>>> The McDermott.....the C21 <<<

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
Found the Before pictures of my D16. I feel like I overpaid @ $275. Refinish with the I2 was $400. I'll take some pics of it when I get home and post them here.

D16 Before

D16butt_with_flower.JPG

D16photo%201.JPG

:cool:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
Notice the buttcap has been replaced and the modern McDermott logo stamp was used. It is definitely not a restoration the way I see it. It looks like a nice refinish, but personally I would want to preserve the buttcap if possible. Yes, I would even want an "old" finish used for authenticity.

Which one are you referring to, the C?

I don't know any back story on either of the cues (aside from the D being water damaged) or what the customer requested. I do know that replacement of parts carrys an additional cost. My D16 came back with the original parts, except for the shaft collar that was compression damaged from the shaft being overtightened at some point.

I emailed Jayme and asked if they took pictures, wanting to get before after of my cue. He sent me these instead with a brief explanation. Neither was called a "restoration" which I agree would entail using period original parts and finish.

All I can say is that I am thrilled with the way my D16 came out. I continue to be impressed with McDermott in terms of quality, service and fast turn around.

:cool:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what the hell did the guy do with the D22 go scuba diving with it? spear fishing? thats very sever water damage...

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what the hell did the guy do with the D22 go scuba diving with it? spear fishing? thats very sever water damage...

If you watch Ebay after things like hurricanes or anything that creates a flood you will find such cues. I got one after that big hurricane in Mississippi (I forget the name)...a Russ Espiritu. Mine was not as bad as that, but you could smell the flood waters on it.

It's very likely this cue was a victim of such circumstances I think.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you watch Ebay after things like hurricanes or anything that creates a flood you will find such cues. I got one after that big hurricane in Mississippi (I forget the name)...a Russ Espiritu. Mine was not as bad as that, but you could smell the flood waters on it.

It's very likely this cue was a victim of such circumstances I think.

i was joking, when Galveston had that hurricane a couple years back, we had a thread going on "how many cues will be lost forever" Cues that cant be replaced-Gus, Bushka. those storms are nothing to laugh at. I dont understand the people who stay. its clear its coming. in Ca we get 0 seconds to make a plan when a earthquake hits.

take care and thx for the pics, brings back nice memories

WBARGER2

I've been around cues for some 20 years now, and think I've only seen 2 other ones....and it's been a long while. Has anybody even seen one of these C21 cues lately?

This one could use a refinish and couple of new shafts. It has two thin shafts with original ivory ferrules. For the longest time, the McDermott C21 was the 'mack daddy' as far as production cues was concerned. How do folks feel about these cues now?

I welcome all thoughts. Hopefully this can spark some decent discussion on the current collectibility of production cues.

The old Meuccis seem to be holding their own value-wise in the current market.

What about this and other A, B, C, & D line McDermotts?

Are there other production cues that are faring better in retaining value?
Just of interest, I have this cue with both original shafts and the original box it came in - first owner outside of the pool hall that sold it. Came out of a place in Rock Island, Il. Beautiful cue - love it.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The old C-model cues were the best that McDermott ever made IMO.

I bought a C-14 back in 1985 and still have it.

At the time, I was using a cue that Richard Black made for me in 1981 and after playing with the C-14 I sold the Black. The C-14 played way better.

I have had numerous people offer to buy this cue for way more than I paid for it and I turned down $1500 cash for it about a year ago. I turned down $1200 cash about 10 years ago.

This cue was refinished by McDermott a few years back and it is in mint condition with one original shaft and one matching new shaft.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my first mc dermott was like yours at the top

but i don't remember the design below the wrap

bob vanover traded me out of it,some 30 years ago