Would you buy a used cue from an unknown cue maker, without being able to try it out?

If you were to see a used cue for sale online, that was made by a cue maker that you never heard of, and you were unable to find any reviews about that cue, would you buy it, just based off of the looks of it, because you think it appears to be a very nice, and good quality cue?

These are the types of cues that always intrigue me, but if I buy them, then I usually end up losing money on them, when the time comes that I need to sell them, because unknown cues are usually a very hard seller, due to most buyers looking for a certain brand name item, or a cue from a well known cue maker.

So, it just makes me wonder if many pool players out there sometimes take a gamble, and buy a cue just based on its looks, without being able to shoot with it 1st, and without being able to look up any reviews about the quality of the cue makers cues.

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My usual answer is also a " NO ", but, if a cue has my interest, I have done a search
in different pool leagues in the area. Those leagues usually have a player as president
of the league players, not the company, Their name is usually listed with a phone number.
If the cue maker does decent work, for a fair price, the players in that area will know him
and his work.
It is to bad that a lower level cue maker site is not available to view. If you can't find them, I
would stay away until more facts are on your table.
Good Luck

Short answer - NO!!

A better question might be, how much would you gamble, if any amount, on a cue from an unknown cue maker, if you liked the looks of the cue? $50, $100, $200? Or, would your trust in some low level Production cue be higher then gambling on a cue from an unknown cue maker?

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can go to the thrift store and buy a $500 cue for $10. Likely $20 with a nice case.

There is no way I’m buying any cue on line.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can go to the thrift store and buy a $500 cue for $10. Likely $20 with a nice case.

Even that is only as a cue for my collection. I would NEVER buy a cue I had never used as my playing cue....even if it was the same brand and model as the one I play with..

The thing about customs, even if they are from a very well known and highly respected cue maker, you do not know how they are going to hit until you actually try the cue out for yourself.

But if you buy a Mezz, or a Schon, to name a few examples, and you have played with those brands in the past, then you will have a pretty good idea what to expect from the feel and hit of the cue.

With customs, you just do not know until you try the cue out yourself, to make your own opinion, and if for some reason you do not like it, then you had better know that the cue is in decent demand, or you might have a very hard time trying to resell it.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After now posting this question, you have to realize you can never return to the a Forum to gripe if you get burned.
Only a person with money to burn, or gamble on a whim, would consider doing this. Any sensible pool player will
tell you to run in the opposite direction away from this sale unless you have some great hunch this cue is the “one”.

Is it you can’t afford a design you like dealing directly with some known cue-maker or buying what you want pre-owned?
What makes this cue so irresistible? An unknown cue maker & zero feedback is okay if you are flush with cash. I wouldn’t.
There must be something about the design that floats your boat. Why not just hire a cue maker to build that same design?

Hey, none of this matters other than you were asking readers about this and do as you will. It is your money and everyone
has a different amount of discretionary funds available at any given point in time to be frivolous with. This might be your time.
The cue might turn out to be a hidden gem. As long as you’re prepared to be disappointed & risk your money, then you can’t lose.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since I have more than a few cues that I would use in any game of consequence with complete faith- then, yes, I do buy cues sometimes without knowing how it will play- why? Maybe I have heard good things about a cue maker, maybe I like how it looks, maybe I have some spare cash, and since cues are a passion- why not?

I have been pleasantly surprised by some "blind" cue buys and very disappointed by some others. I just did a cue review this week in that section on "By Castle" cues that have resurfaced as newly made again. I bought one for $300 because I liked the wood- and my review will tell how how much I liked the rest about that cue.

I have played with every cue that I owned simply because I enjoy feeling the nuances in playability among cues and the satisfaction that comes with a nice hitting cue.

Never looked upon cues as an investment - I always just tried not to lose too much on any one cue- many have appreciated and after 20 years of this, I would say I am about even on the money- happy with that.

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Even that is only as a cue for my collection. I would NEVER buy a cue I had never used as my playing cue....even if it was the same brand and model as the one I play with..
Do you have any idea how many cues are bought online by
competant shooters? THOUSANDS

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you were to see a used cue for sale online, that was made by a cue maker that you never heard of, and you were unable to find any reviews about that cue, would you buy it, just based off of the looks of it, because you think it appears to be a very nice, and good quality cue?
If it was $20, maybe. If it was $2000, nope.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m with you.. I don’t get it. when It comes to some cues if you’ve hit with them before it’s worth the risk. If you know you like predator they are all consistent etc. but I would personally not buy a cue if I hadn’t hit with it first.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you have any idea how many cues are bought online by
competant shooters? THOUSANDS

That doesn’t change the fact they are taking a risk but honestly if you get it and don’t like it back on the internet for sale it goes I guess.