my two headed monster,.,.,.,.

Worminator

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If I was a cue builder I would never post on this site. I totally understand why many who did at one time no longer do. I appreciate those that do, don't get me wrong, but why take the abuse unless you are a masochist.

Great cuemakers don't post here because...

#1. They don't need to in order to try to drum up business
#2. They are actually busy designing and building cues

The great cuemakers would not have to worry about abuse.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
No offense

Great cuemakers don't post here because...

#1. They don't need to in order to try to drum up business
#2. They are actually busy designing and building cues

The great cuemakers would not have to worry about abuse.

I don't know you but I know you have good intentions, as does Skins who I consider a personal friend, but I did not say anything about "great" cue builders and to be honest one of the "greatest" IMHO, he will not proclaim this himself, told me to not judge as everything is subjective. I had a small mind about cue building before, Skins initially set me straight and others have told me to be respectful and realize if a master doesn't judge than how do I have the right. Nothing personal Jamie or Tim but you should't judge either. Tom

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I don't know you but I know you have good intentions, as does Skins who I consider a personal friend, but I did not say anything about "great" cue builders and to be honest one of the "greatest" IMHO, he will not proclaim this himself, told me to not judge as everything is subjective. I had a small mind about cue building before, Skins initially set me straight and others have told me to be respectful and realize if a master doesn't judge than how do I have the right. Nothing personal Jamie or Tim but you should't judge either. Tom

Mine is not so much to "judge" Tom, as it is to maybe shed more light to those who love cues. That includes other makers if they'll listen... Like you said, you had a little blurriness at one point now your vision is a little clearer... I LOVE cues. I LOVE the process of building cues. But what I love MOST about them is when high level process meet tasteful originality....THAT combonation IS what makes a GREAT cue maker IMHO.

I really respect originality. In ALL forms. From new shapes or just a new look of existing to new ways of using materials.. It's ALL good. I think that's what defines one work. Puts a maker in their own category. Ultimately what I think ANY maker would want.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
That's my friend

Mine is not so much to "judge" Tom, as it is to maybe shed more light to those who love cues. That includes other makers if they'll listen... Like you said, you had a little blurriness at one point now your vision is a little clearer... I LOVE cues. I LOVE the process of building cues. But what I love MOST about them is when high level process meet tasteful originality....THAT combonation IS what makes a GREAT cue maker IMHO.

I really respect originality. In ALL forms. From new shapes or just a new look of existing to new ways of using materials.. It's ALL good. I think that's what defines one work. Puts a maker in their own category. Ultimately what I think ANY maker would want.

This is why I respect you Tim. Your speaking the truth and love the "cue building process". I'm just ready for the debate to cool down a bit. We all obviously love pool cues to a point if you told your best non pool playing friend they would think you are a idiot because you would consider spending 3k on a cue.

Worminator

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I agree with Tim, and I was not insinuating you were speaking of "great" cue makers. I was merely making a point that cuemakers like Ernie, Bob Manzino, Haley, Mobley, Searing ( just to name a few as there are many others) don't post here because they do not need exposure. Their work speaks for itself and there is no need for them to post their work here.

However, if a cuemaker choses to post their work in a public forum, the members of the forum are entirely entitled to post their opinions once the work is made public.

If one cannot live with that fact, then he shouldn't post his work. Leon abviously can live with it, and thus he posts.

It's not a bad thing to have these discussions and share opinions.

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
Now we are getting somewhere with this thread.
An artist needs to understand what was done before them, and what is being done currently in regards to techniques and styles. They then choose to draw from things they deem appropriate and useful, or dismiss others and move in a different direction. Understanding their contemporaries achievments requires a knowledge of the past.
Putting ones art up for critique from the public and experts alike, whether positive or negative, verifies that person as an artist.
I like this cue Leon made. I also like the Boars that led the way for this cue. I can't afford either of them...but I can sure appreciate them as art. I appreciate the craftsmanship and beautiful aesthetics.
In short, in my opinion, it's a great cue by a great artist... No matter the sources for inspiration.

leon sly

old school maniac!!
Silver Member
I post here because i like to...i don't need the Exposure just to try and sell a cue on AZ billiards.. i've been building cues for 15 years i have many cues on order to keep me busy....oh and i'm a big boy i can take the abuse i have since day one. i'll say it again i ain't going anywhere so feel free to hate on me.

Last edited:

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
I agree with Tim, and I was not insinuating you were speaking of "great" cue makers. I was merely making a point that cuemakers like Ernie, Bob Manzino, Haley, Mobley, Searing ( just to name a few as there are many others) don't post here because they do not need exposure. Their work speaks for itself and there is no need for them to post their work here.

However, if a cuemaker choses to post their work in a public forum, the members of the forum are entirely entitled to post their opinions once the work is made public.

