would have looked differently. The same thing can be said for him. He has all the technically skills to make any shot he is told to make. Maybe that's a future game.

I don't play pool to make living money. I play it to make fun money. If I play for $50 a game or $500 a game it's fun money. If I win I have more fun money to have more fun outside of pool with and if I lose I have to make more money working so I can have more fun money to play pool with.

This was old school gambling, no one was stealing, no one had the nuts, no one was hustling. Just a grind where two players did the best the could at their level for an amount that made their hearts beat faster.

Personally though I want to say to all the pros....you suck! For making one pocket "look" easy. So many shots you make in your matches are like yeah that was the move just bunt it like that and lay in there. um no, the touch needed to thin a ball and lay it in between two balls from nine feet away or otherwise it sells out a hanger bank is heart attack inducing at my level. But really playing for this amount is way different than playing $20 one pocket and the great moves one sees on TV are not as easy as the look.

For what it's worth the pockets were less than 4.25" also and cut to reject balls - I was the king of the almost banks this match....I lost track of the amount of banks I shot which hung in the jaws.

Anyway it was a much more pleasurable match to play, hard fought and cordial just the same.

Let's see more bangers butting heads for big dough. Just go on a forum and argue about aiming systems until someone challenges you. Be damn sure your stroke is right though because the best aiming system in the world doesn't really fix it, it can help a little but to really fix the stroke is a lot of work that has nothing to do with aiming. So if you're an aiming junkie and you have a stroke then getting action is easy if you can argue. :)

Great Post!

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

This is a great reply, John. But you do not owe anybody an explanation; you made a game, steamed it, and contended well. You are the MAN!

Your buddy,
Dave

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I think its really cool of you to do these, John. There appear to be many of us that like watching regular guys matching up, especially with stakes of some amount involved.

Keep on keepin' on. (So long as Karen lets you, of course....lol)

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

To your credit, you actually made some pretty good banks and safes as well. Shot your best when you didn't try to steer it. It doesn't appear one-pocket is Justin's main game, but he had some great shots as well; he did make some iffy choices... The after match pics say it all. It's all cool.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Sorry bud, not too sure about that.
He saw your game before challenging you, didn't he?
He can shoot spot shots one-handed.
He shoots pretty straight. Does not move much when he shoots.
He is definitely a B player in 9-ball or 10-ball.
Or better.
I don't know if moves and traps are overrated in one-pocket but, precision is still king imo.

He doesn't wear eyeglasses . You have 20/40 vision at best . Guess what, with that, you will tend to hit the cut shots fat . Efren is not even exempt from that.
He became more conservative in giving weight when his eyes started to go. He told us his cut shots are hitting the rail now . Told us that after John Schmidt ran over Parica at Shooters. Efren would not give him a ball more than Parica did . And that was more than a decade ago.
Hate to say it but CTE ain't gonna help much. You can't even see the edge of the object ball all that clearly. And that 1/128th of the ball matters a lot.

But, becoming a stroking junkie for a change will surely make you better.
It already has.

If I'm wrong, my bad.

Last edited:

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you should challenge him to a rematch, but a game of 10 ball, WPA rules (no early 10 ball), race to maybe 50.

One pocket is a game of moves, which I personally don't like, I'd rather see some 10 ball and a shooting contest and think you'd surely do better, maybe even win!

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I think you should challenge him to a rematch, but a game of 10 ball, WPA rules (no early 10 ball), race to maybe 50.

One pocket is a game of moves, which I personally don't like, I'd rather see some 10 ball and a shooting contest and think you'd surely do better, maybe even win!
I dont think I'd like it. Justin runs out rotation games pretty well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk