John Schmidt's 626

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
And don't forget the vast conspiracy to make this all happen....

Well, if you see a strange smoking man hovering around behind the ball polishers, look the other way. THEY don't want you to know about the caffeine they added to the polish. I would say more but the red APA helicopter keeps circling so I may have been found. More later.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... At least 50x100 to be cut up....3x2" autographed cuts
5000/6= 833 pieces.
I believe the plan was and still may be to make 626 numbered commemorative sets with a signed piece of cloth in each set. I think a better price would be $100/set but I'm not very good at marketing.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
In spite of all the nuttyness of this thread, I think there are some very important points that should have been adressed by anyone trying to break the world record:

1. Table inspection. The table in question should be inspected with levels and straightedges in order to detect any shaving of pockets or other slate/rubber shenanigans. This is especially important after the record attempt, but also before. Under no circumstances should anything be done to the table before inspections have been made.

2. A rail bounce test should also be included, IMO, to make sure they at least hold BCA standards. A stimp-meter sort of device should be used and its specs included.

3. Ball inspection. To ensure no silicone, teflon or other shenanigans. Balls should be in spec.

4. Marketing. Anyone would be well adviced to have a method of sale prepared in advance.

5. Public availability (not necessarily free, but at least available in some form, right after the attempt, not 2 years later).

6. Unbiased witnesses and inspectors (a given, I'd say).

7. A good idea, but maybe not a requirement would be a peer-review of top players of the discipline, hall of famers or high level referees which could have been appointed in advance.

8. I almost forgot that the markings on the table, including the foul line should be clearly and visibly marked, to avoid any tilting and that the perpendicularity (is that a word? English isn't my mother tongue) of this line should be especially thouroughly checked.

It's sad and shocking to me that anyone who bowls 300 three times in a row has to have their bowling balls inspected with scientific equipment, while a pool world record which has stood for half a century has nothing in the way of such requirements. I don't know John Schmidt and don't really have anything against him as a person. This is not really about him, but the sport and its reputation. Had such inspections been made and the requirements met, most of the naysayers wouldn't have had a leg to stand on. Sadly, due to the lack of such preparations and the lack of general video availability, the speculations will continue to spread.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In spite of all the nuttyness of this thread, I think there are some very important points that should have been adressed by anyone trying to break the world record:

1. Table inspection. The table in question should be inspected with levels and straightedges in order to detect any shaving of pockets or other slate/rubber shenanigans. This is especially important after the record attempt, but also before. Under no circumstances should anything be done to the table before inspections have been made.
2. A rail bounce test should also be included, IMO, to make sure they at least hold BCA standards. A stimp-meter sort of device should be used and its specs included.

3. Ball inspection. To ensure no silicone, teflon or other shenanigans. Balls should be in spec.

4. Marketing. Anyone would be well advised to have a method of sale prepared in advance.

5. Public availability (not necessarily free, but at least available in some form, right after the attempt, not 2 years later).

It's sad and shocking to me that anyone who bowls 300 three times in a row has to have their bowling balls inspected with scientific equipment, while a pool world record which has stood for half a century has nothing in the way of such requirements.
1. So far as I know, there is no good spec for table flatness near the pockets. There is a general spec, but it's fairly long-range. And there is no evidence that the slate was in any way doctored. That appears to be a manufactured rumor. I have played on that table and there did not appear to be anything strange about it.
2. The specs on rubber are a minimum of 4 lengths without jumping. That's pretty dead rubber.
3. Most balls available in a pool hall are not in spec, but I guess a serious attempt will have an equipment sponsor.
4. Pool players are no better at that sort of thing than the typical person. Their skills do not tend in that direction. There are a few notable exceptions.
5. It was only about six months but I generally agree with you

CropperCapture[159].jpg

6. The witnesses are more or less guaranteed to be fans, more or less.

I think the BCA has no budget to send out inspectors for pool records. I think no inspection was made of any table on which pool records were set. Snooker on the other hand requires tables to meet standards for pocket sizes and shapes and records have been denied for lack of measurement.

Last edited:

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
So how does pool get a governing body along the same lines as snooker? Does BCA even publish standards for tables? Cues? Tips? Balls? Specify the type of proof it requires for purported records?

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member

4. Marketing. Anyone would be well adviced to have a method of sale prepared in advance.

7. A good idea, but maybe not a requirement would be a peer-review of top players of the discipline, hall of famers or high level referees which could have been appointed in advance.