If one cannot live with that fact, then he shouldn't post his work. Leon abviously can live with it, and thus he posts.

It's not a bad thing to have these discussions and share opinions.

Sharing opinions is what it is all about.

Don't get me wrong I really like Black Boars Jamie.

However, I wonder what would be the outcome if you put 10 top collectors in a room with a BB and a Leon cue with Loupes and were told to make a objective evaluation.

That would be interesting.

Last edited:

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
I found it interesting spending my youth & formative years growing up in Maryland, how many great cue makers were from the area. 1st Joss cues with Danny Janes, Bill Stroud & Tim Scruggs, then Bill moved & formed Josswest, then Timmy leaving to form his shop with Bob Frey, then Bob Frey leaving to start his shop & Mike Cochran joining with Scruggs. Then there's Mike Lambros, and now for a number of years Mr. Leon Sly.

I started playing old 70's Joss cues, then bought one of Bill Strouds first cues when he formed Josswest. I then switched to Scruggs for a lot of years. Then on to Bob Frey when he went on his own & am proud to own & still play Bob's 1st & 3rd cues. I tried one of Mike Lambros cues when he opened his shop as well. I've been very clear here in this forum in a number of threads how I feel about Black Boar Tony & his cues as well as I had an opportunity when he first opened his shop.

In the end while I can afford to play with whatever I want I always returned to the Frey cues & stick with them to this day as my players although I did retain 1 Scruggs because it plays so well and all I've been through with it because to me cues aren't about art, it's about how they play.

I enjoyed this thread as it made me realize that Leon opened his shop after I'd left the area & his is one cue I haven't owned from the great cue makers that proliferated that region of the country that I will always call home no matter where I am. I like his style, not only his cues but his willingness to do what he wants with his talent irrelevant of what others think, he's got moxie. So thank you for this thread, it made me realize I need to pop in & see Leon & meet him on my next trip back home & commission a build with him. See you soon Leon, looking forward to meeting you. I do like your style.

Last edited:

renegadej

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a cuemaker post a cue he made for people to see and gets jacked.... I've been to leons house and couldn't have meet a nicer person if you got any cues for sale I'm interested whether a so called copy or not haters need to find something constructive to do just my 2 cents

Worminator

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Don't get me wrong I really like Black Boars Jamie.

However, I wonder what would be the outcome if you put 10 top collectors in a room with a BB and a Leon cue with Loupes and were told to make a objective evaluation.

That would be interesting.

I didn't mention BB cues in my post, so I'm not sure what you are referring to Rick. But I do like your idea, I would be in for that evaluation.

Worminator

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
a cuemaker post a cue he made for people to see and gets jacked.... I've been to leons house and couldn't have meet a nicer person if you got any cues for sale I'm interested whether a so called copy or not haters need to find something constructive to do just my 2 cents

It's a public forum, so no one really has any personal rights to a thread. And, I don't see anyone "hating"... people are posting opinions, just as you just posted yours. You don't agree some of the opinions posted, and many won't agree with your post.

JoshStodola

My stroke is garbage
Silver Member
THAT combonation IS what makes a GREAT cue maker IMHO.

Well then, I guess to become "great" all Leon needs to do is hire
some arrogant self-aggrandizing jerk to do his grunt work for him?

:eek:

And we all know you don't just pull that medieval crap out of
your ass Tim, so why don't you share with us your sources of
inspiration?

dom_poppa

Banned

inspiration?

It's unique but gaudy to my eyes.

This is what I don't get...there are people that try too hard to be unique. They want to be the first. For example, Thomas Wayne probably has some great technique in building a cue but his designs are not that great. Yes, we get it, the technique is great in applying the design but the design isn't all that great.

What should have more emphasis? Design or technique? Searing has boring designs but makes it up for his technique and builds because they are supposedly flawless.

Last edited:

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member

inspiration?

That not cool, Tim is more knowledgeable and helpful than just about anyone on AZ.
This must have something to do with the arguing over those stupid production , I mean "tribute" cues.

mia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's unique but gaudy to my eyes.

This is what I don't get...there are people that try too hard to be unique. They want to be the first. For example, Thomas Wayne probably has some great technique in building a cue but his designs are not that great. Yes, we get it, the technique is great in applying the design but the design isn't all that great.

What should have more emphasis? Design or technique? Searing has boring designs but makes it up for his technique and builds because they are supposedly flawless.

So Searing builds a traditional style cue OR a cue that is traditional with some more unique/modern elements and you find it "boring". Thomas makes cues that are absolutely unique and extremely intricate and in your opinion, the designs are "not that great".

Based on almost everything I've read by you before I've always suspected this but your post above confirms... you have God-awful taste and opinions.

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
Dom_poppa lost a good opportunity to be quiet. He has no clue what he's talking about regarding Searing or TW... He just has to say something about everything... It's called keyboard and forum addiction...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk