Another Pool Room CLOSED - VIP Billiards, Catonsville, MD

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another pool room has fallen due to various factors. I have played there and hosted nine ball tournaments there. The former owners, Steve and Jessica Didier, were two of the nicest owners you could hope to meet. Rather than trying to provide the details, I have posted this message from their website:

"We feel as if we did everything possible to remain operating for our customers, for as long as we could hold on. Whatever the reasons may be, pool is just not as popular as it once was and good pool rooms are sinking all around us. In our case, first the neighboring property owner banned our customers from parking in his lot - even though there was no open business on his property. That move relegated our customers to squeeze in to the small lot out back, and many customers were not comfortable parking back there. We were also often sharing parking with Baltimore Martial Arts, whose clients easily overburdened all of the available parking. So - we had a pool room with no parking, and to top it off our landlord refused to assign any dedicated parking for VIP.

At the same time, we learned that there are plans underway for the construction of a new building that will occupy most of the parking area in front and will totally block the view of our building from Rt. 40. No parking, no visibility, no signage = no point in staying. There were some other issues at play as well, such as problems reaching a lease agreement with the landlord and the increased crime in the area.

We realize that by closing VIP we hurt our customers - VIP had become a landmark of sorts and it will be missed by many. We also created a gaping hole in the pool community, as there are few "good" pool rooms still in operation, and certainly none locally. For this we apologize and hope you can forgive us.

We were able to store most of the equipment, at least temporarily and WE DO intend to reopen at another location and probably under a different name. Watch our Facebook Page, VIP Billiards - Catonsville for more information on that. We will miss VIP, our customers, our friends, our tournament directors and Pro players, and everyone else that has made our time with VIP so rewarding.

Steve & Jess"

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gosh, that's so sad. It is hard to have a pool room in this area. Too expensive! When USA Billiards in Laurel, MD shut down, I thought for sure the owner would move it somewhere new. He said he would, but to date, he has not.

Sign of the times, I'm afraid. What a shame! :(

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Recession is a key factor to many business failures, be it pool or a local dry cleaning store. Stock marrket is up, and so is un & under employment. Go figure.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The local winter 8 ball league just started, down in number of teams from last year.
A second league that played at outlying bars folded. Neither had any association with
any national organizations. Just running out of players.

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah....VIP was my pool hall. I haven't picked up my cue since I found out. RIP.....thanks for all the memories.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Running out billiards was my hang out for over 30 years, they been closed now for about 3-4 months.

ROB was a landmark also, people would come in from time to time and you could see they were not here to play pool or the machines and they would ask for directions or what happen the other day and someone was always there to give them an answer.

So the pool hall had the reputation around town, if you wanted to know about something go to the pool hall they will know whats going on, i guess maybe cause the pool hall was open everyday even christmas and new years.

tonyboy59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would imagine these are the sign of the times...Running Out Billiards, USA Billiards, Champions (Laurel), Jack and Jill's Cue Club (Glenn Burnie) Howards Cafe (Waldorf) Bill and Billie's (Arnold), Sharkey's (Annapolis) and many more in the area. All places that I use to play in at one time or another. Sorry to hear there's been another addition to the list. I wish those room owners success in opening another establishment.

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Boy that's sad to keep reading threads like these. :(

Hopefully the "bottom" is here and pool can enjoy a begin to enjoy a resurgence in popularity at some point in the not so near future. Guess we gotta get to that bottom before it can start to climb the mountain again. Let's hope...

dom_poppa

Banned
Another pool room has fallen due to various factors. I have played there and hosted nine ball tournaments there. The former owners, Steve and Jessica Didier, were two of the nicest owners you could hope to meet. Rather than trying to provide the details, I have posted this message from their website:

"We feel as if we did everything possible to remain operating for our customers, for as long as we could hold on. Whatever the reasons may be, pool is just not as popular as it once was and good pool rooms are sinking all around us. In our case, first the neighboring property owner banned our customers from parking in his lot - even though there was no open business on his property. That move relegated our customers to squeeze in to the small lot out back, and many customers were not comfortable parking back there. We were also often sharing parking with Baltimore Martial Arts, whose clients easily overburdened all of the available parking. So - we had a pool room with no parking, and to top it off our landlord refused to assign any dedicated parking for VIP.