8. I almost forgot that the markings on the table, including the foul line should be clearly and visibly marked, to avoid any tilting and that the perpendicularity (is that a word? English isn't my mother tongue) of this line should be especially thouroughly checked.

It's sad and shocking to me that anyone who bowls 300 three times in a row has to have their bowling balls inspected with scientific equipment, while a pool world record which has stood for half a century has nothing in the way of such requirements. I don't know John Schmidt and don't really have anything against him as a person. This is not really about him, but the sport and its reputation. Had such inspections been made and the requirements met, most of the naysayers wouldn't have had a leg to stand on. Sadly, due to the lack of such preparations and the lack of general video availability, the speculations will continue to spread.
So all that was done for the 526 Mosconi run? I did not know that.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So how does pool get a governing body along the same lines as snooker? Does BCA even publish standards for tables? Cues? Tips? Balls? Specify the type of proof it requires for purported records?
I was referring to the WPA specs which are on their website. The BCA follows the WPA specs for official competitions but has a separate set for home tables not intended for tournament use.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
I was particularly interested in specs applicable to BCA records. Without preapproved/published regulations there is great danger of arbitrary and capricious decisionmaking because everything is decided after the fact/on the fly. This is a situation that is unfair to everyone -- the person asserting a record and those challenging asserted record.

Basic propositions: What size table must I play on tomorrow if I am seeking to assert a new 14:1 high run record? Pockets?

Are breaks (rests periods) allowed? How long? Overnight? A week?

Last thing I want to do is go and set this thing and then have to listen to Figueroa and Schmidt for the rest of my life.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think pretty much any table made under the sun is a "regulation table". Maybe except the toy tables.

Every table JS played on was in a commercial room. Commercial tables are all pretty much the same. Diamond was the only one to do the 4.5" pocket and pinball rails as standard. All the other brands are buckets, unless modified for gambling. Even a brand new GC6 has 5" pockets.

You guys are really reaching IMO. Shaved slates? Unlevel slate? You can just watch him playing on the attempts that were livestreamed and see in plain sight that the tables were on the up and up.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
So, did JS use Diamonds in pursuing the record?

How are the Diamonds at DCC set up?

How about "modified for competition"?

Last edited:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there any evidence to "shaved slate at the entry of the pockets"? Has anybody inspected the table to verify this? If this were true then this altered table and the run should be disqualified. Somebody should inspect the table to confirm if its true or not.

She would disqualify mosconi because he played on an 8 foot table with buckets for pockets to set the record. Lol you people are ridiculous.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who is Bob Jewett? I think he is a nice guy but is very partial to Schmidt. Why wasn’t it offered for the table To be inspected by neutral people and pool table mechanics as you know it is some type of so called record. The poolroom guarded that table like Fort Knox from being inspected.
Bottom line is table was altered no unedited video tape no inspection of the circus table and so on. Has anyone ever thought that Schmidt had been playing 10x more straight pool than anyone else in the world in the last 20 years and all his high runs have been on circus and easy tables..
If anybody doesn’t think the table conditions matter than how come he has 59,000 runs over 300 and not a single run on a Diamond over 300 not a single run. Wake up people. John creates the ultimate angles and conditions above and beyond so he can keep his ego so high and be able to continually wag his tail.

He’s someone with a life time of knowledge and credibility in the game and trusted more then you .. a doughnut head that spends his days *****ing on a pool forum.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know I just responded to some nasty comments with my own on here.. I think 30 Years of listening to all the *****ing and moaning that comes along with this game is getting to me. The truth is I get it..and it’s john’s fault. Of course people are going to start thinking it’s not true when you take this long to release the tape. Do I think he actually broke the record on a normal table ....yes. But he has no one to blame but himself for the people questioning it. I’m sorry John that it’s pool and not enough people care for you to become a millionaire selling this. Pool isn’t a game that many people get rich off of no matter what their skill and only the hard core player is going to be able to sit down and watch someone run 626 balls. I know as much as I love the game I couldn’t watch. maybe the last 20 mins to see the pressure build but that’s it.

Release the tape john. at this point you lost any chance of capitalizing greatly on your achievement and it’s only causing the few people who care to question it or not to give a damn.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol.

John is not the kind of guy to respond to your appeal in a manner like you hope.

