MIZERAK "DOVE BALABUSHKA" All of Steve's cues tucked in the family closet now seen

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=44e51714eb4135ed0c6410a7e8e7e01a&oe=568625EB

I had the great pleasure of having Pete Tascarella make a beautiful copy of the Mizerak cue for me. Here I am next to the original. Suffice to say Pete did a great job! As a side note - Pete still use Balabushka's old lathe so both cues were created on the same machine.

Yep I saw pics of this cue. The Pete's did a wonderful job. Pete Jr. Has to be commended on an amazing job hand cutting the dove inlay too. Congrats!

DunnM1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I met Steve back in the 90's while he was going around to Brunswick table dealers. The one here in Columbus Ohio (Southern Bowling and Billiards), out of business now. Had him in to do an exhibition. I worked there giving pool lessons and was introduced to him. He heard I was ex-military and thanked me for my service. I got to spend a total of two hours with him talking about straight pool. I had a Richard Black "Alamo", and he allowed me to hit balls with this cue and he hit a few balls with my cue. He was such a nice individual. I might never be able to afford his "Dove" cue, but I will have one like it? Should be here in December. Thank you Ken! And thanks Jerry!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    48.4 KB · Views: 463

arkla

Registered
I met Steve back in the 90's while he was going around to Brunswick table dealers. The one here in Columbus Ohio (Southern Bowling and Billiards), out of business now. Had him in to do an exhibition. I worked there giving pool lessons and was introduced to him. He heard I was ex-military and thanked me for my service. I got to spend a total of two hours with him talking about straight pool. I had a Richard Black "Alamo", and he allowed me to hit balls with this cue and he hit a few balls with my cue. He was such a nice individual. I might never be able to afford his "Dove" cue, but I will have one like it? Should be here in December. Thank you Ken! And thanks Jerry!

I see you are doing it in Ivory inlays and with four doves for symmetry. Are you doing steel or ivory joint. I stayed with the MOP to stay truer to the original but I like yours as well. Who is doing it for you?

Please post pictures when its done and best of luck with it.

Last edited:

arkla

Registered
Yep I saw pics of this cue. The Pete's did a wonderful job. Pete Jr. Has to be commended on an amazing job hand cutting the dove inlay too. Congrats!

Thank you for pointing that out. I was remiss in not have mentioned Pete Jr's incredible effort on that inlay. It shows what great effort the Tascarellas will go to produce such fine work!!!

DunnM1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jerry Rauenzahn is doing it for me, and yes in Ivory. And we made another change as well.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    61 KB · Views: 365

ZiggyLee

I Love This Game!!!!
Silver Member
Very nice collection...

Wow super nice collection of beautiful cues, wish I could see them in person. Ken always has some of most sought after cues out there. Thanks for sharing..:thumbup:

Chris:wink:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This original design was so unique for a pool cue, it's has to be a thrill to own a great looking reproduction.

On the Tascarella cue, do the points extend a little longer into the forearm than the original dove cue? I've
looked at the photos closely and maybe it's a illusion but the original cue's points appear look to be shorter.

Perhaps it's the way the cue is displayed and so the joint/rings on the cue on the right isn't visible. Ergo, the
viewing angle make the points look a little longer than the original Miz cue, at least to my viewing it looked longer
after I imagined the collar rings & cue joint underneath the hand in the photo. It's likely just a illusion to my eye.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=44e51714eb4135ed0c6410a7e8e7e01a&oe=568625EB

Matt B.

Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
This original design was so unique for a pool cue, it's has to be a thrill to own a great looking reproduction.

On the Tascarella cue, do the points extend a little longer into the forearm than the original dove cue? I've
looked at the photos closely and maybe it's a illusion but the original cue's points appear look to be shorter.

Perhaps it's the way the cue is displayed and so the joint/rings on the cue on the right isn't visible. Ergo, the
viewing angle make the points look a little longer than the original Miz cue, at least to my viewing it looked longer
after I imagined the collar rings & cue joint underneath the hand in the photo. It's likely just a illusion to my eye.

Matt B.

You are correct. The original Bushka cue for Mizerak had Burton Spain points, and those are shorter than the reproduction made by the Tascarellas. Most, if not all cuemakers today make their points longer than Spain did.

