9-BALL BREAK STRATEGY, Under All Rules

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video that covers 9-ball break strategy, including what to do when playing under “break from the box” and “9 on the spot” rules. Check it out:

Topics covered [with YouTube timestamp links] include:
- Intro [0:00]
- Making the Wing Ball [0:44]
- Making the 1 [1:43]
- Squatting the CB [2:30]
- Soft Break [3:16]
- Gap Effects [5:05]
- Breaking from the Box [5:59]
- 9 on the Spot [6:54]
- 9 on the Spot, Breaking from the Box [8:17]
- Golden Break [9:41]
- Controlling the 1 [11:49]
- Wrap-Up [12:27]

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy,
Dave

Last edited:

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is outstanding! Thank you Dave!

I have been so confused by the 9 on the spot cut break. This really helped me understand it much better.

On the break from anywhere part it looked like you were using straight draw. The break at 7:26 seemed to be the best in terms of making the one, the wing ball, and safely satisfying the three point rule. I will work on that and see if I can get similar results.

The break from the box variant requires outside as well, makes sense as you are cutting it thinner and need more help to get back through the rack area. I think your best hits were with the cue ball going to the side rail and then back just above the 9 ball. That seems to be the track the top players use. It can scratch off the 9 but it seems the best percentage to make the one ball.

Thank you for breaking this down for us! :)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I remember when about the only advice for the break was to keep moving the cue ball starting position until something good started happening. Tight racks were the start of changing that.

I imagine there were some players way back when who had studied this and knew where they wanted the gaps, but it used to be that your opponent always racked for you.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is outstanding! Thank you Dave!

I have been so confused by the 9 on the spot cut break. This really helped me understand it much better.
You're welcome. I'm glad to hear it.

On the break from anywhere part it looked like you were using straight draw.
... only on the cut breaks. I should have shown the spin diagram throughout the video but it takes a lot of work and I didn't have it in me. I worked long and hard on this video.

The break at 7:26 seemed to be the best in terms of making the one, the wing ball, and safely satisfying the three point rule. I will work on that and see if I can get similar results.
That is a good approach, assuming you aren't breaking from "the box."

The break from the box variant requires outside as well, makes sense as you are cutting it thinner and need more help to get back through the rack area. I think your best hits were with the cue ball going to the side rail and then back just above the 9 ball. That seems to be the track the top players use. It can scratch off the 9 but it seems the best percentage to make the one ball.
Agreed.

Thank you for breaking this down for us! :)
You're welcome. And as always, thank you for your supportive comments and smart questions and summaries.

All the best,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I remember when about the only advice for the break was to keep moving the cue ball starting position until something good started happening. Tight racks were the start of changing that.

I imagine there were some players way back when who had studied this and knew where they wanted the gaps, but it used to be that your opponent always racked for you.
Yep ... many things have certainly changed over the years.

Thanks for watching,
Dave

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought the video was informative. Thanks for uploading.

One thing that stuck out to me is you implied Corey cheated by calling his racks "trickery". I think that is a bit unfair to him. He revolutionized the game through his study of the rack and the break, and he did it within the rules. Yes, the rules were changed because of things he did, but he did not cheat.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I thought the video was informative. Thanks for uploading.
I’m glad you thought so. You’re welcome. I aim to swerve. :grin-square:

One thing that stuck out to me is you implied Corey cheated by calling his racks "trickery". I think that is a bit unfair to him. He revolutionized the game through his study of the rack and the break, and he did it within the rules. Yes, the rules were changed because of things he did, but he did not cheat.
There have been examples (9-ball and 8-ball), where Corey has used pattern racking to his benefit. Maybe it was not “enforced” in those tournaments, possibly due to referees or opponents not noticing, but pattern racking certainly was not “proper” or “legal” (under standard rules). Examples can be found here:

Pattern Racking, Ball-Gap Strategy, and Soft Break

8-ball Break Strategy, Advice, and Pattern Racking

Regardless, I agree that Corey has taught us a lot over the years through his “pushing of the limits.”

Regards,
Dave

Last edited: