getting to where i really hate 9 ball

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I friggin hate the slop in 9 ball. Now it may seem strange coming from some onw who is known as a staunch supporter of spa..yea I know there is slop in apa 8 ball also but you really don't see much slop playing 8 ball except lower levels.

No one is fool enough to hit anything at warp speed i. Due fo the possibility of an early 8.

9 ball is different though. When most people get in a tight they smack the object ball at warp speed and something usually falls and they are good on the next ball and I they Int you are locked up tighter than ft. Knox.

It's realm frustrating to see a 5 run 4-5 balls...get outa position and them luck one in or hook you.

It realm gets me outa my game to where I can't even make a ball when I should.

I play better and have a higher win percentage against 7's and above than I do against 5's who resort to slop.

Take tonight for example.

Played another 5 in 9 ball and low 38-31. He slopped about 8 In. I got so upset I missed one time with bih.damn !

A half I play the same guy 8 ball and I shut him out 4-0.mainly because he can't sma k anything at warp speed when he gets outa position for fear of an early 8.

Yea I know I need more mental toughness when faced with that crap but easier said than done.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea I know I need more mental toughness when faced with that crap but easier said than done.

This is really the only important part of your post. Stop being such a baby.

And I don't want to bash the APA, but you really shouldn't be complaining when you're part of a league filled with players that don't give a shit about getting any better.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can feel you.
I hate guys banging at balls on a 7" - and something usually falls on that tiny table. But only until the 6 or so. Then it's work again. Which I gladly do and win :grin:

Play 8ball or 14.1 as a balance. Play crap hard safeties for a change instead of taking chances and see how the slop then behaves.

It's a mental aspect, but keep on working to come over it.

Cheers,
M

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Level

If you watch top level players you will not see this. Players like Efren, Cory, Earl etcetera make 9 ball an Art. What you are watching would happen with any Pool game , I have seen lower level players call ridiculous combinations in straight Pool out of frustration or a lack of knowledge . In the 90's I played on a 8 ball bar league most players just tried to block a pocket with their ball instead of mapping out a run.
Nine ball played correctly by good players is a great game to watch.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quit the leagues and play in the pool halls. Find sparring partners. Find gambling partners. Find local weekly tournaments. Find the top local players and play them even sets for cheapish.

They you will see what real 9 ball is about.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
If you watch top level players you will not see this. Players like Efren, Cory, Earl etcetera make 9 ball an Art.

Kee-rect! Quit watching Bangers play pool.
If you want to eliminate watching slop completely, watch some good players play One Pocket. Be sure, however, to bring your slippers, a thermos of hot chocolate, and a good book. Even good One Pocket can be a bit tedious. :)

beerpressure

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought we just had one of these threads two days ago?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is really the only important part of your post. Stop being such a baby.

And I don't want to bash the APA, but you really shouldn't be complaining when you're part of a league filled with players that don't give a shit about getting any better.

I can accept your statement in your 1 st paragraph.

Your comments in your 2nd paragraph I can't accept.this is not about spa...although I did mention the league I play in ...its really about a game that allows slop in all leagues all the way up to the pro level and more so about people who resort to slop when in a hard spot.

It's funny you mention about players not giving a shit about improving after my encounter with a s/l 3 at master league yesterday. Yes ...you read that right ..a 3 .

I happen to play master even though I am only a 5.we also have a few other 5's also. The rest are 6's or higher.

I first joined as a 4 a few years ago...because I lol the format and i wanted to learn .i was the lowest that had ever joined until I met this 3 I faced yesterday.i had seen him around but did not know his handicap until after playing a rack that it was evident he was not at my level so I asked his handicap.

He said he was a 3 but joined so he could learn and improve.now this may come as a shock to you but during our match I gave him advice on what I saw needed improvement such as his stance and bridge and even one time o asked him if he wanted advice on how to make the 8 ball when he left himself hard.....a time out if you will to my opponent. Needless to say he won that rack and was really surprised at my offer to help him win it.

Just goes to show you that you cant paint all players in apa with a broad brush based on what you hear from all the naysayers

Like I said I joined as a 4 but had to quit due to work interference and just rejoined recently. O wish it was more popular but most people are afraid to play in a non handicap format. We only play one weekend a month...wish it was every week .

Last edited:

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I friggin hate the slop in 9 ball. Now it may seem strange coming from some onw who is known as a staunch supporter of spa..yea I know there is slop in apa 8 ball also but you really don't see much slop playing 8 ball except lower levels.

No one is fool enough to hit anything at warp speed i. Due fo the possibility of an early 8.

9 ball is different though. When most people get in a tight they smack the object ball at warp speed and something usually falls and they are good on the next ball and I they Int you are locked up tighter than ft. Knox.