Also, if you look closely, you'll notice that the Tascarella buttsleeve is slightly longer than the original Bushka.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
You are correct. The original Bushka cue for Mizerak had Burton Spain points, and those are shorter than the reproduction made by the Tascarellas. Most, if not all cuemakers today make their points longer than Spain did.

Also, if you look closely, you'll notice that the Tascarella buttsleeve is slightly longer than the original Bushka.

Hoot, there may be differences in dimensions but what is not different is the build quality and integrity. The Pete's know how George built cues and follow the same recipe. They do one thing even better by building their own high quality prongs..

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Hoot, there may be differences in dimensions but what is not different is the build quality and integrity. The Pete's know how George built cues and follow the same recipe. They do one thing even better by building their own high quality prongs..

Agree with you, Tim. I was only observing the differences in design dimensions between the Bushka and the Tasc, and they're noticible, though not major. One of the nice opportunities I have is to hit with a friend's two Tascs locally, and the feel and quality is indeed similar with several Bushkas I got to hit with in earlier times. I think Jerry -R- does a good job with this style, and I haven't hit with a Steve Klein cue, but I think the Tascarellas come very close to the Bushka feel and standard, with improvements you've noted.

DunnM1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jerry Rauenzahn version

My Jerry Rauenzahn version with some minor changes. I have hit with many different cues, and Jerry's comes closest to the Balabushka hit for me. My personal opinion! There are others that hit very good. I have gotten rid of all my other cues and will only have three of Jerry's. Might go for four. Would like to add three other cues to my collection a original Balabushka, a Gus and one from his son Barry. But I will not be getting one of those in the near future, don't have that kind of money. Picture of my Rauenzahn.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 1,265
Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks really great to my eye and I also liked Pete's version too.....what's not to like?

This is a great photo of your design which lets you see everything.....is that a white EE wrap?

All kidding aside, what wrap have you decided to marry with this outstanding workmanship

I can't wait to see the photos of your cue in the Gallery after it arrives......Truly Outstanding Work!

Matt B.

p.s. Sometime please share with us the great cues you decided to let go to get where you are today.
I recall one of the most beautiful ivory joint RB Alamo pool cues you had....and there were others.
Don't wanna hijack this thread and so please do that after your Dove cue arrives & you post pics.

Last edited:

arkla

Registered

You are correct on all counts.

The points are a bit longer but the veneer colors are next to perfect and matched the original. Not an easy feat when trying to reproduce the look of a 40+ year old cue. The quality of the MOP used is outstanding. As you can see in the photo, both cues' inlays glisten in the light.

Also, what might be a little known fact is that the original was a full splice.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member

The points are a bit longer but the veneer colors are next to perfect and matched the original. Not an easy feat when trying to reproduce the look of a 40+ year old cue. The quality of the MOP used is outstanding. As you can see in the photo, both cues' inlays glisten in the light.

Thank you, I appreciate that. Magnificent cue the Tascarellas built for you, looks like they executed very well. It would be great if you could post some detailed pictures of this cue.

All the best
WW

arkla

Registered
thank you, i appreciate that. Magnificent cue the tascarellas built for you, looks like they executed very well. It would be great if you could post some detailed pictures of this cue.

All the best
ww

IMG_5597.jpg
IMG_5602.jpg
IMG_5600.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5593.jpg
    IMG_5593.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 941
Last edited:

HighEndCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Pete did a very nice job on your cue.
I see you did your homework.. The "Dove" might have been the only Ebony fullsplice George built. Very rare to see in Ebony. The cue is ebony right through the handle.
Best,
Ken

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I see you did your homework.. The "Dove" might have been the only Ebony fullsplice George built. Very rare to see in Ebony. The cue is ebony right through the handle.
Best,
Ken

Yeah, I've seen some ebony full splice Bushka's but this is one of the few without rings above the wrap... Nice to know the ebony travels through the wrap..I love the rosewood and maple railroads too and don't for get the BALLS at the prong tips.. Always LOVED that look!!

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Originally Posted by arkla View Post

HighEndCues:

Best,
Ken

Great job all the way around. What is hard to see for most is that the original cue had veneers of black, mahogany, aqua, and maple from outside to inside in the points. Mizerak's cue had a number of refinishes during it's lifetime, and the aqua became very hard to see over time. The Tascarellas did a very good job of an original tribute of the cue, with the correct colors. Very nice cue.

All the best,
WW