At the same time, we learned that there are plans underway for the construction of a new building that will occupy most of the parking area in front and will totally block the view of our building from Rt. 40. No parking, no visibility, no signage = no point in staying. There were some other issues at play as well, such as problems reaching a lease agreement with the landlord and the increased crime in the area.

We realize that by closing VIP we hurt our customers - VIP had become a landmark of sorts and it will be missed by many. We also created a gaping hole in the pool community, as there are few "good" pool rooms still in operation, and certainly none locally. For this we apologize and hope you can forgive us.

We were able to store most of the equipment, at least temporarily and WE DO intend to reopen at another location and probably under a different name. Watch our Facebook Page, VIP Billiards - Catonsville for more information on that. We will miss VIP, our customers, our friends, our tournament directors and Pro players, and everyone else that has made our time with VIP so rewarding.

Steve & Jess"

That sucks that it's going to close down. Seems to me that the landlord just didn't want a pool hall there. I don't know why because now they have to find someone to takeover that pool hall's space.

What about that empty building, what looks like an abandon restaurant.

https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf...15&ei=2ftjUoP4OcbJiwLRu4HwBQ&ved=0CKwBEPwSMAk

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That sucks that it's going to close down. Seems to me that the landlord just didn't want a pool hall there. I don't know why because now they have to find someone to takeover that pool hall's space.

What about that empty building, what looks like an abandon restaurant.

https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf...15&ei=2ftjUoP4OcbJiwLRu4HwBQ&ved=0CKwBEPwSMAk
That abandoned building used to be Pizza Hut. Now it has a sign that says "Mattress Discounters". Even if they were to acquire that building they still would prefer to leave the neighborhood, and I am sure the landlord would charge them so much it would be cost-prohibitive.

VIP did not have a kitchen or bar. So they relied almost completely on revenue from pool, which we all know is not very rewarding.

Basically it was a "perfect storm" that hurt them.

I hope they open a room in a nicer area with more appreciative locals. The tournament players and some of the regulars were fine, but the majority of the local crowd seemed to enjoy fighting a bit too much.

Last edited:

samy1969

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well crap, I am in town and sitting in the parking lot. I'm not from here, where else is there to play?

Mike Davis

Silver Member
Sad to hear about them closing. The owners were great people and I hope they're successful at whatever life brings them next wether its reopening or whatever else they get involved in.

Joey V

Registered
There is a distinct possibility that within ten years there will not be one real old fashioned pool room left in the metro area. :frown:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a distinct possibility that within ten years there will not be one real old fashioned pool room left in the metro area. :frown:

Top hat and big daddy's are the only 'real' pool rooms I know of in the Baltimore/dc area. All the others are bars with loud music.

Both are in md, both are great rooms. Va has nothing to compare to them, sadly.

Joey V

Registered
Top hat and big daddy's are the only 'real' pool rooms I know of in the Baltimore/dc area. All the others are bars with loud music.

Both are in md, both are great rooms. Va has nothing to compare to them, sadly.

Yup. That's about all that is left. I usually hang at Top Hat a couple days a week. Cant't beat the deal there. Play all day for 5 bucks.

beetle

Do I bug you?
Silver Member
This was a great, no-frills pool-room with wonderful owners. Sorry I couldn't patronize it more, but always had a good time when I was there.

It will always have a good spot in my heart since it's the pool-room where I won my only tournament! I also got second there in a tough, but small field, trying to win a spot for Ozzy's East Coast Tournament. I guess that means I always felt comfortable there and played better than average.

Can't wait until they reopen somewhere (hopefully Gaithersburg/Rockville, Maryland...Hint, Hint).

--Steve

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Only went to them twice but the room itself seemed good. But yeah, the lot and location sucked.
It was set far back from the road + sort of in a pit, you'd hardly notice it from the road anyway.
They're correct thinking a new building in front would kill them, you'd only get people who found it
on google or something.

In my experience when places close and say it's temporary, it somehow doesn't happen.
Hope that's wrong and they can actually find a better location. They know what they're doing,
the right spot could make all the difference.