It's realm frustrating to see a 5 run 4-5 balls...get outa position and them luck one in or hook you.

It realm gets me outa my game to where I can't even make a ball when I should.

I play better and have a higher win percentage against 7's and above than I do against 5's who resort to slop.

Take tonight for example.

Played another 5 in 9 ball and low 38-31. He slopped about 8 In. I got so upset I missed one time with bih.damn !

A half I play the same guy 8 ball and I shut him out 4-0.mainly because he can't sma k anything at warp speed when he gets outa position for fear of an early 8.

Someone who is a weak player slopping in a ball is a meaningless worry. Worry about the guy who runs out. Why would I concern myself with a guy who misses and make mistakes. I love this guy, luck is not going to save him.

Last edited:

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone who is a weak player slopping in a ball is a meaningless worry. Worry about the guy who runs out. Why would I concern myself with a guy who misses and make mistakes. I love this guy, luck is not going to save him.

100% true if you're matching up, but much less so in a tournament race setting. There, luck can save him, and sometimes does. It's the nature of 9-ball, not APA.

It happened to me yesterday: a guy got out with two total slops shots out of 5 total shots to win the hill game. Not much you can do but say, "well, that's 9-ball for you" and shake hands.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Quit the leagues and play in the pool halls. Find sparring partners. Find gambling partners. Find local weekly tournaments. Find the top local players and play them even sets for cheapish.

They you will see what real 9 ball is about.

Seriously. Stop playing league banger 9ball on a bar box and start playing it on a big table against actual pool players.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
when playing better quality players, slop-ins are less of a concern and for the low-skill players who live for slop, shoot their livers out or, preferably, move on to more challenging pastures.

best,
brian kc

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
100% true if you're matching up, but much less so in a tournament race setting. There, luck can save him, and sometimes does. It's the nature of 9-ball, not APA.

It happened to me yesterday: a guy got out with two total slops shots out of 5 total shots to win the hill game. Not much you can do but say, "well, that's 9-ball for you" and shake hands.

Pool is plagued by luck but most never notice it unless it happens at a critical point in the match.

Tha score could be 0 to 0 and you over play a position and instead of being snookered you can just see the edge of the ball and run out. That one shot in the first rack may have changed the overall outcome of the match but you will never know it. In fact unless you were shown a video of the match you would not ever remember it.

The same with a basketball team who is beat by a 3 pointer at the final buzzer. Then you find they missed 15 foul shots through out the game. All you will remember is that 3 pointer you will blame for losing,

"They got so lucky".

It takes a whole game and match to win not just one shot. Just play your best all the time and don't worry about luck, yours or theirs.

Last edited:

ssbn610g

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welcome to 9 ball. Some nights they are lucky all night and you seem to always get the short end of the stick. But, in the long run, you keep your cool and your perspective they will lose especially if you are better. I like to play bangers as they will usually leave you your opportunity. It is your job to run out when you get your chance. You can only control your game and your performance. What they do is beyond your control.

If you really can't stand the slop, play call shot/ call safety 10 ball.

Al

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welcome to 9 ball. Some nights they are lucky all night and you seem to always get the short end of the stick. But, in the long run, you keep your cool and your perspective they will lose especially if you are better. I like to play bangers as they will usually leave you your opportunity. It is your job to run out when you get your chance. You can only control your game and your performance. What they do is beyond your control.

If you really can't stand the slop, play call shot/ call safety 10 ball.

Al

That would only change one aspect of the so called luck. You can't control the lay of the balls after a break or getting hooked after he misses. All sport has luck so to speak, be it horse racing or hockey but you usually don't notice it unless happens at a critical time.

ssbn610g

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That would only change one aspect of the so called luck. You can't control the lay of the balls after a break or getting hooked after he misses. All sport has luck so to speak, be it horse racing or hockey but you usually don't notice it unless happens at a critical time.

Yup, this is true but in the end over a period of time, I believe stats tend to even out. When I break, I am trying to make a wing ball, keep the CB in the middle, and send the one ball down table toward the corner pocket. Doesn't work all the time but it works better than all luck. Is there luck, yup. Sometimes you are the bug and not the windshield. :D

I could also say that you can pattern rack like Shane. That's another discussion.

Al

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Funny, all this about league players and "real" players....

Just played in a tournament yesterday, one that was structured in a way to get some league players in and still have the better players in the room play too. (Yes, handicapped, and tiered in the beginning so the lesser players didn't get their brains beat in at the beginning.)

As I watched the day pass, there were more than a few slop shots made by the better players in the room. Always, always, they shrugged, some said sorry, and on they went.

Kinda the way I look at it. I really am not happy when I crap one in, but its part of the game, so I sure am gonna keep shooting. And I'll always make some sort of self-deprecating remark about it, as well.

The ones that are really annoying are the ones that hoot and holler about it.