I know I just responded to some nasty comments with my own on here.. I think 30 Years of listening to all the *****ing and moaning that comes along with this game is getting to me. The truth is I get it..and it’s john’s fault. Of course people are going to start thinking it’s not true when you take this long to release the tape. Do I think he actually broke the record on a normal table ....yes. But he has no one to blame but himself for the people questioning it. I’m sorry John that it’s pool and not enough people care for you to become a millionaire selling this. Pool isn’t a game that many people get rich off of no matter what their skill and only the hard core player is going to be able to sit down and watch someone run 626 balls. I know as much as I love the game I couldn’t watch. maybe the last 20 mins to see the pressure build but that’s it.

Release the tape john. at this point you lost any chance of capitalizing greatly on your achievement and it’s only causing the few people who care to question it or not to give a damn.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol.

John is not the kind of guy to respond to your appeal in a manner like you hope.

I don’t care if he does or he doesn’t. I’m just stating an opinion and honestly I know from chatting with him on fb he doesn’t come on az anymore . He got chased off by the trolls like all pros who have come here . He lost his moment and I understand at this point why people are questioning it. It seem like forever a go when this happened.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t care if he does or he doesn’t. I’m just stating an opinion and honestly I know from chatting with him on fb he doesn’t come on az anymore . He got chased off by the trolls like all pros who have come here . He lost his moment and I understand at this point why people are questioning it. It seem like forever a go when this happened.

No one can chase anyone off here.

You come here, present your thoughts, they stand or fall on their strength or weakness, and you become a member of the community if you can stand the heat. The problem is that many pros expect to come here and get showered with baby kisses. And when people have differing and sometimes critical opinions the pro takes umbrage and their ball and goes home. Then snow flakes start wailing, gnashing their teeth, rending their garments moaning about how another precious pro has been "run off" AZ.

As I recall, about the time he stopped posting, some accounts began to emerge here about the personal interactions folks had with him and it began to look like, just maybe, he wasn't America's Sweetheart after all.

In any case, I thought he should have hung around. He could have contributed a lot and did know how to occasionally turn a humorous phrase.

Lou Figueroa

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Quote: trob: I don’t care if he does or he doesn’t. I’m just stating an opinion and honestly I know from chatting with him on fb he doesn’t come on az anymore . He got chased off by the trolls like all pros who have come here . He lost his moment and I understand at this point why people are questioning it. It seem like forever a go when this happened.

He’s someone with a life time of knowledge and credibility in the game and trusted more then you .. a doughnut head that spends his days *****ing on a pool forum.

Which is exactly what you are doing...

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
main issue, john and azb

john showed his ass on azb. Embarrassed himself and felt he had to make an apology on here. Making an apology pissed him off so he and his buddy did a little real world physical stalking with an assault planned. Two fine healthy young men against one disabled old fellow. Being dumber than a box of rocks his partner didn't realize that the guy that they were stalking had been in his pool hall over a dozen times. He went to Buffalo's where the guy was known to play at the current time, never returning to the corner after finding Buffalo's far superior place. Nobody there enlightened the stalker if they knew who he was looking for.

john put in a couple very brief appearances after that. Since most didn't idolize him he pulled a more permanent fade.

We have a handful of pro players on AZB that could beat John on the pool table. They are happy to be basically anonymous and have their posts stand or fall on their own merits rather than being seen as pronouncements from on high.

Hu

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member

Nice nitty comments. Like it or not your entitled to your opinion as I am also.
Unlike 98% of the people replying in this thread I actually can play straight pool at a very high level and I know John very well. Also I am a historian of pool and like to keep the record books straight in line without people setting up circus tables to break records. As far as Bob Jewett I respect him and his donations and have no issues with him at all. The times I’ve been around him he has been respectful and so have I.
I can very easily set up 6 tables at my house and create circus type conditions and fly in 10 pros and let them stay with me and I’m sure within just a few days one of them would run 700 or more if I created the same conditions and table like John played on and release an unedited video of all the runs for free and if I did would the high runs be official?

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
No one can chase anyone off here.

You come here, present your thoughts, they stand or fall on their strength or weakness, and you become a member of the community if you can stand the heat. The problem is that many pros expect to come here and get showered with baby kisses. And when people have differing and sometimes critical opinions the pro takes umbrage and their ball and goes home. Then snow flakes start wailing, gnashing their teeth, rending their garments moaning about how another precious pro has been "run off" AZ.

As I recall, about the time he stopped posting, some accounts began to emerge here about the personal interactions folks had with him and it began to look like, just maybe, he wasn't America's Sweetheart after all.

In any case, I thought he should have hung around. He could have contributed a lot and did know how to occasionally turn a humorous phrase.

Lou Figueroa
Really, you don’t think someone can be chased off of here, that’s hilarious, thanks for making me laugh, or LOL as we say nowadays.