3C - wish someone would have told me...

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
What a freakishly addicting game! Someone should have warned me, and I wouldn't have even tried it!!! I probably spent 2 hours playing someone yesterday, and another 3 hours on my own, and now want to go straight back down to the poolhall for even more TORTURE :eek: :grin: I am resisting tonight, but I'm sitting here thinking of shots from different situations yesterday.....that game is SICK!!! :cool:

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
What a freakishly addicting game! Someone should have warned me, and I wouldn't have even tried it!!! I probably spent 2 hours playing someone yesterday, and another 3 hours on my own, and now want to go straight back down to the poolhall for even more TORTURE :eek: :grin: I am resisting tonight, but I'm sitting here thinking of shots from different situations yesterday.....that game is SICK!!! :cool:

Great game, isn't it?

Have you checked out the threads in the Carom Billiards forum?

Check out some of the "How Do You Play This?" threads here:
http://talk.cuetable.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73

woody_968

BRING BACK 14.1
Silver Member
Wish we had a table around here, Id really like to learn the game.

Has anyone ever come up with a decent "plug" to temporarily convert a pool table?

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
Great game, isn't it?

Have you checked out the threads in the Carom Billiards forum?

Check out some of the "How Do You Play This?" threads here:
http://talk.cuetable.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73

There were only 3 other guys in the poolhall yesterday when I arrived (2 playing a set of 9ball on one of the GCs and 1 guy shooting on the 3C table). I asked, "teach me a few things for $$ table time?" He agreed quickly, and laughed on my first shot when I put exactly the wrong english on a the shot (right when I shoulda used left). Couple of shots later...similar shot, got the point :wink: I got a couple of points taking the cueball in different ways than he would have and he asked, "who's teachin' who?"

I'll be sure to check out the Carom threads, and your link. Thanks. :grin:

Last edited:

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played it a bit. A Pool player mucking about the Billiard table, that was me.
I liked the game, though. What little I played, I ran three numerous times and missed the fourth by the thickness of a sheet of paper. It was several years before I ran four and never did it again. The brother of a regular used to come in and play only Three Cusion, by himself. One day he ran 8!!! I saw Babe Cranfield play a couple of times when he was in town on business. He was pretty good. I have one or two Accustats tapes of that Turkish guy, can't remember his name right off the bat. Just amazing!

Duane Tuula

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad you found the game! Without question, my advice to every player I have spoken to who asks "how to get better at pool"... I tell them to play 3C... Cue ball control, speed, angles... Playing the game will definitely make you a better player!

fd_colorado

Go Pack Go!!!
Silver Member
I've played it a bit. A Pool player mucking about the Billiard table, that was me.
I liked the game, though. What little I played, I ran three numerous times and missed the fourth by the thickness of a sheet of paper. It was several years before I ran four and never did it again. The brother of a regular used to come in and play only Three Cusion, by himself. One day he ran 8!!! I saw Babe Cranfield play a couple of times when he was in town on business. He was pretty good. I have one or two Accustats tapes of that Turkish guy, can't remember his name right off the bat. Just amazing!

A couple of weeks ago I played 3C for the first time in probably 20 years. Felt good about having one run of 3 and two runs of 2 in a game to 10. Watching some of the other players made me realize how much I had forgotten about the game. It's truly a great game. Too bad their aren't more 3C tables around anymore.

Turkish guy = Semih Sayginer

fd_colorado

Go Pack Go!!!
Silver Member
Wish we had a table around here, Id really like to learn the game.

Has anyone ever come up with a decent "plug" to temporarily convert a pool table?

Aren't the rail cushions different (bounce charateristics) on the 3C table? If I am remembering this correctly, that is why a complete set of replacement rails is the solution.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Be careful Trusty. You may end up trading in the Jacoby if you continue with the madness. I've seen it happen.
Next thing you know you'll be a USBA member and playing the Marshalltown Regional end of Nov. every year.

