Gold Crown Finish

supercoupe5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wondering what the bronze/copper coating is on the legs (feet) of a Gold Crown. Is it painted plated or a powder coating? Thanks Dave

Reaboy

Registered
my GC3 is copper plated. The feet were scratched and dinged enough that upon bead blasting with very fine media, it was clear that the copper was scratched through to the base metal. I primered them and painted with Valspar copper rattle can paint.

At first I baked them in my garage oven (used for powder coating) - that makes a very durable finish even out of rattle can paint - but it changed the color to an antique bronze look. I repainted them without baking then applied many coats of Krylon clear. They are almost an exact match of the original finish.

I have now painted all the pocket corners and ball box trim with the same Valspar can paint, then they will get cleared with an Automotive Eurathane for better durability. The legs won't get much wear, but the pocket corners will - hence the better clear.

I powder coat for my other hobbies, but could not find a copper - and I am not a fan of the hammer tone bronze/black - I wanted my table to look original, but didn't want to pay for copper plating.

Todd

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wild guess on my part-perhaps an anodized treatment(GCIII's ??).

Hopefully, a mechanic can answer definitively for you.

Are you looking to re-do the feet?

mike253

Flash
Silver Member
Castings and feet on the GC3 have a plated finish from the factory. If you're asking because you have a set that looks bad, you'll probably want to get them powder coated. That service seems to run about $110 from what I've read here lately.

supercoupe5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am getting them powder coated. I am not sure what the bronze/copper color is but it has a clear coat on it. I stripped the clear coat with aircraft stripper and sandblaseted the coating. They are ready for the powder coater now. Dave

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Castings

The last I knew pat O'donnell & company had several sets powder coated ready to be swapped & shipped out as long as your casting are not damaged there good for a core.. The price is pretty darn hard to beat but I can't remember the exact price.
-
Rob.M