Das928

Banned
Be careful Trusty. You may end up trading in the Jacoby if you continue with the madness. I've seen it happen.
Next thing you know you'll be a USBA member and playing the Marshalltown Regional end of Nov. every year.
Why would he trade in his Jacoby? Do they use different cues? What is different about them?
I played this game once and it was a blast. Since then the pool hall closed. I just wish I could find a table to play on in the Metro Detroit area

bigdaddygerald

big spoon weilder
Silver Member
my names gerald and im an addict

You arent joking about it being an easy bug to catch. It is a game that only limits you by your imagination. I honestly think if more pool players tried it a few times with someone who can actually play a little bit the game would have a much bigger following.

At this point if i have a choice between pocket billiards or 3-c on a decent table....ill be shooting yellow.

trusty if you really want to make sure you dont get cured pick up a book on system play. If you any kind of math person it opens your eyes to alot of options. I played pool off and on for 20years and never knew the diamonds on the table werent just decoration...lol

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aren't the rail cushions different (bounce charateristics) on the 3C table? If I am remembering this correctly, that is why a complete set of replacement rails is the solution.

The balls are a different size. The rail heights would be different. If you could get a set of Billiard balls the same size as Pool balls it would be ok. Regulation Billiard balls on a Pool table would definitely not react the same.
As for different cues, Pool cues weren't designed to push the larger balls around, though they can work. Billiard cues are often shorter, with a different taper and with a joint with the wooden screw in the shaft instead of in the butt. I think they tend to be lighter also but I could be wrong about that.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Enjoy, Rusty. Three cushion is a beautiful game. I play it about three times a month here in New York. If you ever make it to my town, let me know and we'll shoot some 3-cushion together, with the table time my treat.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why would he trade in his Jacoby? Do they use different cues? What is different about them?
I played this game once and it was a blast. Since then the pool hall closed. I just wish I could find a table to play on in the Metro Detroit area
Yep, 3 Cushion cues are different. Just like Snooker cues are different as is Masse cues as is Carom cues as is Russian Pyramid cues.

Very generally speaking. 3C cues are shorter 55" - 57", lighter 18oz and below, balance point is rearward, shaft taper is stiffer, tip is smaller 11.5mm + -.

Although there are many people that successfully play with a cue made for pool there is a difference. I'm not familiar with how Jacoby cues play with 3C balls and my comment wasn't a dig on his cues. In pool 99% of the shots the CB travels no more than 10 or 15 feet and normally much shorter. In 3C 50 or 60 ft is not uncommon and 15-20' close to an average. The balls are about 25% heavier and a pool shaft will flex more than desirable. A rearward balance aids in sending the ball longer distances. Lighter Weight and Smaller tip IMO is the current fad so to speak. I currently have a 14oz cue on order. Can't wait. Current player is 15oz reduced from 18.5oz. Couldn't get it to 14 so out comes the wallet.

Come on DD cough it up. I know what's going on. It plays so good you don't want to give it up.

Again there are exceptions to all of this.

For a better explanation:
http://cuemaker.com/whatizzpool.htm
and
http://cuemaker.com/whatizzcarom.htm

forgot Here's a list of MI Rooms with tables.
http://www.usba.net/USBABilliardRooms.asp?RoomName=&ContactName=&state=MI

Last edited:

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
i really like 3c and they have actually started some tournies in tucson at pockets. i have ran a four and 3's are the norm. great game

senor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad you found the game! Without question, my advice to every player I have spoken to who asks "how to get better at pool"... I tell them to play 3C... Cue ball control, speed, angles... Playing the game will definitely make you a better player!

Agree 100%.

In my mind 3 cushion is the 2nd greatest game behind 1 pocket.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
i really like 3c and they have actually started some tournies in tucson at pockets. i have ran a four and 3's are the norm. great game

Center; If you run 3's on a regular basis, you can play with anyone in the country, (mistake ), the world!
Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"